Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 3500 12 inch uconnect issues

Gunnwolf

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 3500 crewcab, 4x4,LB, $70k , it has the 12 inch screen uconnect system. At 300 miles screen started locking up showing SiriusXM loading for hours at a time. Notified dealership advised of ongoing radio issues, came in for service and techs could not duplicate issues, advised to drive for a few days to see if it resolves. The next day the issues continued, start truck it would take anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes before screen would be active and sometimes 3 to 4 hours with several truck starts. Yesterday started truck screen has SiriusXM loading on screen and remained the entire day, No sound , phone. Called dealership advised issue continuing and getting more severe. The info screen with mph numbers became distorted , uconnect froze up, restarted truck mph numbers back to normal size and 12 screen still froze. They advised to bring back to dealership again and leave truck. It has 900 total miles and 2/3 s of those miles without a properly functioning 12 inch uconnect .

I've read that others have had the same issues and how was it resolved.

BigBlue

Reaction score
I have had similar, recurring intermittent problems with the Uconnect 12" system. The audio will mysteriously not come on. All Audio. Audio for AM, FM, Sirius and even my Phone's Carplay audio. Nothing. $85k truck - this is maddening. I have taken to remote starting the truck with the keyfob; this way my iPhone is not in or near the vehicle. So far this has worked. In other cases, I have had to turn off the vehicle for a minimum of 60 seconds, exit the vehicle and just stand outside the truck waiting to try starting it again; this works about 1/2 the time. Once the truck is experiencing the zero-audio problem, it will NEVER correct itself without a complete vehicle shutdown. In other words, simply powering down the Uconnect and powering it back up (while driving) will NEVER correct the issue. There is clearly a hardware or software problem with the unit. I brought it into the dealership and they updated the software but the problem still exists. Is there a fix out there?

Gunnwolf

Reaction score
I have had similar, recurring intermittent problems with the Uconnect 12" system. The audio will mysteriously not come on. All Audio. Audio for AM, FM, Sirius and even my Phone's Carplay audio. Nothing. $85k truck - this is maddening. I have taken to remote starting the truck with the keyfob; this way my iPhone is not in or near the vehicle. So far this has worked. In other cases, I have had to turn off the vehicle for a minimum of 60 seconds, exit the vehicle and just stand outside the truck waiting to try starting it again; this works about 1/2 the time. Once the truck is experiencing the zero-audio problem, it will NEVER correct itself without a complete vehicle shutdown. In other words, simply powering down the Uconnect and powering it back up (while driving) will NEVER correct the issue. There is clearly a hardware or software problem with the unit. I brought it into the dealership and they updated the software but the problem still exists. Is there a fix out there?
After 2 visits for the issue with less than 900 miles on new truck, and leaving truck for a couple days, the dealership is ordering a new 12 inch screen, apparently there has been an ongoing issue with the 12 inch screen with SiriusXM locking up audio. The units are made by Panasonic and have had download issues this year. They advised it takes a month to get new unit in do to programing to vehicle specific add ons and an hour to install.

BigBlue

Reaction score
After 2 visits for the issue with less than 900 miles on new truck, and leaving truck for a couple days, the dealership is ordering a new 12 inch screen, apparently there has been an ongoing issue with the 12 inch screen with SiriusXM locking up audio. The units are made by Panasonic and have had download issues this year. They advised it takes a month to get new unit in do to programing to vehicle specific add ons and an hour to install.
Please let me know if your problems are fixed once the new unit is installed!

hcooperrn

Reaction score
Tagging onto the conversation to follow -- I've had a speaker that is non-stop static. They replaced the speaker, which only worked for a day. The static returned, and now, about 1/3rd of the time, after a few minutes, I lose all sound of any type, just like you guys are describing.

I'll be going back to the dealership again soon...

2020 2500 Limited fwiw.

Manny2500

Reaction score
Same exact issue, less than a week old 2020 RAM 2500 Laramie. Called the salesman and he said it just needs a software update. Not sure that will fix from what I've read so far. Please keep us posted and I'll do the same.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Tagging onto the conversation to follow -- I've had a speaker that is non-stop static. They replaced the speaker, which only worked for a day. The static returned, and now, about 1/3rd of the time, after a few minutes, I lose all sound of any type, just like you guys are describing.

I'll be going back to the dealership again soon...

2020 2500 Limited fwiw.

Same exact issue, less than a week old 2020 RAM 2500 Laramie. Called the salesman and he said it just needs a software update. Not sure that will fix from what I've read so far. Please keep us posted and I'll do the same.

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
Ram Cares

Danny870

Reaction score
MY 2020 3500 with the 12 inch does that also. if i turn off Sirius before i turn the truck off it seams to work

Danny870

Reaction score
Same here 2020 3500 let use know when they find a fix for it.

Brewster59

Reaction score
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
Ram Cares
I am having same issues with my 2020 ram3500 longhorn with 12” display unit. Sometimes it starts up and works good. Then sometimes it just sets there loading Siri’s. After stoping and restarting truck during the day it will start working. It is very frustrating do the dealers have a fix for it?

dragon_ram

Reaction score
I’ve had this since day 1. Bought July 2020. Sirius XM is the culprit. When it happens you’ll know cause it’ll give the 5-dot loading screen. RAM Cares sent an email about holding steering wheel controls and door open/closed etc... NEVER worked for me. Saw this on the forums and decided to kinda wait it out. Service department says “lots of issues / COVID / slow responses / COVID / needs updates / COVID / updates aren’t coming thru” and in the end recommends I deal with it until they get new radio updates. I honestly didn’t expect anything more from them.

The good news - it hasn’t locked up for me in the past 2 months (I probably jinxed myself), whereas before it would do it every week. If it does happen, you have about 1.5 seconds to turn that volume dial down to 0 (or something low) before you lose control, so you don’t have to listen to Sirius XM advertising for the rest of your drive. Typically after the truck has been OFF for 30+ mins it returns to normal.

Not what you expect from a vehicle like this. But hey... COVID.

Brewster59

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will try to wait it out to. I did read where if you have a smart with the blue tooth connected to Uconnect it can cause issues. I am going to turn off the blue tooth on the phone and see if that helps.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I am having same issues with my 2020 ram3500 longhorn with 12” display unit. Sometimes it starts up and works good. Then sometimes it just sets there loading Siri’s. After stoping and restarting truck during the day it will start working. It is very frustrating do the dealers have a fix for it?

Alison
Ram Cares

housedrx

Reaction score
I had an issue at 400 miles where all sound went total garbled static. Went to the dealer and the did a hard reboot (disconnect battery for 15 to 20 min) and sound was good. Left to go home and had no XM and the heater controls were stuck on high fan full heat. Went back and they said return at 730 am and they would call Ram (I'm retired so I could do that). However when I got home I did some Google research and found after a hard reboot it could take up to 90 min to finish the reboot after getting remote signals. PRESTO...1 hour later it was all good. I did have crappy XM and they had to replace a bad antenna but I will say that the sat radio in this truck is by far the poorest system I have ever had....not worth the money

Don-T

Reaction score
I had most of the issues talked about with the 12" display in my '19. While in the phone with the service advisor at the dealer I was told to disconnect the batteries and let it sit for 30 minutes. I did and when I hooked the batteries back up the 12" display wanted my PIN number to restart. I didn't have it so I called the dealer back. They gave me the PIN but it didn't work. I took the truck to the dealer and they were not able to get it working either. After they spend two weeks emailing back and forth with an engineer with no luck, and the engineer refusing to authorize a new unit, I talked the dealer into giving me a good trade and I got rid of it. I guess the point is, be careful disconnecting the reconnecting the batteries. You may brick the 12" system.

Not being very bright, I have another truck on order with the 12" system. I hope it works better.

JayD

Reaction score
All - FWIW - The static sound (at least on my truck with the 12" screen) is the XM radio playing AND the AM radio static noise. It can be fixed by individually pressing each source and returning to Sirius/XM. Just press the BT, FM, AM and the go back to Sirius/XM....static noise will be gone. I only know this because one time this happened to me while I was close to an AM radio station and actually heard a sports broadcast in the static while Sirius/XM was playing.

Hope that helps some...

Buffalogal

Reaction score
I have been fighting issues with my 12" screen for over three months. They replaced radio...didn't help. Then they replaced screen...didn't help. Next they are going to replace antenna,
at my request. Just doesn't seem to be getting a strong signal for loading.

mrtucker997

Reaction score

Same exact issue. My truck has run fine and the 12" system works fine for about 20,000 miles. suddenly this exact issue. all audio mysteriously disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread