Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 Rambox and 5th Wheel Hitch

BonesF15

Reaction score
Before I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 with Rambox, I asked the Ram Dealer and the 5th Wheel dealer if I could tow with the Rambox and they said yes. Now e trailer is saying no hitch manufactures will allow them to say that it can be done. I have a Grand Design 295RL and it has the turning point hitch (turns at the trailer). I think it would be fine, but looking to see if anyone has been successful with this. I am leaning toward a B&W RVK3600 hitch. Really hoping this will work

Thanks in advance!

Bones

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Before I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 with Rambox, I asked the Ram Dealer and the 5th Wheel dealer if I could tow with the Rambox and they said yes. Now e trailer is saying no hitch manufactures will allow them to say that it can be done. I have a Grand Design 295RL and it has the turning point hitch (turns at the trailer). I think it would be fine, but looking to see if anyone has been successful with this. I am leaning toward a B&W RVK3600 hitch. Really hoping this will work

Thanks in advance!

Bones
You would be more than fine those turning point hitches are great.... i towed one trailer for a friend that had one was a dream to tow and back in to tight places the fact that the pinbox stays inline with the box ensures it will be great with the ram box as the only concern with the ram boxes is the swing of the pin box remember e trailer is a joke they dont know what they are talking about only how to read the hitch brochure

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
dealers are clueless. Never trust them when they say your truck “has X” or “does Y” always verify on your own.

Pronto

Reaction score
dealers are clueless. Never trust them when they say your truck “has X” or “does Y” always verify on your own.

That accounts for probably most of it but the rest is that they will lie to you right to your face if they think that will help them make the sale.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I have seen two RAM rambox equipped trucks with 5th wheel hitches. Both had the hitch head almost even with the bedrails. The adjusted the pin box accordingly they told me. They said all works well.

Perhaps you have the adjustability to do the same?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have seen two RAM rambox equipped trucks with 5th wheel hitches. Both had the hitch head almost even with the bedrails. The adjusted the pin box accordingly they told me. They said all works well.

Perhaps you have the adjustability to do the same?
with a turning point hitch where the pinbox attaches to the trailer is where the turning happens the pin box stays in line with the truck with a wedge in the 5th wheel hitch

Attachments

• 391F1755-AD40-430D-81D0-6DFDF0B37311.jpeg
    391F1755-AD40-430D-81D0-6DFDF0B37311.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 22

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the RVK3600 a puck mount hitch?

You can't go wrong with a B&W turnover ball and 3500 hitch. The turnover ball setup also gives you the option of using an offset ball if needed. Not a fan of the turning point/sidewinder type pinboxes as they shift the pivot point to more of a bumper pull experience, but most are on smaller trailers like your 295RL and don't tend to be problems unless perhaps you're double towing with it.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
with a turning point hitch where the pinbox attaches to the trailer is where the turning happens the pin box stays in line with the truck with a wedge in the 5th wheel hitch
That is not what these two fellows had in their trucks. I've seen those hitches also.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That is not what these two fellows had in their trucks. I've seen those hitches also.

I don't think he was disagreeing with you.

That said, I don't think the turning point has enough adjustment in it to raise the pinbox high enough to clear the bedrails with a rambox in a tight turn.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I don't think he was disagreeing with you.

That said, I don't think the turning point has enough adjustment in it to raise the pinbox high enough to clear the bedrails with a rambox in a tight turn.

I've seen the turning point pin boxes and they work well for some. And I was just clarifying what I saw.

The speciality 5th wheel and gooseneck connections out there work well. But limits what trailers one can pull.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What i am saying is he does not need to have adjustment with that pin box just to clarify when you asked about if he had adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread