Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 BigHorn 6.4 tick / knock when cold for a few mins.

Hdauncey

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. New to the forum and new to the 6.4. So far love the truck but as it’s starting to get cold up in the north east I’ve noticed a 1.5 to 2 min. Heavy tick / light knock when starting. You can hear it in the wheel wells and under the truck. Definitely not manifolds. Went over all of them with an electronic ear. Truck has 12k on it and has been meticulously dealer maintained. It’s definitely louder than the hemi tick of the early 5.7s that I’ve driven. Just wondering if anyone else has this and if it’s normal.
Thanks everyone!

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
There is a pretty lengthy post about the same within the Hemi sub-forum.

Hdauncey

Reaction score
Hi @LateToTheParty
Thanks for the heads up on that I read over that forum and my noise is definitely not a squeek or squal from the exhaust (mine does that too but its less terrifying to me then the clatter inside). This is a mechanical noise inside the engine when its cold.

thanks!

Hdauncey

Reaction score
Hi @Squatch
Dealer Serviced it a little over 1k ago when we picked it up. So relatively recently. Its a new to us truck that was "RAM Certified". Bought it with 11k on it. Thanks! Ill take a video of the noise a little later. I just dont know if its a normal noise for these 6.4's

Thanks!

Squatch

Reaction score
From what I have read about these trucks, they are super picky about the oil you put in them. I’d make sure they put the pennzoil ultra platinum that it calls for in there. I know with the 5.7 they will start having a tick where the roller lifters chew up the cam lobes and certain oils will stop the tick and others will make it worse. Luckily you are under warranty, so I’d get it to the shop and let them make it right.

Tom196

Reaction score
Tripped across this thread researching issues on my truck. Bought my 6.4 hemi in 11/19. Took it in for service on 5/20 and complained of the A/C issues and of a ticking noise at cold start up. Back then the dealer mechanic didnt like the ticking noise and kept it for a week but couldn’t find the problem. I was told that “corporate” determined it was normal. Fast forward to this month, had to have it towed because it wouldn’t start even with a jump and swapping out the battery. I also complained about the ticking noise again at start up.

They now tell me it is coming from the lower end and they dont think it is a valve/head issue. They are putting a new engine in it under warranty.....it has 11,500 miles on it. Then I find the TSB for the A/C and advise my service advisor who wasn’t aware of this....he said he would check into this and let me know.

New engine and the dash has to be tore out to fix the A/C issues....sigh....

Users who are viewing this thread