Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 2500 Big Horn Transmission Issue

pionex_80

Reaction score
Truck is a 2019 2500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, Long Bed with the 6.7L and the 48RE transmission. Truck has just over 30K on it today. The issue I am having with the truck is rough shifting and the transmission when driving with the truck in normal shift (D) and not using tow mode or limiter switches. The truck will shift so fast up, but hangs on to the gear going down. For example I can be driving through a 20 mph school zone, and I approach the school zone the truck will start lugging through the zone, and I will almost have to stop to get it to downshift to a gear that allows the truck to idle through the zone. Also, once I do get the truck down to a better gear, if I idle along the truck will actually shift up again when going just over 1100 rpm or so and right back to lugging again.

In this one community I travel through I need to slow to 35 mph, and then the zone will increase up a slight upgrade to 45 mph zone. The truck will shift down to a point where I am travelling 35 at about 1100 rpm, and then once I hit the 45 zone I want to increase speed the truck is lugging. If I want the truck to down shift, I have to depress the pedal so far and then once the truck does downshift the engine jumps up in RPM to like 25-2800 rpm.

I feel like the truck is not shifting right. Up shifts are way to fast, and then the truck likes to hang onto the gear. The truck had the valve body work done per a recall, and I have had the truck in the shop three times now for this fault. The first time they put the transmission into relearn mode, and it shifted better for two days, then right back to the same old way of shifting badly. The second time the truck was in the shop told me that there was an update that was applied, and once again it shifted okay for about two days and right back to shifting badly. Third time the truck was in, I was told that the truck was running an incorrect software update and had to be corrected. Again, the truck shifted okay for about 2-3 days and then right back to shifting badly.

Is it me? Is anyone else having trouble like this? I need to take the truck back again, and this time in the notes I got from the dealer, they need to escalate the case. I have to keep taking time off from work, and get a ride, and drop off/lose the truck for a day, and as this all happens I am getting closer to that 36 bumper to bumper warranty, when things might change in the way the dealer is working with me now.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
68RFE transmission you mean??
Also powertrain is longer than bumper to bumper as well as there is a clause in warranty I believe that if the same issue keeps happening past warranty, this issue still has to be covered as it obviously was not fixed all the previous times...

pionex_80

Reaction score
I did mean the 68RFE transmission. I apologize for the error. Yesterday issue got worse it seems. And, it sounds like there was a gnashing sound. No slipping, or abnormal trans temps noted. No leaks, and I checked fluid level this morning too. If you can open the attached word document you can see the sort of issues I am experiencing. When I went through a community I travel through on the way to work, the speed reduces from 55 to 35 mph. The truck downshifted, and just as soon as it reached 35, I put my foot on the accelerator just to hold the mph and it upshifted again all in about 2 seconds and then lugged. Same sort of thing happened through the school zone of 20 mph. Truck will upshift rapidly and most noticeably from 1-2-3 super quick. I can gently accelerate and once the truck gets to maybe 1250 rpm it will shift, and then immediately shift again into 3rd. Someone suggested that it might have something to do with the torque converter lock out solenoid sticking? I tried to drive the truck in tow mode, but that changed nothing really.

Another issue that occurred yesterday that on the way home my engine's fan just kept engaging and then disengaging at about 188-195 degrees. It had not done that before. Transmission temps have been consistently in the 168 degree area. Engine is lacking power too. I am taking it into a different dealer now near Cicero, NY to see if they find anything or resolution to any of the issues I am having.

Thanks for the reply!

Aketay

Reaction score
Any resolution of the problem you might like to share with the rest of us?

pionex_80

Reaction score
I have to apologize. I had not been on the platform for a bit. Busy with work. No, no resolution. The thing I do not get is that if I leave the truck sit for a period, maybe a week or so, the truck shifts better for a few days then right back to its ways. Lately, I have been just dealing with it. Still notice fan is running more than it used to as well. Temp is running about 188 to 195, so I dont think that is so hot. Not sure either what the temp is that the fan is supposed to engage on. If the AC is on high I wonder if that makes the fan engage? If the shifting continues I plan to take it back again.... On a good note they did repair my shifting seat finally. The replacement of the lower sliding track did the trick and no more popping when making turns or rougher terrain. The told me they updated my sluggish radio, but I don't think they did anything. I have come to believe that the uconnect 5 is a sluggish piece of crap. I am upgrading that to the 8.4 next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread