Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Ram 2500 Transmission Issues

dmcalpi

Reaction score
Have gotten codes p0871, p0934, p2706, p0735, p0729.

Got those codes in order. I replaced the high pressure sensor. That seemed to work for all of 15 minutes. Then it kept doing the same thing. I unplugged battery to eliminate the code. I got on the interstate for the 3 hour drive home and it worked fine until I hit stop and go traffic 1.5 hours in. Then the light came on again and it went into limp mode. This has been going on for about 10 months (it's my only work truck and I haven't had time to shut it down to get it looked at). The only code that came up in thst time is the first one listed above. The second came up a few days after I replaced the pressure sensor. The third was probably a week or two after that. I've had no other codes come up for about a month and then the last two came up. What is odd is that it never tried to shift into 5th or 6th when the check engine light came on. It tried yesterday and today (only when it was cool and I just cranked it up). It would shift into 5th but if I didn't keep the speed up it would immediately shift back down to 4th and then once the speed got back up to 5th gear it would try again. The rpms would Rev up to about 3500. I'd let off the gas and it would get into that gear.

I'm going to replace the shift solenoids tomorrow. But the question is, has anyone else had this and am I wasting my time with the solenoids? At this point I feel like I'll need a new transmission.

Buckeye6.4

Reaction score
If it’s not slipping I would bet it is either the valvebody or solenoid pack. Both are known issues in the rfe transmissions. I would change both if going as far as the solenoid pack. Matter of fact I just changed both of mine only because they are known failure areas. Do not go back to oem because aftermarket units address the weak points.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I would stop randomly throwing parts/money at it and get a professional to look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread