Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Power Wagon Tranny troubles

Albertapowerwagon

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Power Wagon with 91000km(56,000miles) I recently had a shudder in the tranny. from a stop when it hits second gear it shuddered! My fuel economy has been really bad as in when I am on the highway If I am doing 100KMph I am 3000 rpm!

I did take it to the dealership they did do a up date on the tranny/computer that worked for about a week, then back to the way it was.
Then code P0871 came up on their scanner, so they replaced the shift solenoid I think it was, that lasted about 45 mins when I got back home it started acting up again, sometimes the cruise control would work sometimes not, bad fuel economy again.
Dealer tells me they know the tranny has to be replaced but they have to go through proto call before ordering a new tranny.
Tmw i take it in to get a new valve body for the tranny, the engine light came on today, I used my code reader at the code P0871 showed up again, that was the solenoid they already replaced, they don't know how long it will last, then after that they can order a new tranny for my truck. Due to supply and demand they think it could take 4 weeks to get a tranny and likely longer! I have shopped around a OEM standard tranny is around $5300 a heavy duty trailer hauler tranny is $6300. a brand new tranny from dodge is $11,000!

My question is has anyone here had this happen with their power wagon with this shudder in the tranny and bad fuel economy? I was talking with some buddys who said the clutches don't get pressed together hard enough and don't hold due to low pressures so they slip, the fibers from those clutches enter the fluid then plug of ports/screens then there's even less pressure, once they slip they are done, you have to replace the tranny?

Has anyone had this code come up? Anyone have any info they can share?

Users who are viewing this thread