Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 RAM 2500 Exhaust Service Required — See Dealer Now When cold

dudkas

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've owned this truck for just over 6 months and have had a few issues with the DEF/DPF system. Its in great shape and not towed, a daily driver in combo highway/small town. Approx. 175,000 kilometers or 106,000 miles. Had it at the dealer twice for numerous codes for DEF/DPF system and Turbo Actuator.
I have been using a Bluetooth module in the OBDII socket and the App Torque Pro on my phone. I have been monitoring all the EGT, DPF Press and Mass Airflow readings. When the truck is cold ( I am in Canada) and I drive it lightly, I get Exhaust Service Required — See Dealer Now. The DPF Press usually is the 65K PSI range at idle and goes in a normal value when I accelerate. Seems backwards to me. As the truck warms, the message will go away and the DPG Pressure will settle in the 100-200 psi range depending on the load of the engine.
My truck doesn't tell me when it goes into regen so I monitor the EGT's through this app. The time between regen does vary and the numbers are inconsistent. Normally one or more EGT will increase into the high 500 deg C range.
I am concerned these indicators may be something worse brewing. I have most recently seen code P244A in memory but when I rescanned the truck it was gone. I've talked to the dealer and have been told unless it a hard failure and the truck presents a code, its shotgun maintenance. We love the truck and want to keep it. Any suggestions would be appreciated especially any interpretation of EGT's, DPF Press readings and what is normal?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
"65K" is probably 65535 which is basically the highest the computer can count and is meaningless in most cases.

"65535 occurs frequently in the field of computing because it is {\displaystyle 2^{16}-1}
{\displaystyle 2^{16}-1}
(one less than 2 to the 16th power), which is the highest number that can be represented by an unsigned 16-bit binary number. Some computer programming environments may have predefined constant values representing 65535, with names like MAX_UNSIGNED_SHORT."

dudkas

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What you are saying is this means nothing and likely not an indication of a pending issue?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything other than what the 65K you're reading likely means.

If it's triggering a MIL or message, then it possibly has some bearing, like a sensor that isn't working correctly.

dudkas

Reaction score
A bit of an update:
One of the stored codes I have had recently is P244A which didn't make much sense to me as my DPF is present and has never been removed. Reading the description for "Code P244A" at https://www.engine-codes.com/ led me to this YouTube Video. "Cleaning Exhaust Pressure Sensor". There are many videos available how to do this and like most of the video's say, this Sensor does not fail often, but it gets very dirty. This is a very easy job and easy access from the passenger side engine compartment. The sensor was not extremely dirty but a moderate amount of carbon was present. My setup does not have the chamber the sensor screws into. My truck's sensor screws directly into the pipe and is supported at that point. I used compressed air and small common screwdriver. Once the sensor was removed, I blew compressed air into the line to ensure it was not blocked. The picture shows a foil cup over the sensor to protect it from engine heat. I put a small slice in the cup to enable it to be removed.
Over the last 2 days, my reading using the app TORQUE are where I would expect to see them, 15-25 psi at idle and around 150-200 psi at 110 kms/ 65mph. Not sure if these values are what its supposed to be but I no longer have the 65K reading when cold or the message "Exhaust Service Required" message.

Attachments

• InkedExhaust Pressure Sensor_1.jpg
    InkedExhaust Pressure Sensor_1.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread