Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Ram Carrier Bearing Failure ?

rfullen280

Reaction score
Hey - I can't find a forum to post this in for an older Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed - but - gotta ask anyhow. It has a 2-piece driveshaft, and has eaten 4 carrier bearings in hte last 20K miles (has 100k now). Ideas?

rfullen280

Reaction score
Ya, it's my cousin, pretty sure he's spent more on carriers than a driveshaft would cost...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What brand of bearings is he putting in?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Is he realigning the u joints when he reinstalls everything? I will eat through carrier bearings if he has not phazed the shaft properly. Also is he lifted and how much?

rfullen280

Reaction score
Is he realigning the u joints when he reinstalls everything? I will eat through carrier bearings if he has not phazed the shaft properly. Also is he lifted and how much?
Nope, not lifted. Last one was an Auto-Zone, but this time (not installed yet) he's got an OEM bearing. What do you mean "realigning the joints"?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nope, not lifted. Last one was an Auto-Zone, but this time (not installed yet) he's got an OEM bearing. What do you mean "realigning the joints"?
All the u joints should be inline with each other down the whole shaft. when you remove the splined yoke to change the carrier bearing it needs to be reinstalled in the proper orientation

rfullen280

Reaction score
Can the splined yoke even be put in wrong? I thought it was keyed to only go one way?

CTF2019

Reaction score
You have to mark the splines before removal, otherwise it’s all out of balance and possibly out of phase.

On my 2004, I used a Spicer carrier as I couldn’t go one piece with 2wd. Was still holding up great with 30k hard miles when I sold the truck. I had an Allison with locked shifts and I was hard on the skinny pedal. No failures.

Users who are viewing this thread