Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search results

1. H

Recommendations for running power for trailer winch

I want to run power to the rear bumper of my truck for anything more than that 400 watt 120V outlet in the bed. Specifically, 12V power for a trailer mounted winch, or a bumper mounted 12V hoist motor. I've found one company that makes DIY kits for trailer winches...
  2. H

5th wheel hitch slider or no slider?

Yup, hard to beat a killer deal. Hoping he's got a brother/cousin/buddy nearby who just got a long bed. ;)
  3. H

Buy a 5th wheel instead or a bumper pull?

Ok, thanks. So it's not so much side to side as front to back issues with a 5-er. Can see that coming into play as the front of the truck rises up a sudden incline and then when the truck crests over it.
  4. H

5th wheel hitch slider or no slider?

Got the same truck. Exploring options. Looks like you have a Pullrite Superglide. Any reason you chose that over a Demco autoslide? I'm not dissing your choice. Would love to hear from an actual user versus the manufacturer's competing websites and videos.
  5. H

Buy a 5th wheel instead or a bumper pull?

Keeping within the original heart of the thread, 5er vs. TT.... what "twist" angle is too much before a 5-er contacts the bedrail? How much more twist can a travel trailer allow (with or without a WDH)? Yeah, I know height variations on bed clearance make a difference, and true 360* off road...
  6. H

Truck bed crane for cargo (update 3/4/23)

Wow. Just wow. The tounge weight rating looks like it's exceeded with the way that hitch is moving when he lifts the motor. Leverage is a bitch in this case. And where is he going to move that motor to? Can't swing it into the vehicle, and I wouldn't want to be behind him if he's going down the...
  7. H

Drilling in 12ga Steel Bumper

I used that exact Diablo bit on the drill press just a few days ago to drill through some 1/4" plate. They cut great, much better than the standard hole cutters. Be advised, they do not make *exact* holes like you get with a twist bit. There is a a slight tendency for the cutting teeth to wobble...
  8. H

Cold Weather - LED Headlights - Snow/Ice buildup - What do you do?

Plexus... good stuff. Used it for years on the clear plastic windows of our pop-up camper and my jeep's soft-top. Clears the haze while it cleaned and filled small scratches. How did the headlights on your Ram like it? No ill effects? I hadn't thought of using it there. It's just amazing that...
  9. H

Trailer brake disconnected

Just a big THANK YOU to everybody who posted to this thread. I've had those brake gremlin visits in the past, which lead to completely rewiring a trailer's brake and light system out of frustration. Didn't know about the new vs old style trailer plug requirement for Ram trucks. You gave me some...
  10. H

Hi Dan, and Thanks! Although a swivel could be pretty easy to make ( couple plates, thick bolt for pivot, piece of UHMW plastic to reduce friction) the limiting factor would be clearance with the receiver safety chain loops when in this lower setting, and the rear bumper when the "stinger" is...
  11. H

Link to crane in question: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-bed-crane-with-hand-winch-61522.html Objective: a cheap base for a crane, that was hitch mounted, modular, can be set up to travel with the truck while assembled without losing ground clearance, could be...
  12. H

Update --- Lets see if this works. First time trying to post a picture. These are various metal parts cut to size for my take on a hitch-mounted crane for my truck. I didn't want to drill through the metal of the bed, and there is a LOT of stuff going on near the suspension, too much for me to...
  13. H

50+ gallon aftermarket fuel tanks... ground clearance?

Called S&B just for info, they don't offer a fuel tank skid, nor do they know of another company making one to fit their tank. Titan's web site claims their tank is tough as heck, with a life time warranty (even if in a car wreck, per company video). Good to know. Yeah, an aux tank is an option...
  14. H

50+ gallon aftermarket fuel tanks... ground clearance?

Didn't want to hijack another member's thread with an unrelated subject. Searched, but nothing came up. Serious Dumb Question for all of you with these larger aftermarket tanks.... do you worry about less ground clearance? Even S&B's site says it is 2.4 inches lower than the stock 32 gallon...
  15. H

Roof/Cab kayak rack input

Ve3ffr --- Nice! I like the round peg in a square hole. Simple swivel for a light load. How did you mount the grill protector to the truck? Hard to see, but it looks like you captured the tow hooks. (and then something else?)
  16. H

Roof/Cab kayak rack input

Just another option to consider : *if* you had a front receiver, a Thule Goalpost hitch with the attachment for canoes/kayaks would ensure the kayaks gave you plenty of room the clear the Fiver with your short bed...
  17. H

Another NorCal Member

Mendocino county. It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here ;)
  18. H

Retirement

Congratz and Thank You for your service! Just a word of advice... make sure your medical is all squared away. I was shocked to learn how much it would cost to have that new smile surgically removed from my face after I retired. Decided to live with it. ;)
  19. H

"reinforcing plate" ... yeah, that could work, though I'd probably want to make it larger than the footprint of the lift so there wasn't a pinch point on the sandwiched bed metal. I'll take a look under the bed this weekend and get a better idea of the space available. Thanks!
  20. H

Cold Weather - LED Headlights - Snow/Ice buildup - What do you do?

For what it's worth, I've used rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle to quickly melt ice on the windshield and headlights of my vehicles for years. Works in seconds. Keep the bottle in the vehicle so it's always handy in the winter. Just wipe off the melted water before the alcohol evaporates...