Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search results

1. W

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Good point. All this started when the original battery died, swapped in a new one, seemed to work, started having issues again, tried a third some time later...maybe I've just got stale 2032 batteries.
  2. W

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Another update: My old mechanical relay came in, but since my truck passed the temp test (with an AB SSR) I've been waiting to install it. I've got a Banks CAI on the way, will likely install both together since I'll be in that part of the engine bay. As for dealership experiences, that's my...
  3. W

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!

To follow up, my truck had the temperature test performed by the dealer on Friday, and the AB relay passed. The mechanical relay I ordered also arrived, may look into installing that this week, if I have time.
  4. W

RECALL: Stellantis Recalls 131,177 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups & Chassis Cabs For Fire Risk!

FWIW, I've had the cable for my heater relay disconnected for a couple weeks now, and haven't had a CEL or any other issues. One night it got down to 30, but I do use my block heater so that may be offsetting the intake heater not working. I just use remote start to fire it up in the mornings so...
  5. W

Considering the risk of ignition-off fires, clearly it wasn't. Where I work folks would get fired over something like that. You mean you have a working part, where the biggest risk is a safe failure? And you're replacing it with a part that, however small the risk of failure, fails hot? I know...
  6. W

More to the point, if the "repair" FCA is providing is another SSR, is it really a repair?
  7. W

Greetings!

Interesting, I thought the 2019+ HD trucks were part of that generation change.
  8. W

Probably. Sadly my OBD scantool doesn't have an option to trigger the cold start heater on this truck.
  9. W

Worth noting, at least in my industry, SSR are selected when you need a long lifetime/high total number of mean switches between failures. Someone at FCA never did a real risk analysis on this one. Fire, even if rare, isn't a valid choice over maybe having to replace a dead relay.
  10. W

Good data if you're trying to spec out an aftermarket relay though.
  11. W

Greetings!

Joined because of the solid state relay recall with the 5th gen trucks. I'm a car nut, been doing all my own work for quite a while now. I've kept the '05 silverado running since I bought it used in 2011, added the Camaro (also bought used) in 2015. Bought the wife a new F8 green 392 Daytona...
  12. W

None of that sounds like it'll be an issue, as all those trucks have mechanical relays. My concern is specifically that the 2020-2022 trucks have PWM or some crazy cycle not found on the 2019's specifically.
  13. W

I'm wondering, based on the presence of an EGR system upstream of the heater, and the 600 hr note with the 2022 trucks, if there's a cleaning cycle to try and burn off the carbon deposits on the intake heater... Pure conjecture, but that's the only potential issue I see. I want the Banks intake...
  14. W

I'm somewhat concerned about how the heater may cycle on/off after the engine starts, and the duration of those cycles. Relays have duty cycles, if FCA did anything as dumb as PWM to try and control temps that relay isn't going to last long. Can anyone confirm if the relay-based 2019 trucks...
  15. W

I wonder if the hold is someone wising up and realizing they need to retrofit the old mechanical relays as the fix, instead of taking another shot in the dark on fixing the SSRs. Combra, I'm guessing you're SOL if the truck is on the lot, they're not going to retrofit the relay unless FCA tells...
  16. W

Online Mopar parts dealer, whose location lined up with a semi-local dealership. I'm going to be in touch with my dealership about getting this sorted, I'd have ordered the parts through them but I don't want them knowing my backup plan, yet.
  17. W

Ordered the 2019 relay. Relay - 68393978AB Nuts (x2) - 6035723 Cable - 68360691AD (This looks to be the right one, will update if it's not.) After 15 years of doing all my own work, this was supposed to be the truck I was going to let the dealer take care of...course if FCA wants to stick with...
  18. W

After hearing the heater continues to cycle on and off once the engine is running and air temps are below a certain point, my guess is the newer trucks were killing the relay faster. (Provided that isn't also the case on the old trucks, but cycling on and off during warmup sound emissions-y to...
  19. W

Why not return to the tried-and-true mechanical relay, since it's going to be hard for customers to trust the current solid state relay? I get that the mechanical relay may have a shorter lifespan, but I'll gladly take that over the truck burning down. (And possibly taking the house, another...
  20. W

I wonder if that's what the 600 hr thing is about. Wonder if it does some sort of cleaning cycle by then where the heater is on long enough to burn off any carbon deposits. (and the rest of your engine bay, if the relay fails then.) I just joined over this issue, seems a clear case of adopting...