Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search results

1. B

Has anyone leveled a 3500 with the auto level rear air suspension?

I trimmed the pinch welds and heated and bent the fender liner back to prevent rubbing. I'm using +18mm offset, 9" wide wheels with 37x12.50s. I think with your width and offset it's likely to rub the back of the fender wells with 37s when you turn.
  2. B

Ride quality comparison stock vs 37’s.

Seems reasonable. I don't have any complaints with the Aisin, but it's not my daily driver either. If you go with a 2500 make sure it's got enough payload for your uses. It's shocking low for a HD truck (2k lbs is typical for a ram 2500 diesel 4x4).
  3. B

You are right on. Stock(ish) tires are probably best for you. Imo either keep it stick or do it right (bigger tires + re-gear). I went for a 3500 SRW HO to avoid the 68 transmission. The Aisin in the HO is super burly. Here in the mountains it's rare that I see a 68 truck with over 100k...
  4. B

Tire Suggestions for 3500 SRW 4x4 for 60% Daily Driver/20% Highway Towing/20% Forest Roads? And 18” vs 20”?

I have a similar use case on my 3500 SRW and went with 37x12.50r17 Falken RT01s. They seem like really durable tires that will survive our rocky Colorado conditions, and still do fine on the road with minimal noise. Aired down to around 20psi on dirt and they ride amazingly well. Personally I...
  5. B

I went from stock 275/75r18 size tires (Toyo at3) to 37x12.50r17. Assuming both are inflated appropriately for the load the 37s are significantly smoother on the road, and drastically smoother off road when aired down. The additional sidewall plus the improved roll over really makes a...
  6. B

Need more towing capacity

The Fords are good trucks imo, and if I were after a gasser I'd go for one over the Ram personally. In Diesel I prefer the Ram. In Ram land the 2500s have coil spring rear suspension that can feel a little less stable than leaf springs. It also has relatively low payload. If you want leaf...
  7. B

2500 v 3500 I6 Turbo

Pay close attention to payload rating and make sure it covers your needs with a 2500 diesel. Many are around 2k lbs and it's easy to blow past that even with a small trailer once you also add people, tools, recovery gear, etc. Imo the big advantage of the 3500 is that you can get the HO and...
  8. B

Adding Air compressor option

The best option for big air power is a pto or engine driven approach. Both can be complicated and expensive. I wanted to be able to air up my 37" tires quickly and mounted an ARB twin compressor under the hood between the battery and firewall. I didn't mount an air tank. It'll fill all four...
  9. B

Which battery tender to use

Fwiw I am running my skid steer and Ram block heaters off one outlet (via a dual plug kasa smart switch). No problems at all. I'm adding a 10am noco to the skid steer side and will report back if that causes any issues, but I doubt it will. 10amps at 12v is probably only 1.1amps at the outlet.
  10. B

2500 vs. 3500 (both with factory auto level rear air suspension) towing stability with 1,000 lb TW and 8,000 lb travel trailer

The 3500 will be more stable without a doubt. The 2500 will ride a little better empty, but with the air assist the 3500 rides pretty darn well. A Megacab diesel is a heavy truck. In 2500 form you will be extremely payload limited. Depending on options etc. I've seen as low as 1600lbs, but...
  11. B

Lube Points

There may be a lube point (needle type) on the front drive shaft, but as far as I know that's the only one.
  12. B

Trade in 4.5 gen for 3rd gen ... am I nuts?

Another option could be a 4th gen. Bank some cash but retain 90% of the comforts of the 4.5 gen and simplify a little.
  13. B

Carli front dif guard install

I didn't get any drops when I installed mine, and it tightened right down with no weirdness. It's been about 2k miles since install and all good so far. Ditto for the rough stuff rear cover.
  14. B

3500 continuous, rhythmic bounce on concrete highway

I drove from Denver to Co Springs and back yesterday, empty on the way down, two trials bikes in the bed on the way back. Smooth both ways. Maybe the Megacab wheelbase is just different enough that it's not impacted? Thuren suspension and 37s don't hurt either.
  15. B

Suspension upgrade

Imo you could squeak by with a SRW 3500, but really are in DRW territory. Just as a reference I occasionally haul 350 gallons of water, plus tools, containers, recovery gear and five people in my diesel 3500 SRW Megacab with factory air assist. I'm guessing that's a 4100lbs load or so. It is...
  16. B

Need new truck tires to tow heavy Fifth Wheel

An 18" or 17" wheel will ride better anyway, upgrade to that size and enjoy more capacity and the improvement in ride. OEM Ram, AEV and Method have them in appropriate weight ratings.
  17. B

Just to confirm, it's I25 between Centennial and Castle Rock that causes the issues? I've driven that section probably a dozen times in my 3500 SRW and haven't noticed any issues or bouncing at all. Mine is a Megacab, so maybe a wheelbase difference if you have something else, but 37s and...
  18. B

If it's really bothering you put full Thuren suspension on along when airbags and cradles in the back for towing. It'll ride amazingly well, as well or better than most half tons, and still tow just fine.
  19. B

For what it's worth my truck rides pretty smooth on I25. I've run from Ft. Collins to Walsenburg without any issues. Mine is a diesel SRW Megacab 3500. I have Thuren springs up front and factory Air assist in the back. I'm also on 37x12.50r17 ties and they soak up a lot. On other sections...
  20. B

Bigger tires more hwy mpg?

These engines are actually pretty efficient even at higher rpms. If you look at all the 4.10 vs 3.73 posts on mpg there's not much difference. Imo just let it rev. There's not enough milage improvement to be had by messing around with effective gearing to matter. Gearing does make a huge...