Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service 4wd system message on dash

WRCLVR

Reaction score
2017 Ram 3500 HO dually 8 ft bed, Aisin AS69RC transmission. 4WD. No mods other than Bilstein shocks front/ rear. Does have a ARE high topper on it. 19K on the truck ..yes 19K

Driving in 2wd to Tennessee, towing a small Stinger folding trailer ( 550#) and a Can Am spyder on it ( 1100 # ) 65 mph. LOL no you cant feel that behind the truck..lol Neways.. then the message popped up....

"Service 4wd system" in orange and there was a beep along with it. Then it disappeared. Has stayed away for 5 days...Today I hooked my Autel scanner up to it looking for codes or issues....NADA.

Is this a timed message to have service done? Anyone else seen this? Any clue as to what triggers it and why teh code did not stay as a stored code?

flan

Reaction score
There’s no timed message for maintenance. I assume you have the electronic shifter in your Laramie trim level? I get a “4wd shift in progress” occasionally on my mechanical floor shifter, a quick shift in then back out of 4wd solves that problem for a while. Maybe try shifting yours and see if the message persists?

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The message went away after 2-3 minutes while at 65 mph. No codes at all.
Yes I do have the electronic shifter on the dash 2wd, 4wdlock and 4wd low plus a neutral button. So you are saying just try shifting it to 4wdlock to make the shifter operate? It has been a few years since I used 4wd. Last itme I was at the local landfill...I guess I can try doing that if the message comes up. Dang it, I will have to open the old manual to see if that can be done on the fly and at what speed. LOL

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Likely the system detected a fault then cleared its self when no fault was detected again, that can be a loose connection or broken wire, i would check the connectors and the wiring for the diff actuator and t case motor just in case but i would not expect to find an issue, unfortunately with these modern electronics it happens where you get a random fault when nothing is wrong. No different than having problems with a PC then after a restart the problem is gone.

If the wiring and connectors look good just put some dielectric grease in the connector and forget about it

WRCLVR

Reaction score
@H3LZN1P3R I appreciate ya !! I'll have my mechanic check those out, clean the connectors with electronics cleaner then add the dielectric grease and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread