Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential covers

Chris1911

Reaction score
What are my choices for a differential cover with a drain plug? Seems like every site i search on gives me different sizes and for different vehicles. Some say universal. What size do i need? This is for a 2019 with 6.4.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
PML is a Very nice cover. There is a couple of finishes to choose from. Reasonably priced. 11.5" axle rear 9.25 front. Check out their Website. You can message them for Verification.
  • AAM 11.5 14 Bolt For Ram 2500 2014 to 2018​

Part Number 11147

• AAM Front 9.25 12 Bolt For Ram
    Part Number 11136

AAM 12.0 For Ram
Part Number 11176

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
While there are different size rear ring gears for 19+ trucks they all use the same diff cover. Make sure it’s for 11.5/12.0” diffs, and not for 11.5/11.8” ones.

PML would get my vote for a cost effective cover with a drain.

Personally I like to look at the gears when I service them, so pulling the cover isn’t a big deal.

jetrinka

Reaction score
While there are different size rear ring gears for 19+ trucks they all use the same diff cover. Make sure it’s for 11.5/12.0” diffs, and not for 11.5/11.8” ones.

Personally I like to look at the gears when I service them, so pulling the cover isn’t a big deal.
I agree. Pulling the cover also let’s you clean the inside of the diff out.

Chris1911

Reaction score

I suppose it is a good idea to actually see what's going on while doing it. And it's not like it's done often.

jadmt

Reaction score
I keep thinking about going and changing my diff fluid as I have close to 30,000 miles on it and I have a case of diff fluid but I can't bring myself to stinking up my garage this time of year.....

Mulely

Reaction score
I've had both the PML and the AEV covers. The PML ain't a bad cover. Has some beefiness to it. That being said, the AEV is cast iron and heaven forbid you catch a rock or a stump with a cover, you can feel pretty good about it not breaking.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
After seeing the Banks Series on these covers. I think factory or the Banks is really the only way to go..

jadmt

Reaction score
After seeing the Banks Series on these covers. I think factory or the Banks is really the only way to go..
the AEV follows the exact internal contour of the factory cover. the inside of the AEV is identical to the inside of the factory.

CFE

Reaction score
Quick/dumb question - is everyone only swapping out the rear diff cover or doing both front and rear??

Gus

Reaction score
I have changed the rear for a banks. I want to change the front for an AEV but need some spare cash. For now OEM on the front banks in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CFE
Reaction score
I'm looking for a stock diff cover for a 21 dually, anyone have one laying around, looking to buy it

MrSteve

Reaction score
Besides ease of fluid changes and looks is there a lower lube temp benefit to changing the covers?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides ease of fluid changes and looks is there a lower lube temp benefit to changing the covers?

You will likely see a lower temp, but whether or not that's a benefit depends on how you use the truck.

Years ago I spoke with an AAM engineer who stated we didn't even need to run 75w-140 unless we were running at or above GCWR thru Death Valley. That was back when the HO had 610 lb/ft and a much lower GCWR. Regardless, the axle is designed to be used as equipped up thru GCWR (which does include 75w-140 on the DRW HO's now).

I've ran a diff cover with extra cooling and extra lube capacity and the biggest thing I noticed from it was decreased fuel economy when the fluid was cold, and the fluid took a LOT of miles to warm up.

So it really does depend on use. If your loaded up to GCWR all the time, live somewhere hotter than average, and run hard then you may benefit from a potential decrease in lube temps. If you don't, then you need to analyze how you use your truck, as it's the most efficient when everything is at operating temp.

These days I just run a high quality gear lube and call it good.

Users who are viewing this thread