Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack base for Ram 3500 Prospector

hdas

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm wondering if people with lifted trucks have some recommendations for a jack base to make my stock jack suitable for my lifted RAM (12.5cm x 10cm). Online search is yielding little. Thanks a lot.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-13 at 12.59.25_d9eea8c2.jpg

deanfx

Reaction score
I agree with @H3LZSN1P3R 4x4 or better 6x6 is used for emergency cribbing as long as it's maintained.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I only have a 3" lift and 37s, so the stock jack works just fine for me, but as others have already mentioned, a nice solid block of wood is your best bet to safely give yourself some more height.

The high-lift type plastic bases and even those AEV sells for the Jeeps/GM trucks won't have a secure hold on your stock jack and in my opinion would be far more risky than the wood.

hdas

Reaction score
I only have a 3" lift and 37s, so the stock jack works just fine for me, but as others have already mentioned, a nice solid block of wood is your best bet to safely give yourself some more height.

The high-lift type plastic bases and even those AEV sells for the Jeeps/GM trucks won't have a secure hold on your stock jack and in my opinion would be far more risky than the wood.
Ok. Thanks.

I’m thinking that if I do the wood block, I need to custom make the “hole” or indentation to accomodate the jack, mimicking the AEV style bases, I’m I correct?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks.

I’m thinking that if I do the wood block, I need to custom make the “hole” or indentation to accomodate the jack, mimicking the AEV style bases, I’m I correct?
Nope just sit it flat on the wood its not going anywhere if the block is on flat ground

hdas

Reaction score
Nope just sit it flat on the wood its not going anywhere if the block is on flat ground
Well…That’s the thing. When you are overlanding, flat ground could be hard to find…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well…That’s the thing. When you are overlanding, flat ground could be hard to find…

Really…. No matter what jack pad or jack you are using the jack should be on the flatest ground you can work with to avoid the jack from kicking out thats just common sense… i have been doing trail fixes while overlanding and rock crawling for years with jeeps and trucks you always find a way to get a somewhat flat spot to use a jack weather you have to crib it up with sticks and rocks or winch yourself to a bit better spot its part if the game and no overpriced jack base will change that

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For my smoker I used to use all kinds of different wood but now I only use cherry and post oak. Oak with brisket...OMG. :eek:
These days i just use a competition blend i don't really care for swapping out the pellets lol

deanfx

Reaction score
These days i just use a competition blend i don't really care for swapping out the pellets lol
I havent moved to pellets yet. Still dragging them boxes of little logs out of Academy Sports. I wanna get a pellet smoker one day though.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Make sure the grain structure of whatever block you are using is generally horizontal. If the grain structure is vertical, i.e. in line with the jack shaft, it can crack and split under stress.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I havent moved to pellets yet. Still dragging them boxes of little logs out of Academy Sports. I wanna get a pellet smoker one day though.
I have an offset smoker for the odd thing but its to time consuming pellet is just so convenient

Users who are viewing this thread