Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel filters backordered

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Less filter media (volume or effective) = less capacity= shorter life.

I'll stick with Fleetguard. Don't trust docs and have seen enough other info that gives me pause to try them.

56ram2500

Reaction score
Noticed that the usual online sites that offer the genuine mopar fuel filters (geno's and others) are backordered until the end of April. Anyone know of other reputable sites/businesses/Ram dealers? The cheapest I've found them at a "local" dealer is +$250 for the pair.
For the front filter I use the Fleetguard FS53000 2 filters for $105 free shipping from Crossfilters: https://crossfilters.com/products/fs53000-fleetguard-fuel-water-separator?variant=7249152245807 as for the rear filter check both Rock Auto and Genos to see who has the lowest price with shipping, I bought my rear filter from Rock Auto at the time they the best price with shipping last fall...

kirk-35

Reaction score
Noticed that the usual online sites that offer the genuine mopar fuel filters (geno's and others) are backordered until the end of April. Anyone know of other reputable sites/businesses/Ram dealers? The cheapest I've found them at a "local" dealer is +$250 for the pair.
My local O'Reilly Auto has the Mopar filters in stock. $192.98 for the pair.
Edit: I just noticed they have 20% off on ship to home orders. That knocks it down to $154.38 for both filters.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Baldwin filter for the rear under bed filter? Baldwin is owned by Parker who owns the patent for the filter. The patent number is marked on the Mopar filter and the same on the Baldwin. Parker used to make the under bed filters for the 13-18 models.
I use the FS53000 for the front filter.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
I recall a lengthy discussion on Baldwin filters somewhere on here. I don’t know if the conversation was specifically for the front or just for Baldwin in general but there didn’t seem to be any downsides seeing as they seem to be the same.

56ram2500

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Baldwin filter for the rear under bed filter? Baldwin is owned by Parker who owns the patent for the filter. The patent number is marked on the Mopar filter and the same on the Baldwin. Parker used to make the under bed filters for the 13-18 models.
I use the FS53000 for the front filter.
Based on what I've over heard while in the waiting area in the service dept. at the dealership, if you have factory warranty I would suggest to only use Fleetguard/Mopar fuel filters, because if something goes wrong in the fuel system and you are using after an market fuel filter(s) you best have deep pockets to cover the repair bill...

Thisnthat

Reaction score
My local O'Reilly Auto has the Mopar filters in stock. $192.98 for the pair.
Edit: I just noticed they have 20% off on ship to home orders. That knocks it down to $154.38 for both filters.

This is where I ended up getting them...appreciate the lead...

pr3dict

Reaction score
Interesting story today. Has anyone been charged a lot more money for a quoted scheduled maintenance service?

With all these backorders, I called my local dealership the other day to find out how much it would cost for my fuel filter replacements. They have my VIN because I have done service there before and they told me it would be $303. I was like, done deal! I scheduled it and came in today to have service done. Signed the $303 estimate and did the filter change and a recall... When I went to pay the invoice it was $474. I was like ummmmmmmmmmmm what happened here? And the guy tries to tell me the original quote was just an "estimate". Anyway long story short they went down to $430 and I figured it was still an OK price so I didnt argue further.

Still, never have I ever seen something like that happen before on a preventative/scheduled maintenance service. Repairs, sure...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting story today. Has anyone been charged a lot more money for a quoted scheduled maintenance service?

With all these backorders, I called my local dealership the other day to find out how much it would cost for my fuel filter replacements. They have my VIN because I have done service there before and they told me it would be $303. I was like, done deal! I scheduled it and came in today to have service done. Signed the $303 estimate and did the filter change and a recall... When I went to pay the invoice it was $474. I was like ummmmmmmmmmmm what happened here? And the guy tries to tell me the original quote was just an "estimate". Anyway long story short they went down to $430 and I figured it was still an OK price so I didnt argue further.

Still, never have I ever seen something like that happen before on a preventative/scheduled maintenance service. Repairs, sure...

What was the upcharge for?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I don’t have anything done that Im capable of doing myself. I understand some folks don’t have the tools or a place to do things like that but I have less money than I do time.

pr3dict

Reaction score
I don’t have anything done that Im capable of doing myself. I understand some folks don’t have the tools or a place to do things like that but I have less money than I do time.
Usually my rule of thumb is I will pay for something when the hourly wage is less then what I make in the same amount of time it would take me.

With all the mark up on filters the estimate was only $100 for the hour. Prob would have taken me longer than that so was work it for me.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Usually my rule of thumb is I will pay for something when the hourly wage is less then what I make in the same amount of time it would take me.

With all the mark up on filters the estimate was only $100 for the hour. Prob would have taken me longer than that so was work it for me.
I understand. I’m retired so my time is worth nothing. Just ask my kids.

Users who are viewing this thread