Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins or hemi hd

Engine51748

Reaction score
Hey guys longtime viewer first time poster. Question for the group. I run a bathroom trailer rental company. Currently 5 trailers going out so will be towing often in season. Trailer weights range from 4k to 7k when empty to 5k to 11k when full. Currently use a 1500 with timberons added. In the market for a new hd truck. Since I don’t know much about diesels was leaning on the 6.4. The dealers currently have specials by me with the 3500 Cummings selling for less then the 6.4 2500’s. Any input on the better truck for my needs. Are the Cummings having any problems hence the big discount etc. appreciate any insight as I will keep this truck for 12-15 yrs as I do all my trucks.

Engine51748

Reaction score
Also wanna add I have no issues with my 1500 except on the 2 larger trailers when going up grades. I obviously know the Cummings will pull better but also don’t want to overkill my needs.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
have you done any cost analysis based on you're situation? how far away from base do you tow? if the service radius is more than local i'd go cummins ( there's no G ). if local I would get by with a gasser but more likely a 7.3 gas ford. a diesel is a more expensive depreciating asset in any case.

Thewookie

Reaction score
I agree with elephantrider with a couple of caveats. 1. I thought about the ford7.3 a lot but the delaminating lifters/camshaft issues scared me away. 2. Study the issues with diesel emission coErrol systems and determine whether your driving distances and highway use is compatible to get the exhaust really heated up to avoid dpf issues down the road. Sounds like with those weights it shouldn’t be an issue but just in case. 3. Look for a slightly used diesel that’s already had some initial depreciation beat out of it.

Engine51748

Reaction score
have you done any cost analysis based on you're situation? how far away from base do you tow? if the service radius is more than local i'd go cummins ( there's no G ). if local I would get by with a gasser but more likely a 7.3 gas ford. a diesel is a more expensive depreciating asset in any case.
Usually location is within 60 miles. I’d much rather a gas engine just because I know gas engines much better. But both the ram/Chevy/ and ford are priced about 6-10k more then the Cummings by me right now so was just wondering if it’s be crazy not to get diesel.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to train your autocorrect or at least make an effort. Otherwise, you're just trolling.

images

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Usually location is within 60 miles. I’d much rather a gas engine just because I know gas engines much better. But both the ram/Chevy/ and ford are priced about 6-10k more then the Cummings by me right now so was just wondering if it’s be crazy not to get diesel.
A diesel is not required for your use but it would not hurt to have it, if the CUMMINS is 2-3k less then i would get the Hemi for your use as that 2-3k would be negligible after a few years of servicing, if its a bigger price difference i would get the Cummins as you have a more valuable truck that would allow you to further advance your business as time goes on. Personally I'm a diesel guy but there is nothing wrong with the hemi

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I'm with @H3LZSN1P3R
I also would never get a ford 7.3, if chosing between this and Cummins, I'd go with a later even if it's more expensive to purchase.

Engine51748

Reaction score
Sorry guys, typing fast and autocorrect keeps correcting CUMMINS. Thanks for the input. Gonna test drive the new Chevy 6.6 gasser with the new 10 speed. Already test drive the 6.4 and it drove as expected.

Enve46

Reaction score
I loved my PW with the 6.4 but it was thirsty in my area and my driving route. Then it developed a knock that was most likely lifters and dealer said it was normal. I traded it in on a diesel AEV.

Everyone is different and if you prefer gas trucks then stick with your gut. I’m glad I got my PW and as mentioned the 6.4 was fun to drive and provided all the power I needed. It seems everyone is plagued with some issues, pick whatever truck you like the most and get the best deal on. The amount of lifter/valve train failures going on across the brands, there’s no right answer. I will tell you if I was pulling anything I’d go diesel. Just a preference. Costs go second in these decisions for me. I’ve always been the type to have more vehicle than I need.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Sorry guys, typing fast and autocorrect keeps correcting CUMMINS. Thanks for the input. Gonna test drive the new Chevy 6.6 gasser with the new 10 speed. Already test drive the 6.4 and it drove as expected.
I had a 2021 Silverado 3500 with the 6.6 gas engine. mine had the 6 speed though. I really liked it and it was a nice towing experience. Only thing that I didn’t like was the 5-6mpg towing in the winter, and 7-9mpg towing in the summer.

Brad460

Reaction score
If your business and customers depend on you via your truck, the Hemi is probably your safe bet..Most companies have moved to gas for the reliability (versus newer diesels). All too often diesels go into limp mode at the worst time (when your customer needs you). It’s not uncommon to see a diesel driving 5 mph down the safety lane. It’s a shame what the EPA has done…

If your lively hood depends on your truck and your not pulling big weights thru the mountains- Hemi

7-10 years ago the answer would always be diesel..

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
If your in a smog state, probably go gas. No smog state, go diesel and eventually delete it if it becomes a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread