Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What WDH would y'all use

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Before the weight police show up - Kindly F-Off I'm staying well within my GAWR and GCWR and this is Texas. The crime around here has become untenable and I've got a Jayco 312BHOK locked down that I'm gonna move out to our property while I get our in-town house sold. What WDH would y'all snag to transport it a few hours down flat/straight HWY before it gets parked for a while.

I've seen that the weigh-safe has had some issues in the heavy class and while I can get a propride from a buddy he's not at home to pack it up and ship it to me in short order. Long term I'll pick up the propride, but for moving it "home" next week what would y'all pick up off amazon, etrailer, etc to bring that big girl home.

*Edit*. The propride in question is the 14K/2.5". It was used to a pull a big GD TH before they traded up to a bigger 5th wheel toy hauler.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If it’s just a one time tow I’d find something on craigslist with chains that’s rated for the weight. Id also consider going without a WDH, for a shorter one time tow. It won’t be as comfortable, but if it’s just a one time thing. If you’re good buying a longer term hitch I’d look at the Equal-I-Zer. It’s stout, doesn’t use chains, doesn’t derate when the arms aren’t hooked up, and has served me well on multiple trailers.

Sway control is a gimmick, so don’t go out of your way to find it. Just make sure you have proper tongue weight and call it good.

I’d personally never spend a penny on a Propride or Hensley, they market to the uneducated on trailer sway. Fix/prevent/eliminate sway the correct way by properly loading the trailer.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Sensible, appreciate it sir. Honestly I never use a WDH towing the tractor or anything else around the farm when it's simple enough to load em right, just always been so used to tightening those chains with a TT.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Longer trailers do certainly benefit from a WDH as it improves the ride/handling and driver experience, even on these HD trucks. It’s not necessary, unlike lighter duty rigs, but doesn’t hurt.

We’ve got a WDH for our 16’ stock trailer, but it only gets used on rough back roads. For highway travel I don’t bother.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Longer trailers do certainly benefit from a WDH as it improves the ride/handling and driver experience, even on these HD trucks. It’s not necessary, unlike lighter duty rigs, but doesn’t hurt.

We’ve got a WDH for our 16’ stock trailer, but it only gets used on rough back roads. For highway travel I don’t bother.
Oh yea as an engineer I understand the physics, but also yea a lot of these sway fear mongers don't understand towing. I'll see what I can get cheap that's rated for the tongue and tow it without stressing, but it never hurts to seek the advice of other intelligent folks. Later on we might start tripping it after we build a new house, but that's at-least a year from now.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No WDH just hook up and go This one pictured is a jayco bunglow series it was 1625 tongue weight 10,500 empty weight, i went 3-1/2 hrs with it at an average speed of 70MPH no issues at all your towing your trailer once dont waste your money on a fancy hitch you may never use again IMG_7293.jpeg

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
If you hook up and the truck isn’t squatting bad I’d give it a go without a WDH. There are some things to keep in mind as mentioned above. If it’s a one time trip……..

Just make sure the hitch you use is rated for the tongue weight!

Drew M

Reaction score
If you're within weight limits, and only looking for WD (or to comply w/ TX laws) I second AD64ID. I have used an Equalizer to tow my Airstream on 3 different Ram's. My current one is a 2500, (the others were 1500's), and have no problems towing. I know I can tow w/o a WDH, but I still use it in part for the sway control and in part out of habit.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I shook the giftcard tree and ended up with a BXW2003 (Under-slung Coupler + 2.5" Shank) and some 1500lb spring bars to tone it down closer to the hitch weight, ~1350 as she sat on the lot. To note I wouldn't have gotten the gift cards otherwise so I didn't spend any of my money on it. I'll stash it in the barn if it pulls nice and if not I can flip it for a few bucks. It was an availibility thing that drove that as we'll be picking her up Friday. I ended up getting the deal out in West Texas so it'll be a bit of hike and bits of not so flat highway. Just a touch over 230 miles so not the longest journey, but a bit different than ~30 miles as originally planed - Just saved SO MUCH on it and this is a one time pull this year.

I don't anticipate it squatting too bad with the Carli R2 springs + Black Sumos based on how it performs with several hundred pounds on the Diamondback. As I had mentioned in one of my other threads, it was a compromise suspension build - Its a big ride improvement and more capable offroad, but it can still get work done.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I shook the giftcard tree and ended up with a BXW2003 (Under-slung Coupler + 2.5" Shank) and some 1500lb spring bars to tone it down closer to the hitch weight, ~1350 as she sat on the lot. To note I wouldn't have gotten the gift cards otherwise so I didn't spend any of my money on it. I'll stash it in the barn if it pulls nice and if not I can flip it for a few bucks. It was an availibility thing that drove that as we'll be picking her up Friday. I ended up getting the deal out in West Texas so it'll be a bit of hike and bits of not so flat highway. Just a touch over 230 miles so not the longest journey, but a bit different than ~30 miles as originally planed - Just saved SO MUCH on it and this is a one time pull this year.

I don't anticipate it squatting too bad with the Carli R2 springs + Black Sumos based on how it performs with several hundred pounds on the Diamondback. As I had mentioned in one of my other threads, it was a compromise suspension build - Its a big ride improvement and more capable offroad, but it can still get work done.

Never ran a blue ox, but I’ve heard lots of great things.

Let us know how it tows.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
The rig itself also has this, so it should be interesting ... yay for more technology trying to drive for me. I'll let y'all know how I feel about it since there are some windy stretches of I-10 I'll be pulling through.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I do not like the Blue Ox, the way you unload those weightbars is just sketchy - My arm's got a massive bruise from that bar slippin. I even had negative tonque weight to take as much spring out as possible and even then they snap'ed back HARD without being anywhere near as tight as they could've been. I've read some negative reviews of similar things and thought I was taking all the right precautions and tips, but yea I think I'm gonna flip it unless we can come up with a way to unload it better. I'd wager if it wasn't such a heavy rig with those thick springs bars, it wouldn't be so sketchy to unload. Around the property I can easily move it with my normal drop hitch and I'll either wait for weighsafe to fix their WDH (Not gonna lie I love their standard drop hitches) or if my buddy wants to give me his propride real cheap I'll play with that and see how I feel about it. Can't hurt to see for myself.

It towed ok once setup with the big Jayco, but the Dexter driver assist on the trailer was also putting in work. It can have a bit of a delayed effect at times, but man I won't lie very nice feature to have on a HUGE bumper pull sail. It's most noticable when something upsets the trailer while coasting on slight negative grades or with a mostly tailwind that gets a huge cross gust. - The sorts of situations where I would normally be lightly squeezing the paddles to pull the trailer back into line after a really bad gust - The thing did it for me and with way more finesse. The winds were in high teens, low 20s with gusts into the 30 and 40s at times - I took it pretty slow until we got out of the wind then 55-60 was comfortable. Honestly most impressed with the Dexter setup I'm sold on it for anything of this size. This is also the 1st trailer of this size I've evered pulled with ABS... Man oh man I'm sold and ruined - Next one needs ABS and discs...

I also discovered that I need to make some minor changes to the truck if I wanna be comfortable towing this beast (Driver comfort). We passed a ton of really nice parks not very far from the property on our way out to get it since we had time to kill - Maybe between 20-40 miles away - So I would like to be more comfortable (Driver comfort) for some weekend getaways. I need to either need to add spacers to my rear sumos (gross), switch to the new Thuren LCS (Most likely option, I don't tow super freiquently), or do bags and cradles (Meh maybe, but more likely on the other truck that tows alot more often). While it was well controlled, the sumo's needed to engage sooner with the Carli R2 Springs + Thuren 2.75" Front Springs for optimal support. A 1" spacer would do the trick, but then I'd be hitting the sumos all the time which I hate on gravel unloaded - It just bucks you around too much. I know we've been talking about putting bags on the other truck that does alot more towing, but for me I'm empty 85% of the time so I think the LCS is going to be just the ticket.

All in all only a midly stressful success and hopefully its just a bad bruise on my arm and nothing worse. Considering the conditions I was towing in through some of those passes where class 8's where parked at the rest stops - I came out alright. Took it slow, let the technology help me, and pre-planned my route down to the fuel stops.

ammdrew

Reaction score
Best bumper tow experience is the Pro pride. You will enjoy that

ammdrew

Reaction score
For us we have been using a couple different proprides over the years as we have sold and then later purchased trailers from a 36 ft toy hauler to our current 29 ft. The Propride is very easy to adjust the weight transfer as you just tighten or loosen jacks that are mounted on the trailer. So you do not need to hook up then lift with the tongue jack to get the spring bars on , or use big levers and pull them up and into place. So that is just easy and you can adjust for load changes very easy,

Both the Pro Pride and the Hensley hitch operate like a train coupler and the pivot point is projected forward to the rear axle. The camper can not sway. The first time you drive around the block and you make a right turn and the nose of the camper goes right also you will have a little mini freak out, but you do get use to it and when you drive through the mountain passes in the wind and camper stays calm and directly in line with the truck you will understand why all those who have one say buy one.
You can get blown around still but it will happen as a unit so you will not get the wagging tail feel you get when the front of the camper pushes then the rear. In our half ton we feel the semis when passing a lot more then with the 2500 but we do not get sway or scary control feelings.

Also as a bonus you will be able to back at steeper angles with the propride and for us we can open the tailgate while hooked( that will of course vary with campers and tank positions)

And you do still need to load the camper/ trailer properly. If the tongue light it can still push the rear tires around and lots of bad things can happen, The hitch will never fix that, but it can improve your towing experience and comfort level.

We have put on about 15k of travel a year the past few summers so for us it is well worth it.
Expensive yes, but really all the better hitches are pretty spendy today so not as bad of a spread as it was 10 years ago.

Last edited:

ammdrew

Reaction score
Here is our’s with the 1500 hooked up

Attachments

• IMG_6943.jpeg
    IMG_6943.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7052.jpeg
    IMG_7052.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7332.jpeg
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    537.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7581.jpeg
    IMG_7581.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 28

whitexc

Reaction score
Nice set up. Loved my Flagstaff and wish I still had it. Bought into the Grand sceme……and it isn’t all that.

Sent from me

Users who are viewing this thread