Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire repair question

jwindstein

Reaction score
Driving home from work today and picked up a razor blade somewhere along the way. Heard it hissing when I got out of the truck so it obviously made some sort of puncture. It cut the tread block fairly deep too. My question is would you trust a patch or plug in the center tread? They are 37x12.50 Wildpeak AT3W Load range D. This is my DD and we usually take the truck when we vacation, head to the farm, etc. If you wouldn’t trust the patch, can I replace just the one tire with a new one. Tread depth is around 12 or 13/32. Fallen shows that they are 19/32 new. Think I’d see any issues? I appreciate everyone’s insight.

Attachments

• IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 16

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I trust tire repairs, I’ve plugged tires and they lasted the rest of the tire life. For a slice like that and not a nail puncture, I would take it to the tire shop and let them patch it. Many times they’ll do it for free. If it’s not safe to use, they will let you know and they will be glad to sell you a tire.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
A razor blade could be a tough one. I would try to plug it. I ahve plug 100s of tires and not have troubles with them. Use Black Jack tire plugs, do not clean the hole with a reamer it only makes the hole bigger. These 2 have been in for about 4 years and this Jeep in my daily and then some and the paddle tire was the 2nd time my boy used it. Now and 5 or 6 years old.

Attachments

• 20240322_194749.jpg
    20240322_194749.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240322_195547.jpg
    20240322_195547.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 14

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Driving home from work today and picked up a razor blade somewhere along the way. Heard it hissing when I got out of the truck so it obviously made some sort of puncture. It cut the tread block fairly deep too. My question is would you trust a patch or plug in the center tread? They are 37x12.50 Wildpeak AT3W Load range D. This is my DD and we usually take the truck when we vacation, head to the farm, etc. If you wouldn’t trust the patch, can I replace just the one tire with a new one. Tread depth is around 12 or 13/32. Fallen shows that they are 19/32 new. Think I’d see any issues? I appreciate everyone’s insight.

I trust tire repairs and have plugged many tires, even one this week, but a razor blade does a lot more damage than a nail/screw/rock.

I’d take it to a reputable tire shop and see what they think.

jwindstein

Reaction score
I appreciate it everyone. Usually my tire issues are catastrophic to where I can't repair, so it makes it an easier decision!

Truckman

Reaction score
The only proper way to repair any tubeless tire is with a plug/patch combination, plugs only, should only be a temporary repair to get you to a tire repair shop for the proper repair. Patching only lets the steel cords able to get moisture in them and cause rust/corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread