Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram HD & I want to protect my heater core as best that I can - Zerex HD Extended Life better than MOPAR coolant?

AirRyan

Reaction score
I'm in a couple of FB groups for HD Rams and wow, all sorts of people having issues with either a plugged heater core that just needs to be flushed, or one that is already bad and the entire dash needs to be removed in order to replace it. Sometimes it's the blend doors, too. So I can't help but wonder, is it the MOPAR OAT coolant that comes from the factory just not good for 10 years/150k miles or is it this theory of sediment in the CGI engine blocks? (Have a hard time believing that theory with these engines coming from a Cummins manufacturing facility.)

Much like many things, if the owner's manual says you can go up to 15k miles or 1 year on an oil change, I'll probably cut that in half and go 7,500 miles, if even that long. I just don't trust this coolant (or any coolant, really) to last me 10 years. I've seen too many gunked-up coolant reservoirs and busted heater cores to feel comfortable with that. I'm thinking 5 years at most on the factory coolant, maybe even 3 years if I think there is a better coolant out there. I was expecting to see purple OAT coolant in my MY23 Ram HD, but it's a red/pink and as I have gathered, probably still OAT, it just has a different dye in it.

Prestone has some really interesting advertising on their latest products. 15+ years or 350k miles with their new Prestone Platinum. I can't find where it says it's an OAT coolant or what it is, but the dyes just don't always indicate what type of coolant it is anymore. I'm a little turned off however when they say it can universally work with all fluid colors including all OAT, POAT, HOAT, and IAT. That just doesn't make sense to me, or rather label me not convinced. They say they guarantee it, though, but you have to read the fine print and they say you need to do a complete flush and follow your owner's manual for topping off requirements and change intervals.)

https://prestone.com/product/platinumafc/
Prestone Platinum All Vehicles.png

The one that I am most intrigued about and interested in trying, is the Valvoline Zerex Heavy Duty Extended Life. It comes in both Red and Yellow, and is stated that it is a OAT coolant. I know Cummins likes Valvoline and I would tend to believe that Zerex is better than the MOPAR OAT coolant that we don't even know who makes it. Silicate and Nitrate free, they new labels are claiming 10 years or 1 million miles with no supplemental coolant additives required, (like the previous labels for the same product said.) This Zerex is Cummins certified and can also be used in gas engines, stationary power, marine, natural gas, and light-duty applications. To me, if it is CAT EC-1 and Cummins CES certified, I'm good with that.
https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/zerex-nitrite-free-extended-life-red-antifreeze/
Screenshot 2024-01-24 130827.pngScreenshot 2024-01-24 130724.png

Attachments

• US_Val_ZXExtendedNFRed_AFC_HD_EN.pdf
    638.1 KB · Views: 1

Riddick

Reaction score
In the 5 years I’ve been on this forum I’m not sure I’ve seen one person post about plugged or bad heater cores in a 2019+ HD.

I agree, I have not seen any 19+ trucks report any issues. On the FB groups the people having issues have early 4th gen trucks or even older trucks. On a 10 year old truck you have to wonder if their coolant was ever changed. There have been improvements to coolant over the years so I hope this alone prevents our trucks from having issues down the road. You could install an inline filter but I honestly dont think it will catch anything. Change your coolant NLT 100k miles or 5 years and you should be good.

My wife previously had a 14 Camry and this car also used the OAT style coolant. I changed it at 100k miles and it came out very clean, no debris and looked new.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I have dealt with several clogged heater cores in the 4th gens and every bit of crap I got out of flushing the cores seemed to be some sort of sediment or casting sand. It was not due to old coolant or coolant gelling etc.
Maybe they change the block cleaning/assembly process in the 19+ trucks, Or they just haven't had enough time to clog yet? It was probably around the 5 year mark when I started seeing issues with my 4th gen so time will tell.

Last edited:

AirRyan

Reaction score
I have dealt with several clogged heater cores in the 4th gens and every bit of crap I got out of flushing the cores seemed to be some sort of sediment or casting sand. It was not due to old coolant or coolant gelling etc.
Maybe they change the block cleaning/assembly process in the 19+ trucks, Or they just haven't had enough time to clog yet? It was probably around the 5 year mark when I started seeing issues with my 4th gen so time will tell.

Interesting point. Cummins did switch to a CGI engine block for 2019+ and maybe that corrected a lot of those plugged heater core issues?

Riddick

Reaction score
OP, did you install a coolant filter on yours? I saw Sinister Diesel offers a kit for the 19+ trucks and it got me thinking. I think the 4th gen heater core was a carry over for our trucks. As stated above though prolly not a heater core design issue as its probably a manufacturing issue with the blocks.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
These lifetime fluids, 150k mile coolants are gimmicks. I would change the coolant at 75k-100k miles- it’s cheap insurance. Fluids have gotten better but it’s a selling point that sometimes doesn’t make sense.

jebruns

Reaction score
These lifetime fluids, 150k mile coolants are gimmicks. I would change the coolant at 75k-100k miles- it’s cheap insurance. Fluids have gotten better but it’s a selling point that sometimes doesn’t make sense.
Do you have anything to show that they gimmicks?

jebruns

Reaction score
The Cummins in our diesel pusher has a coolant filter. Seems like a good idea.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Do you have anything to show that they gimmicks?
GM dexcool is a perfect example of this- a poor product to begin with regardless. Mercedes used to use “lifetime transmission fluid” then changed it to 40k changes. There is a forum called bobtheoilguy who has a lot of info on fluids.

roegs

Reaction score
Dexcool has always been controversial, and I'm not sure if it was a poor product to begin with, or if GM did not do their homework on preparing their engines (e.g. intake manifold gaskets) to coexist with Dexcool. 3 years ago I bought a 2002 Corvette from the original owner that still had original Dexcool in it. I was nervous about what I might find. When I did a drain / flush, what came out was pristine coolant that was still the same color as the new Dexcool that I put back in.

AirRyan

Reaction score
OP, did you install a coolant filter on yours? I saw Sinister Diesel offers a kit for the 19+ trucks and it got me thinking. I think the 4th gen heater core was a carry over for our trucks. As stated above though prolly not a heater core design issue as its probably a manufacturing issue with the blocks.
No, not at this time. Not sure it's necessary on the new blocks and at most, I just plan on changing the coolant out more frequently than the owner's manual calls for. I like that Zerex HD Extended Life above.

jebruns

Reaction score
GM dexcool is a perfect example of this- a poor product to begin with regardless. Mercedes used to use “lifetime transmission fluid” then changed it to 40k changes. There is a forum called bobtheoilguy who has a lot of info on fluids.
Okay. But what do these examples have to do with Ram OATS coolant 150K recommendation being a gimmick?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The OAT coolant is junk thats the issue its like a slimy sludge compared to others i will be changing mine out this spring. ill be using TRP extended life it is good for 1 million miles roughly and its all we run in big rigs here its great stuff

roegs

Reaction score
The OAT coolant is junk thats the issue its like a slimy sludge compared to others i will be changing mine out this spring. ill be using TRP extended life it is good for 1 million miles roughly and its all we run in big rigs here its great stuff

Looks to me like its OAT based.....

As posted above, can you back up your 'OAT coolant is junk' statement?

flan

Reaction score
I have noticed how it changed from a nice light purple to dark murky looking fluid over the 23k miles I’ve put on my truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Looks to me like its OAT based.....

As posted above, can you back up your 'OAT coolant is junk' statement?
I made a spelling mistake i ment THAT oat coolant is junk along with mopars stuff and dex cool i dont have any data just over 30 years working on cars 10 of those years professionally before switching to industrial millwright.

The OATs like mopar and dexcool are usually like have a sludge that comes out when flushing the system almost like stop leak

Users who are viewing this thread