Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HEMI® Power To Keep Going In Ram Heavy Duty Trucks

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

HEMI® Power To Keep Going In Ram Heavy Duty Trucks​

6.4-liter "BGE" Engine To Continue As Standard Powerplant In Heavy Duty Series...​

IMG_1116.jpeg

The past year and a half has been dismal for HEMI® V8 fans, with Stellantis moving away from the current HEMI V8 engine portfolio. However, it doesn’t mean that all HEMI availability is ending. According to sources close to HDRams.com, the 6.4-liter (392 cubic-inch) HEMI® V8, known as the ‘BGE’ or Big Gas Engine, will live on under the hoods of the Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
They have to with that GM and ford offers or most Americans won’t buy their gas HD trucks

silver billet

Reaction score
So they also claim the 6 speed is getting dropped in favour of the ZF 8 speed "powerline" which can handle up to 1000 lb/ft. Guess that means that the cummins is getting derated then vs the current models.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So they also claim the 6 speed is getting dropped in favour of the ZF 8 speed "powerline" which can handle up to 1000 lb/ft. Guess that means that the cummins is getting derated then vs the current models.
That rating will get bumped up don’t be foolish or mislead no company goes backwards in power output

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

You might want to visit the other thread.

That trans is already rated in PACCAR form for 1050 @ 57K GCWR.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I do agree that Ram will not lower the torque, they will raise it. They will stretch it as much as they can even if it means ruining the longevity of the transmission just to make it through the warranty period. They have done this with every trans they have built from 2nd gen on since none of them have been bulletproof.

MKelp95

Reaction score
No new gas engine. No new cab. No 3500 rebel or power wagon. No multi function tailgate. No 4500 pickup option. The updated interiors along with new mirrors and soon to be new 8 speed are all welcome changes. But those along with the other things I mentioned should have been all been released by now in my opinion.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Torque management, question is how much/intrusive? Food for thought, the Ford 10R140 behind the PowerStroke is rated for 1,400 nm (1,032 ft/lbs)………..both their offerings exceed that (1,050 or 1,200).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No new gas engine. No new cab. No 3500 rebel or power wagon. No multi function tailgate. No 4500 pickup option. The updated interiors along with new mirrors and soon to be new 8 speed are all welcome changes. But those along with the other things I mentioned should have been all been released by now in my opinion.
Rams 3500 is equal to if not higher rated than fords F450 IIRC there is no need for a 4500 ram pickup that is just silly. New engines are not always a good thing plus the hemi puts down plenty of power any more power required a diesel is the clear choice. Multi function tailgate is just silly and the current cab is a great cab. A 3500 PW is just a silly idea

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

OK, now that's better than just, "Ram continues sitting on the bench." which just comes off as a cheap shot.

MKelp95

Reaction score
Rams 3500 is equal to if not higher rated than fords F450 IIRC there is no need for a 4500 ram pickup that is just silly. New engines are not always a good thing plus the hemi puts down plenty of power any more power required a diesel is the clear choice. Multi function tailgate is just silly and the current cab is a great cab. A 3500 PW is just a silly idea
A 4500 would have larger brakes and sharper turning radius. Which can be beneficial when towing or simply driving around town in tighter areas. Multi function tailgate would make loading and unloading the bed easier. The hd crew cab is the smallest in the segment. It can feel cramped sometimes especially with adult passengers and the bump in the rear middle seat . There’s the mega cab but that has no long bed option. I don’t see what’s so silly about any of that. Plus it would make ram more competitive with gm and ford. It’s fine if you disagree but there’s plenty of people that feel differently.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
A 4500 would have larger brakes and sharper turning radius. Which can be beneficial when towing or simply driving around town in tighter areas. Multi function tailgate would make loading and unloading the bed easier. The hd crew cab is the smallest in the segment. It can feel cramped sometimes especially with adult passengers and the bump in the rear middle seat . There’s the mega cab but that has no long bed option. I don’t see what’s so silly about any of that. Plus it would make ram more competitive with gm and ford. It’s fine if you disagree but there’s plenty of people that feel differently.
So far all you have done on this forum is complain about the Rams. Do you even have one? If you do what do you do with it that you need a 4500 with a bed?

silver billet

Reaction score
You might want to visit the other thread.

That trans is already rated in PACCAR form for 1050 @ 57K GCWR.

There are no guarantees until it's publicly down on paper without any tricks to get there. For example, the new Ram 1500's have less towing ability (GCWR) so it wouldn't be the first time they rate down in a newer version vs the previous.

Another thing to remember, Ram takes a ZF and modifies it, so the ZF mated to the 3.6 is their own hack and has more issues and less max torque.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There are no guarantees until it's publicly down on paper without any tricks to get there. For example, the new Ram 1500's have less towing ability (GCWR) so it wouldn't be the first time they rate down in a newer version vs the previous.

Another thing to remember, Ram takes a ZF and modifies it, so the ZF mated to the 3.6 is their own hack and has more issues and less max torque.

I think RAM will have a "bespoke" edition of the ZF, built by ZF of course, to handle the power. Perhaps beefier internals and better/more clutch material. TM will most certainly be in play as it is now in the Aisin. I've no doubt Ford and GM are using it, or they're banking on EOL just out of warranty. Doubt that will go well for them.

Users who are viewing this thread