Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Fuel Milage

Ram 3500 6.7

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a 24 3500 srw with the HO engine. what kind of fuel milage do you guys get with yours?

dgstandard

Reaction score
Hit 10.6litres per 100km on road trip this winter with 4 people, not towing. Average around 13.5l/100 around town. Bumps up to around 18 - 20l/100 with slide in camper. Sorry for the beavertalk - no idea on the conversion‍
20231229_144701.jpg

Last edited:

thecastle

Reaction score
The aerodynamics of these trucks (well any really) are not fantastic. So speed / wind plays an outsized role in fuel economy. I find anything above 65-70 and there is a significant decline in fuel economy. But the ranges AH64ID list are pretty much spot on for my observations. Doing a 300+ mile drive at 85+ I find I'm lucky to get 16mpg (measured at the pump), the computer on my truck is generally optimistic in its fuel economy display.

CdnHO

Reaction score
9-11 towing at 21-23 GCW in the Idaho Mountains.

15-17 around town.

17-20 at 70-75

14-16 at 85

18-22 at 65
Subtract 1 to 2 mph from @AH64ID . Dually with a 4.10 axle. But then I didn't buy it for great fuel mileage. I guess if I buy a 100,000 dollar truck to haul a 22,000 pound trailer the last thing on my mind was fuel mileage. ;)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
9-11 towing at 21-23 GCW in the Idaho Mountains.

15-17 around town.

17-20 at 70-75

14-16 at 85

18-22 at 65

I wish.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Hit 10.6litres per 100km on road trip this winter with 4 people, not towing. Average around 13.5l/100 around town. Bumps up to around 18 - 20l/100 with slide in camper. Sorry for the beavertalk - no idea on the conversion‍
View attachment 69738
13.5L/100km is 17.4 mpg if anyone is interested.

Brutal, you have WAY too much time on your hands.:)

CdnHO

Reaction score
I will admit that tracking your fuel mileage (which I do using an app) is useful as one of the parameters that indicates the health of your engine. A sudden unexplained drop could indicate an issue. You go @Brutal_HO . :cool:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I will admit that tracking your fuel mileage (which I do using an app) is useful as one of the parameters that indicates the health of your engine. A sudden unexplained drop could indicate an issue. You go @Brutal_HO . :cool:

I track it very closely as well, to include DEF consumption and regen’s as well.

I’ve made graphs in the past, but haven’t created in on my ‘22’s excel file yet.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I track it very closely as well, to include DEF consumption and regen’s as well.

I’ve made graphs in the past, but haven’t created in on my ‘22’s excel file yet.
I have tracked my DEF since new. I just created a separate vehicle in the app and indicate the amount of DEF (at point of purchase, both jugs and truck pump) and the mileage. Of course I find it hard to separate towing and unloaded use but it gives me a good idea of overall use. With around 50% towing I am getting an average of 466 miles per gallon of DEF. Maybe a bit higher since I have a jug sitting here and the DEF tank is almost full. Should probably track regens as well.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tracked my DEF since new. I just created a separate vehicle in the app and indicate the amount of DEF (at point of purchase, both jugs and truck pump) and the mileage. Of course I find it hard to separate towing and unloaded use but it gives me a good idea of overall use. With around 50% towing I am getting an average of 466 miles per gallon of DEF. Maybe a bit higher since I have a jug sitting here and the DEF tank is almost full. Should probably track regens as well.

I’m sitting at 519 mph DEF with 35% towing. The most towing I’ve seen in a tank of DEF is 74.2% and the least is 0.2%. It’s given me a good guideline of approx towing and empty DEF economy, and correlates well to the tanks with towing between those numbers.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
13.5L/100km is 17.4 mpg if anyone is interested.

Brutal, you have WAY too much time on your hands.:)

Nope, just put into into aCar (Fuely) app. It tracks it all and makes the graphs. If I did want to get more creative, I could export the data. $4.99/year.

I also save every single receipt, particularly since I once had a CP4.2 in my truck.

RE Time: While I do make time to get online, I've had 1 day off work in the last 8 weeks. Flown 6/8 weeks, including weekends, overnight jobs. Just about worn to a nub. Q1 is always busy but more so this year due to extenuating circumstances.

:cool:

Also track DEF.

I'm not so good on tracking regens as I don't currently have any issues. However, I am starting to add a note into aCar since the last one.

Same. You using Fuelly?

I’m sitting at 519 mph DEF with 35% towing. The most towing I’ve seen in a tank of DEF is 74.2% and the least is 0.2%. It’s given me a good guideline of approx towing and empty DEF economy, and correlates well to the tanks with towing between those numbers.

For some reason, the first data point (delivery month) is whack and it looks like I messed up something in Sep 21.

1710543800303.png

CdnHO

Reaction score
Nope, just put into into aCar (Fuely) app. It tracks it all and makes the graphs. If I did want to get more creative, I could export the data. $4.99/year.

I also save every single receipt, particularly since I once had a CP4.2 in my truck.

RE Time: While I do make time to get online, I've had 1 day off work in the last 8 weeks. Flown 6/8 weeks, including weekends, overnight jobs. Just about worn to a nub. Q1 is always busy but more so this year due to extenuating circumstances.

:cool:

Also track DEF.

I'm not so good on tracking regens as I don't currently have any issues. However, I am starting to add a note into aCar since the last one.

Same. You using Fuelly?

For some reason, the first data point (delivery month) is whack and it looks like I messed up something in Sep 21.

View attachment 70577
Using an iPhone app called Road Trip. Been using it for 14 years. Might be available for Android devices as well.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
I also save all my receipts and record the mileage at each. It goes into Quicken and I can print out a report with gallons and mileage at each fillup (which I have also put into Excel and graphed). I also keep track of DEF fills and regen hours. I just installed Fuelly on my phone. Thanks for the tip.

Enve46

Reaction score
Some of these numbers give me hope into a 3500 long bed HO truck! I’ll be mostly unloaded besides trips with the family with a bed full of cargo for camping/exploring etc.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Are you occasionally going to pull loads that require the torque of an HO diesel? Or even a diesel at all? If so, great. If not, "mostly unloaded with a bed full of cargo" sounds like a perfect fit for a gas engine. If you follow this forum, you are aware of the higher maintenance costs and the potential issues with the emission systems on these diesel trucks, particularly when you are not loading them down. I wouldn't buy a diesel unless I really needed it. The higher cost of diesel typically overcomes any better fuel economy and even if the price was a push, you'll never recover the extra cost of a diesel system.

If you have your heart set on a diesel, go for it. We've probably all made some decisions based on emotion rather that cold rational thinking and are probably all happier for it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The OP hasn’t been back since their post, and only 1 post. Not holding my breath for this going anywhere.

Enve46

Reaction score
Are you occasionally going to pull loads that require the torque of an HO diesel? Or even a diesel at all? If so, great. If not, "mostly unloaded with a bed full of cargo" sounds like a perfect fit for a gas engine. If you follow this forum, you are aware of the higher maintenance costs and the potential issues with the emission systems on these diesel trucks, particularly when you are not loading them down. I wouldn't buy a diesel unless I really needed it. The higher cost of diesel typically overcomes any better fuel economy and even if the price was a push, you'll never recover the extra cost of a diesel system.

If you have your heart set on a diesel, go for it. We've probably all made some decisions based on emotion rather that cold rational thinking and are probably all happier for it.
I’ve had diesels, no don’t need one and I’m aware of the costs which I think it’s drastically blown out of proportion. Even a modest boost in fuel economy is offset a good chunk of money. Gas truck is more than enough, hell a 1500 would be too but it’s not what I want and my PW is getting under 10 mpg, costing $620 in fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread