Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No crank no start

MrDad36

Reaction score
Hi everyone, seeing if someone can educate me here. I have a 2019 2500 6.4 bighorn. Now, I also have a new battery. Long story short, I very randomly get a no crank no start, sometimes 2,3, and even 4 times in a row before the truck finally turns over and starts. There’s about a 10 second pause after hitting the start button before you hear a click and are able to do it again. The issue persists after a new battery. I chased my tail on a parasitic draw before I realized what’s going on.

I hooked up my amp clamp to the battery and caught around 9 amps as the truck tried to start, with a no crank no start. So clearly the starter tried to turn over. Another time, I was able to catch that when you hit start, it’s not like the starter sits there drawing amps trying to turn over for 10 seconds, it only lasts about a second or so then amps go away, as if something takes away the solenoid voltage.

What is frustrating here, is it’s very random, sometimes I go a week or two with no issue, then it happens out of nowhere, and will eventually start on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th push. I keep telling myself I need to remove, inspect, clean, and reinstall the starter, but I’m hoping someone here has some idea of what’s going on.

Thank you.

Arvid

Reaction score
Check the starter.
Next time it’s a no go tap the starter with a hammer if it starts after that then that’s most likely it.
Had to replace my starter on my 2022 power wagon at 50k miles

Arvid

Reaction score
Yup! I crawled under my truck a couple times a week to get it going that way before I had time to swap out the starter. Mine happened randomly as well. Would be good for a few days then a problem some days. Knocking on the starter got it going every time.

MrDad36

Reaction score
How hard was replacing it? Any crazy extensions / swivel knuckles needed? I can’t find any videos on a 2019 2500 starter swap. I’m not sure what years it’s comparable to. I think they changed a lot from 2009-2018 styles?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There is a TSB for the starter positive terminal nut i wonder if that is the issue? It sounds like a loose connection issue to me

Arvid

Reaction score
Do you hear a click and then nothing? Or just nothing?

Matt58

Reaction score
Can almost guarantee the starter needs to be replaced. I had to replace mine in the parking lot of a body shop and all in, maybe 20 mins…

Users who are viewing this thread