Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Insurance Rates on new 3500

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I’ve been with Farmers for 36 years (like you I guess) but my rate for my truck has been the same since I got it. High then and now (in my opinion).
That means your actual rate has increased. As the value of your vehicle falls, half of you bill should fall with it if you have full coverage. If it is staying the same, they are offsetting the incremental increases with the incremental decline in value.

I was with farmers since I was 16. When they paid $180K to a fraudster who did a lane change slamming on the brakes in front of my son, I dropped them. Son got a ticket, which we beat in court. Heck, even the officer said sorry, he missed some things. But Farmers had already accepted full liability. Reported them to the State and they got a small reprimand and then had the gall to surcharge me. 37 years and their lack of integrity chased me away.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I've always found the best rates by combining policies under one provider. We have 3 auto, home, a few personal property, boat and RV insurance all through one provider/agent. I have yet to find another provider that can beat what we are and have been paying for 20 years. And we shop every year just to see.

We're with Erie.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Rates are up everywhere.. it's crazy.

That said, on my 2021 DRW 3500 I'm paying $850/year, USAA.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
Well you’re not speaking for all of California. My rate did not go up by 30% in 2023. I’ve been with Farmers for 36 years (like you I guess) but my rate for my truck has been the same since I got it. High then and now (in my opinion).

It’s nearly impossible to compare this stuff but can get close if people would post what their limits and deductibles are otherwise comparing monthly’s is useless.
It will go up in ‘24. if you have not renewed yet. If by chance your premium did not go up. Farmers will hit premiums sooner than later.

whitexc

Reaction score
I’m with Jake. He treats me well, but it may be time to call and see if he still has the same outfit on.

Sent from me

Cseybert

Reaction score
Well, let’s all hope they don’t implement commercial insurance for 14,000 pound and above Trucks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I've so many horror stories about the decline of USAA, it's scared me off getting a quote.

Progressive, for all their faults has been pretty good to me since 2005. I've not found any other carrier that can beat their rates. I'd move my homeowners to them but oddly AmFam still has the lowest rate.

Hell, we even sued them both in 2004 for bad faith regarding failure to pay bills for an accident my son was was a passenger and injured party. We had AmFam, driver had Progressive.

I've always found the best rates by combining policies under one provider. We have 3 auto, home, a few personal property, boat and RV insurance all through one provider/agent. I have yet to find another provider that can beat what we are and have been paying for 20 years. And we shop every year just to see.

We're with Erie.

3 vehicles, Boat, RV, ATV with Progressive. Home with AmFam. Oddly, always the best/lowest for the coverage I have when I last shopped. That said, the homeowners insurance rates have skyrocketed with the home value prices and inflation, so it may be time to shop it again.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, let’s all hope they don’t implement commercial insurance for 14,000 pound and above Trucks.

In theory it should only be 14,001 and above.

I've so many horror stories about the decline of USAA, it's scared me off getting a quote.

Progressive, for all their faults has been pretty good to me since 2005. I've not found any other carrier that can beat their rates. I'd move my homeowners to them but oddly AmFam still has the lowest rate.

Hell, we even sued them both in 2004 for bad faith regarding failure to pay bills for an accident my son was was a passenger and injured party. We had AmFam, driver had Progressive.

3 vehicles, Boat, RV, ATV with Progressive. Home with AmFam. Oddly, always the best/lowest for the coverage I have when I last shopped. That said, the homeowners insurance rates have skyrocketed with the home value prices and inflation, so it may be time to shop it again.

They have been good to us, but I should spend a little time shopping to verify they are still as good as 15-20 years ago.

jerryw1000

Reaction score

I'm paying USAA $1260 a year on my 2020 2500 SRW 6.4 and $1450 a year on my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. No violations in 40 years, $1000 deductible, and only about 3000 miles per year on each vehicle. But I'm in a county in Georgia that has an Army base, Fort Eisenhower, and the county itself, shall I say is minority majority. The auto insurance rates have always been terrible here. I've shopped all of the big names, including Farmers, but still can't beat the USAA rates. Even dropping full coverage and going liability only wouldn't save me much money.

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Rates went nuts last year. We have two vehicles less than 3 years old, perfect driving records, and are both over 50 years old. Home and auto with the same carrier, high deductibles/out of pocket on the cars, and we shopped it.

All that and I’m paying more annually to insure the cars than the house. And the house is guaranteed to get pummeled by hail every year.

Without getting political, it should be obvious why the pool of premiums being collected has had to increase along with the number of drivers on the road who are not paying in at all. At least in some states…

BamaOEF

Reaction score
My USAA Auto policy for my 5th Wheel is for a 6-month term. Are you sure your rates are $1260 and $1450 annually? Those sound like 6-month term rates. They, USAA, cannot compete with the lizard on my sig vehicles even though my rates have jumped considerably over the past two years with no claims or tickets. USAA Homeowners policy just went up about 25%.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Not sure how Canadian rates compare to the US but I was surprised that my annual rate for the new truck was the same as my 2003 dually. Around 950 a year. And that is Canadian dollars. Only about 100 more than my 2012 Honda Accord.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
here's my 22 3500 (bighorn)...this is with a teenage driver and the random "discounts" through farm bureau (good driver/student, companion, loyalty, claims, etc) - and yes, this is an annual policy (we pay quarterly but i think you can also pay monthly without any additional charge)

go back three years before we had the teenage driver and it was $1k/year - it was $1500 last year and renewed this fall at $1900.

could raise my deductibles to help some but not as much as one would think and the property damage limits probably should be raised

1709821622254.png

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I've not seen my rates for 2024 as I pay annually. August of '22 to August of '23 was a few dollars more for the autos and TT, the Umbrella went down and the home policy went up about 5%. The Tahoe is on a separate policy, when Farmers wanted $1K for 6 months, Progressive wanted $400 in 2021. Now Progressive has almost doubled from '21 to '24. They want as much for an '09 Tahoe as I pay for the '22 Ram, a '21 TT and the umbrella combined. I'll probably just add it back on to my AAA policy.

One might ask why I'd keep one vehicle out from the others. Well, it was the cheapest to insure singly. I had 2 teenage boys. They both paid for their own cars and insurance, had some tickets, etc. My AAA policy, I specifically excluded them which saved me a LOT. But Progressive did not make me exclude them for a pretty decent rate. So I kept it separate in case, for some reason, they needed to borrow the Tahoe. I told them...you drive the GTO or the Ram...I am going to consider that as theft. :)

gimmie11s

Reaction score

I couldnt tell a bad story about USAA. Well.. I guess I could tell one about home owners being they dropped us for being in a "fire zone" last year unannounced.

As it relates to auto, they've always taken care of us, no questions asked. Claims paid immediately and settled $$ fairly.

Rates have risen which has got me looking, although I feel our rates are still reasonable given the competition.

I'm paying USAA $1260 a year on my 2020 2500 SRW 6.4 and $1450 a year on my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. No violations in 40 years, $1000 deductible, and only about 3000 miles per year on each vehicle. But I'm in a county in Georgia that has an Army base, Fort Eisenhower, and the county itself, shall I say is minority majority. The auto insurance rates have always been terrible here. I've shopped all of the big names, including Farmers, but still can't beat the USAA rates. Even dropping full coverage and going liability only wouldn't save me much money.

I just went and pulled up my policy -- I misspoke. My 2021 DRW 3500 is $980 annually, not $850 like I thought. We have had USAA for 20+ years. 0 at fault accidents and no recent moving violations (speeding, improper lane change, etc etc).

Although I have had 2 comprehensive-covered collisions in the last 10 years that were deemed no-fault of ours (tire tread flew off of a semi several years ago causing $4k in damage to the front of a brand new Mustang I bought).

Enve46

Reaction score
My 23 Power Wagon through Farm Bureau is under a commercial policy since I finance through my LLC and I have a $1 million umbrella with it, $2323 every 12 months. My wife's Q8 is $117/mth. Not unhappy with the price but I may switch everything back to personal now that we closed on our house

buzzuti

Reaction score
Yeah insurances rats... I mean rates here in Texas have posted huge increases over the past 3 years each year for us.
Texas is one of the worst states when it comes to insurance.

Highly recommend shopping around more as that seems pretty high.
When we first started looking the initial round of research was way higher than where we landed.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
My USAA Auto policy for my 5th Wheel is for a 6-month term. Are you sure your rates are $1260 and $1450 annually? Those sound like 6-month term rates.

6-moth premium for the 2020 RAM 2500 is $629.11 and for the '19 Jeep GC is $711.12

56ram2500

Reaction score
6-moth premium for the 2020 RAM 2500 is $629.11 and for the '19 Jeep GC is $711.12
My 22 2500 & wife's 21 Highlander through progressive is $1150 up $120 from 6 months ago, I have 250 deductible, 300/500 liability, so far no one has beat there price, they want me to add my home coverage with them but they cant beat Safco price

Users who are viewing this thread