Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd change in driving performance

Crashresq21

Reaction score
For reference 2020 3500 Limited SRW CC
6.4 Liter
64202m

So noticed in the last few days the truck, while driving, got sluggish and felt like the brakes were applied BUT:

Put into neutral, rolled free.
Check the gear limiter, all good.

Is this a sign of the transmission deciding to go "2 to 4 7 to 9" (calling hours for the non humorists)?

Also side notes:
Starter needs to be whacked when it's cold/wet/sitting for 24h+
Front (left wheel bearing)is making noise akin to driving over highway chatter strips.

Thanks!

Grey

Reaction score
I wouldn't think you would have any of those issues at only 64,000 miles. Any unusual conditions?

Crashresq21

Reaction score
I wouldn't think you would have any of those issues at only 64,000 miles. Any unusual conditions?
Not really. Just seems like it's sluggish. Other than I noticed the 4WD High engaged on the highway a few weeks ago (about 70 mph) and **** my pants.

Typical New England weather, nor'easter at work 15 minite drive later zero snow and sunny. Looked down and I see the engaged indicator.

Grey

Reaction score
I'd have the truck checked over at a knowledgeable dealer or tech of your choice. Maybe you have a electrical issue. Toss the nasty pants, and make sure you clean that seat

Crashresq21

Reaction score
I'd have the truck checked over at a knowledgeable dealer or tech of your choice. Maybe you have a electrical issue. Toss the nasty pants, and make sure you clean that seat
The dealer I use (Planet Dodge in Franklin Mass) is pretty good with me. Warranty helps. Will update after next oil change.

Dave01

Reaction score
Not sure what would cause the sluggish feel. Surprised at all the other problems at that mileage, particularly the starter. On the wheel bearing noise, I'm wondering if it could be a half shaft or CV problem, especially given your 4WD highway adventure? Can sound/feel similar to a wheel bearing.

Crashresq21

Reaction score
Not sure what would cause the sluggish feel. Surprised at all the other problems at that mileage, particularly the starter. On the wheel bearing noise, I'm wondering if it could be a half shaft or CV problem, especially given your 4WD highway adventure? Can sound/feel similar to a wheel bearing.
Dave I'll add that to the list for the techs to investigate.

The starter is a weird one. Certain conditions it just goes click. I work for a fire department and we do 24s. Most mornings if it's Well Diggers Ass cold it happens. Almost curious about the wiring contacts.

Otherwise she's been pretty bulletproof.

Dave01

Reaction score
Any starter I've had to smack to get working wasn't because of connections, it was failing internally. I'm pretty sure you'll be replacing it at your dealer visit.

Getting under my 1998 GMC 6.5 diesel to smack the starter seemed like a normal start to a day.:) Having to do it on a 2020 Ram is pretty discouraging.

Crashresq21

Reaction score
Any starter I've had to smack to get working wasn't because of connections, it was failing internally. I'm pretty sure you'll be replacing it at your dealer visit.

Getting under my 1998 GMC 6.5 diesel to smack the starter seemed like a normal start to a day.:) Having to do it on a 2020 Ram is pretty discouraging.
Yeah. Parking lot crawls, especially being 6'3 325, under the truck are both irritating and embarrassing. My 77 M880 had those issues but like you said.........

The deals right now make me think screw it and trade it in too.

Users who are viewing this thread