Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 2500 6.4L Tire Pressure Sticker

lgjhn

Reaction score
While rotating my tires the other day, I always check tire pressure as well. Went to the driver's side door to look at the sticker and it had the fronts at 60 psi and the rears and the spare at 65 psi.
I thought that was kinda odd as my past trucks usually had the same pressure all the way around. I can see maybe doing that when hooked up and towing, but for general usage?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Most of us are running closer to 40-45 empty, depending on weight. The tire manufacturers have pressure charts that tell you what they should be depending on your weight. Figure out what the truck weighs ( on a truck scale) and adjust tire pressures accordingly.

You can also do “the chalk test” (google it), but I’m more a fan of going by the pressure charts.

whitexc

Reaction score
Most of us are running closer to 40-45 empty, depending on weight. The tire manufacturers have pressure charts that tell you what they should be depending on your weight. Figure out what the truck weighs ( on a truck scale) and adjust tire pressures accordingly.

You can also do “the chalk test” (google it), but I’m more a fan of going by the pressure charts.

This and live with the light in unless you have a means of altering the settings. It’s literally the only thing I would purchase one of the hack tools so I haven’t yet.

Sent from me

lgjhn

Reaction score
Yep. I'm familiar with the chalk test....good suggestion. I've also done it with a can of spray powder.
I just thought it was odd to have 5 psi more in the lighter back end than the heavier front end when I first looked at the factory sticker.
I've also done an approximate tread check by slowly driving thru a wet section of pavement and then onto a dry section and immediately looking at the tread pattern on the dry section as well as the wetted treads on the tires.
Also, coming off a somewhat dusty gravel driveway onto clean pavement will leave the tread pattern on both tire and pavement as well.
I certainly agree that actual truck weight and tire pressure charts are the more accurate way to go.
With no load on the truck, 60/65psi feels over-inflated and the tread pattern coming off gravel to pavement kinda confirms it.
I obviously don't wanna run with the light locked in unless I have to, but I'm gonna run a chalk test on it later today and probably end up reducing pressure until I get a decent tread pattern and ride.
I'm guessing around 50psi on all our corners for this truck when empty. We shall see.
Better yet, I may swing by a truck stop near here later this week and see if they'll let me run it up on the scales and go from there with a pressure chart.
Thanks, guys.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The pressures on the placard are for max weight, and loaded out you’d have more on the rear than the front, hence the higher pressure.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yep, like everyone said, it's for max weight. It's a lawyer thing.
I run 33 front and 28 rear cold. The tires gain about 5 psi when heated up from driving.
This gives me the best wear on the 35x12.50 tires running empty.
I used the alphaobd and rest my tire size and set the warning to 20 PSI as I air down some when off road.

DrTron

Reaction score
I run 33 front and 28 rear cold. The tires gain about 5 psi when heated up from driving.
This gives me the best wear on the 35x12.50 tires running empty.
Interesting. I run 50 all around and even then I think my 35's look pretty flat. 28 is quite a bit less than that. But my thread pattern is fine, so I'll stick with it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
At 50 PSI cold, I can see daylight between the ground and the outer edges of the tread. So it's flat.

daemonic3

Reaction score
Hi, new to Ram here (coming from an F150). My 3500 SRW is still a few months out but based on what I've seen on other stickers, it is going to suggest 65 front and 80 rear. I was thinking I'd try 65/65 unloaded, but was curious about the low pressure alert. Anyone know what the default is set to, like as a % of max cold, an absolute psi, or an absolute offset below max cold? I don't know if the alarm is adjustable normally, or requires this AlphaOBD tool (I'm only familiar with Forscan and have used it on my F150 and Mach E).

Thanks!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, new to Ram here (coming from an F150). My 3500 SRW is still a few months out but based on what I've seen on other stickers, it is going to suggest 65 front and 80 rear. I was thinking I'd try 65/65 unloaded, but was curious about the low pressure alert. Anyone know what the default is set to, like as a % of max cold, an absolute psi, or an absolute offset below max cold? I don't know if the alarm is adjustable normally, or requires this AlphaOBD tool (I'm only familiar with Forscan and have used it on my F150 and Mach E).

Thanks!

You don’t say what engine you have, but even with the heavier diesel 65/65 is still too much air unloaded.

The 3500 SRW in my sig weighs roughly 5400/3600 full of fuel with just me in it. That’s with a few add-ons over new and empty. Based on load/inflation tables I only need to run 55/35, and that’s what I run empty.

3500’s have TPIS which doesn’t have a warning associated with it.

Best bet is to get a weight and use the published tables. I prefer this Toyo table as it’s got a lot of sizes. I keep a copy on my phone with the rows of all the different tire sizes I own highlighted.

Riccochet

Reaction score
My 2500 had 80 psig in the tires when I took delivery. o_O

Dropped them down to 58, still going to check it a bit more.
All dealers have them at 80 so the tires don't get flat spots while they're sitting on the lot. They're supposed to drop the pressure prior to delivery, but never do. It's like driving on rocks.

daemonic3

Reaction score
This is fantastic info! Coming from a half ton that I always kept at 35/35, I will be getting a lot of use out of my Dewalt inflator and garage compressor.

Thanks!

Eatstone

Reaction score
Mine had 90. It was almost like driving on steel wheels.
Same. I drove it new 30 miles to a ferry. When I got off the ferry it opened up to 3 or 4 lanes wide. Jockeying around traffic it felt like I was riding on ball bearings. That and the lane assist fighting me when I didn’t signal changing lanes.

Users who are viewing this thread