Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel towing with Rambox

kevin588127

Reaction score
That's my bad, I said and was thinking Reese goosebox but watching the video, I see he is using an adapter. I had watched the video a long time ago and just quickly searched it up for the OP.

Looking at that gen y, it may work with a standard goose neck ball. I'll have to look into that one.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That's my bad, I said and was thinking Reese goosebox but watching the video, I see he is using an adapter. I had watched the video a long time ago and just quickly searched it up for the OP.

Looking at that gen y, it may work with a standard goose neck ball. I'll have to look into that one.

The Gen-Y works the same as the Reese Goosebox.

The Gen-Y is shorter and may make hooking up a pain since the tailgate can’t be down while you’re hooked up.

svanarts

Reaction score
Gen-Y also makes an offset goose ball that hooks into your factory puck system to move the ball back aout 4 inches for short bed trucks. It looks pretty sturdy.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
The Gen-Y works the same as the Reese Goosebox.

The Gen-Y is shorter and may make hooking up a pain since the tailgate can’t be down while you’re hooked up.
???? My tailgate drops just fine when hooked up. I wouldn’t drive with it down…..

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
???? My tailgate drops just fine when hooked up. I wouldn’t drive with it down…..

It depends on the trailer. The one I have in my yard in several inches from being able to drop the tailgate hooked up.

When I measure my personal 5th wheel it also appears I wouldn’t be able to have the tailgate dropped with the 5th wheel hooked up and a Gen-Y.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
It depends on the trailer. The one I have in my yard in several inches from being able to drop the tailgate hooked up.

When I measure my personal 5th wheel it also appears I wouldn’t be able to have the tailgate dropped with the 5th wheel hooked up and a Gen-Y.
I won’t argue it depends on the trailer, but looking up specs between the the Reese and GenY for the same application, the difference from 1st bolt on the wing to ball centerline is 1.63”…………

And I’m not hating on Reese, I have a GenY because I wanted a “goose box” they’re the only option for a Turning Point

Jqueen

Reaction score
Gen-Y also makes an offset goose ball that hooks into your factory puck system to move the ball back aout 4 inches for short bed trucks. It looks pretty sturdy.

You can’t get the factory puck system with Ramboxes

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
It really comes down to how you use your truck. The ram box was always something I thought would be cool to have. I thought it over really hard and figured that the chances of getting a 5th wheel were slim and if I did, there was a way to make it work. For me and how I use my truck, I'm very happy that I got them and I use them way more than I thought I would. Probably one of my favorite options on the truck.
I agree. I'm sure if I had the I would use the crap out them as well. My current truck has a toolbox and its always full. While I do love the storage it gives me, I hate how much space it takes from the bed. Especially since I have a really small bed. If i did ever get a 5th wheel trailer, it would probably be way down the line and I might be in a position to trade the truck if I had to...

Users who are viewing this thread