Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel towing with Rambox

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
This may nave been asked before but I could not find it if it was. Is it possible to tow a 4rh wheel trailer with Ramboxes? I have heard there may be clearance issues with the narrower bed.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I think the Sidewinder hitch is the only way with a fifth wheel (camper type hitch). With a regular gooseneck (flatbed/dump ect) I don't think clearance is an issue.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple on the ‘tube, as stated above need a pinbox like a sidewinder or turning point which necessitates a hitch that will secure into the pucks.

If you search “5th wheel with rambox” it pulls right up, I was curious myself.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple on the ‘tube, as stated above need a pinbox like a sidewinder or turning point which necessitates a hitch that will secure into the pucks.

If you search “5th wheel with rambox” it pulls right up, I was curious myself.
There are no pucks for a ram box you would need to install them or install rails.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I came across a slightly used 3500 that has the RamBox and as much as I know i would use the crap out of them, potentially not being able to tow a 5th wheel would be my only hesitation, aside from the price. I may not ever need it, but I would hate to have to trade the truck if that ever became an issue.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
While I really like my Rambox it does have downsides especially cargo space volume and the fifth wheel hitch issue.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I've wondered about the cargo space as well. I would be coming from a Nissan Frontier with a 5' bed and a toolbox though so I assume it will still feel like I have all kinds of room for activities...

kevin588127

Reaction score
This would be the way I'd go if I ever decide to go 5ver with my rambox truck. he has a second video on his channel showing clearances at various positions of turning. It looks close but looks like it works.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought there was a guy on YouTube using an Andersen ultimate hitch and a Reese goose box with his rambox truck.

Those two hitches aren’t designed to work together.

This would be the way I'd go if I ever decide to go 5ver with my rambox truck. he has a second video on his channel showing clearances at various positions of turning. It looks close but looks like it works.

I would definitely not go with rails, but rather add the puck system (despite what he says in the video) and use a Reese Sidewinder.

kevin588127

Reaction score
So not having a 5th wheel, what is the problem with this setup? A friend is running this in his 2022 Chevy. He had no reason to have to go this route other than the obvious benefits of the ultimate hitch. The setup was sold to him by the RV dealer where he purchased the RV. I've also seen positive reviews of both products used separately.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So not having and never having a 5th wheel, what is the problem with this setup? A friend is running this in his 2022 Chevy. He had no reason to have to go this route other than the obvious benefits of the ultimate hitch. The setup was sold to him by the RV dealer where he purchased the RV. I've also seen positive reviews of both products used separately.

The most prone to failure hitch on the market.

The GN adapter version, not rail system, is also known to damage bees because it’s not a rigid connection.

kevin588127

Reaction score
The most prone to failure hitch on the market.

The GN adapter version, not rail system, is also known to damage bees because it’s not a rigid connection.
I had heard that old school gooseneck adapters were not approved for use on most of the newer campers due to increasing the stress on trailer frame. My dad runs one on an older smaller 5th wheel and it really looks kind of sketchy, but he has had no issues. I thought the goose box was supposed to eliminate those issues. Are you saying that the ultimate hitch is the problem in this setup?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had heard that old school gooseneck adapters were not approved for use on most of the newer campers due to increasing the stress on trailer frame. My dad runs one on an older smaller 5th wheel and it really looks kind of sketchy, but he has had no issues. I thought the goose box was supposed to eliminate those issues. Are you saying that the ultimate hitch is the problem in this setup?

Yes, talking about the AUH and not the Reese Goosebox. The Goosebox is a good design.

I wouldn’t run a AUH or a gooseneck adapter.

svanarts

Reaction score
I had a 1500 with Rambox. I really liked the storage but when I bought the 3500 I opted not to have the Rambox. I can always just install a toolbox with all the same storage space and still have room for the 5th wheel hitch of my choice.

In my opinion, it's just not worth having the wow factor of the Rambox when you're trying to tow a 5th wheel.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
This is all really great info. The only reason I am considering it is because there is a chance of a really good deal on a barely used Limited with it. Otherwise I wouldn't get the Rambox either. Of course, My wife wants a motorhome and is trying to push me to a 1500. I've been wanting an HD truck for so long, I'm not sure I can change my mind now...

kevin588127

Reaction score
It really comes down to how you use your truck. The ram box was always something I thought would be cool to have. I thought it over really hard and figured that the chances of getting a 5th wheel were slim and if I did, there was a way to make it work. For me and how I use my truck, I'm very happy that I got them and I use them way more than I thought I would. Probably one of my favorite options on the truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Best to understand the distinction between a GN adapter and a gooseneck pinbox like a Goosebox or Gen-Y.

Too many also incorrectly use the term "Pinbox" to describe the mounting wing plates and that "box" section that are welded to the frame.

Pinbox: https://www.lci1.com/rv-pin-boxes

862513_a.jpg

Gooseneck adapter: (i.e. giant lever used to rip apart a pinbox or pinbox wing mounts and RV frame)

81VIclGBaGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wing Plates:

1708577572898.png

Using a GN adapter most often tears the wingplate/frame area apart. They are hot garbage as is the AUH.

Had a buddy using one for a while against my advice. In his particular case, it tore the kingpin plate from the pinbox by the leverage it exerted on that component..

Proper Goosebox:
1708577121238.png

Or Gen-Y

1708577171137.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread