Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box? Yay or Nay

techman

Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I went with Ram! My Chevy Avalanche has something similar to them, albeit much smaller. You find yourself using these saddlebags for just about everything. The bed of your truck stays nice and clean until you need it for the bigger items. Plus you can fill them with ice for those tailgating parties!

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I have the ram boxes and use them daily. It's surprising how much those boxes hold.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
I went back-and-forth on to get the ram box or not on my new pick up. I chose to go with the Ram box and I got a say it is amazing. No regrets at all. The storage is great and the bed is cleaner looking. And I love the bed divider that allows you to hold items in place. My biggest concern was when I add an aftermarket fifth wheel but then I saw there are products to allow it. Only downfall is no in bed fifth wheel / gooseneck wiring but that can be added aftermarket.
I too was weary, and decided to get them after i found these videos, they key for full flexibility and usability from my perspective.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
Got your 8 footer right here.

View attachment 38470
Holy crap I didn't even realize they did that! Very glad I ordered the Ramboxes and cargo management group! Can't wait for it to arrive. I also might want a fifth wheel someday, and I made sure it is possible, but as someone else mentioned I'll worry about it when the time comes because I have no immediate need.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
Holy crap I didn't even realize they did that! Very glad I ordered the Ramboxes and cargo management group! Can't wait for it to arrive. I also might want a fifth wheel someday, and I made sure it is possible, but as someone else mentioned I'll worry about it when the time comes because I have no immediate need.
i have heard that not all years come with the adapters for the divider to do that on the bed, they can be purchased and installed.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
..useless with a topper, so useless for me. Anyway, I see a ton of them looking all jacked up out here where it’s very hot.
They are cool as heck, though. I wish they could work with a shell somehow.

Last edited:

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
..useless with a topper, so useless for me. Anyway, I see a ton of them looking all jacked up out here where it’s very hot.
They are cool as heck, though. I wish they could work with a shell somehow.
It’s surprising to me after all these years RAM hasn’t decided to have them open from the side of the fender instead of the top. Would be great to have that kind of extra storage and access while using a topper too. Can’t be too difficult to reengineer….

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Depends what you are doing with the box i guess for me thats a no go for most things plug gravel really eats up tailgate paint

Also when loaded with the 5th wheel i have so much room for other things. At the back of the box where you cant see is 3 5 gal cans of fuel and 2 30 lbs tanks of propane plus i added a bunch more fire wood after i took the picture lol
Yeah, your needs are different than mine. I needed the megacab, so the bedsize wasn't an option.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
It’s surprising to me after all these years RAM hasn’t decided to have them open from the side of the fender instead of the top. Would be great to have that kind of extra storage and access while using a topper too. Can’t be too difficult to reengineer….

Would be more of a cubby than a bin if they did…would still dig it and use em’, pay extra for it.

bucksummitt

Reaction score
New to the group, this thread is just what i needed to read. Waiting to pull trigger, but hard to find in my area. Local dealer deleted the Rambox on a beautiful 2500 Limited Megacab, that otherwise would be perfect. Then they just keep telling me that i would lose bed space. I get it, but i would like some order somewhere when im travelling. Thanks to all for responding.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I really wanted a Ram Box, and I really wanted one on a Power Wagon. As I really contemplated use and features, mods and capacities I decided about 6 months ago that a Big Horn was what really made more sense. So that is what put me on the hunt for a Silver Big Horn, which I finally found one I liked.

I hunt, so bed room is a thing. I've had 3 Elk in the back of a half ton (yeah, I was a bit over) and I wanted to be able to put an Elk in the bed and tow a trailer with this truck. A locking bed cover makes sense for me on normal trailer towing trips. A gas generator and a spare propane tank in the bed, but want to have room for other things if needed. I've got a solution formulating for tire chains and a shovel holder in this truck that will work for me and is more versatile with the entire bed space. As for the PW, I figure that the Big Horn is much more capable than the 1500s I have had over the years, and I don't plan on rock crawling, so it was more of a want than a need.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
While I like my rambox it does limit cargo area for bulking items like hay, firewood and furniture ect. It is great for keeping things locked up. However, if truck shopping I don't know if I would not get a truck without the rambox if it had all the other options you wanted.

I wanted 4.10 gears with the 6.4 and I happened on a truck with both 4.10 gears and the rambox, so I got it.

I do think it is telling that no other manufactures have developed their own version of the rambox in all these years, vs say the upgraded tailgates that all but Ford have now.

Razzman

Reaction score
So here's my experience with Ramboxes, let me say I love them for convenience as we store a bunch of small stuff in there (air compressor, emergency gear, Ryobi batteries, etc). That said I've had nothing but trouble with mine: Left side actuator replaced three times, rods on right side done two times, complete right side Rambox replacement top to bottom, skin came loose on right side after replacement and now waiting on a complete replacement on the left side. Hopefully this will resolve the issues.

bucksummitt

Reaction score
Thanks for replies , scout -good point on few copies, and it seems like they have very much limited the models they will offer it on. razzman- that would be frustrating. The convenience seems awesome, but ugh, that doesn't seem convenient.

TexasDodger

Reaction score
Got your 8 footer right here.

View attachment 38470
The new trucks don’t come with the posts for turning the divider into a bed extension. But the posts are available on Amazon. I heard the NTSB made Ram stop including them because it obscures one of the taillights from an angle. It is the best mod I think I have done considering it only cost around $20.

kevin588127

Reaction score
After a year and a half with them, I find them way more useful than I thought I would. My truck gets used as a tow machine primarily. From April to late Sept we spent 18 weekends at an MX track or out in the woods camping, always pulling the toy hauler. The entire bed was filled with tool boxes, totes with parts and fluids, gas cans, ECT. The ram boxes held some of the more expensive or most used stuff so it was easily accessible. The truck stayed loaded and ready to go all season. Coming back from a race weekend, we just had to unload bikes and cloths from the camper. The following week, load bikes and cloths and we were on our way.

As far as negatives go, we are still happy with our bumper toy hauler so not worried about a 5th wheel. It does bum me out to think of potentially having to get rid of this truck if that needs ever arises. My boxes have had no issues but I could see how it would be frustrating if they did.

The ramboxes are one of my top 3 favorite things that I optioned for on this truck. The digital rearview mirror is still my favorite. Rubber floors are right up there too.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I keep all the strap/bungees, tools, tarps, etc. in one and try to keep the driver side empty....because, you know.....groceries. I figure with the size of one rambox, I can fit at least $500 worth of groceries in there...aka 1-week's worth.

Grey

Reaction score
Ram box is one of my main must haves, my last two have them. They work great, I keep all my electrical tools, drill kits etc in the driver side, flares, emergency equipment on the passenger. Life savers on your back, flip the lid and its there. I wouldnt buy one without them. You can skip that ice chest mess, no insulation value, you end up with a wet mess. You'll do better with a simple cooler or fridge. Tool use fantastic.

One funny thing, is they have emergency pull releases inside. I'm not sure where you will find anyone who could possibly get inside. But they are there. I unhook them, I can see a remote chance of a tool sliding and catching the handle just right. pop open doing 70. I dont need that mess. I am quite sure I will never get myself locked in the ram box. Plus some slick willy type, could in theory slip a slim jim up and grab that handle. Pop open. Cut the picks off, wont be the first code any of you have broken, wont be the last.

bucksummitt

Reaction score
After a year and a half with them, I find them way more useful than I thought I would. My truck gets used as a tow machine primarily. From April to late Sept we spent 18 weekends at an MX track or out in the woods camping, always pulling the toy hauler. The entire bed was filled with tool boxes, totes with parts and fluids, gas cans, ECT. The ram boxes held some of the more expensive or most used stuff so it was easily accessible. The truck stayed loaded and ready to go all season. Coming back from a race weekend, we just had to unload bikes and cloths from the camper. The following week, load bikes and cloths and we were on our way.

As far as negatives go, we are still happy with our bumper toy hauler so not worried about a 5th wheel. It does bum me out to think of potentially having to get rid of this truck if that needs ever arises. My boxes have had no issues but I could see how it would be frustrating if they did.

The ramboxes are one of my top 3 favorite things that I optioned for on this truck. The digital rearview mirror is still my favorite. Rubber floors are right up there too.
I did see a thread in here that you can do a 5th wheel with a special hitch, we're still a pull unit, my thought is that when trailer is hooked up the ramboxes would be super useful, as well as everyday stuff.

Razzman

Reaction score
One funny thing, is they have emergency pull releases inside. I'm not sure where you will find anyone who could possibly get inside. But they are there.
Because at some point some idiot did it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread