Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 ram 2500 headache of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

av42083

Reaction score
In 2021 I bought my ram 2500 had problems since day one. Started with when coming to a stop truck would start rough idle and surging while at a stop light with foot on brake and would often just off when rough idle would happen. Had computer changed still does it to this day took to dealer several times. Then I started hearing a grinding noise and noise would change when turning steering wheel and sometimes it would just randomly just stop making the noise. They said they couldn’t find a problem. At 43000 miles my truck wouldn’t start jumped it and worked for a week then again. After that had to jump every time so got a new battery. After installing new battery a few weeks later dead again. So tested battery it was good. Pulled out starter power supply nut was hand tight so fixed that figured dealer knew as much as I did. Now I have a rough idle and ticking after it warms up

js4024

Reaction score
Shoulda bought the diesel. The 6.4L MDS was a design "improvement" over the 6.2L. The engine is a CAR engine. It has MDS which is just asking for valve train issues. The MDS engine that was put into 5.7, 6.2, and now a 6.4 liter truck engine DOES NOT WORK!! It tears up the camshafts and the roller bearings on the lifters. trooper cars are losing their cam shafts at 45,000 miles. They use cheap mexican parts! If you think its ticking now... Just wait until the roller bearings fail and it flattens out your cam shaft. Be prepared for a 5,000.00 repair bill.... GET A DIESEL......

whitexc

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Sent from me

jsalbre

Reaction score
Shoulda bought the diesel. The 6.4L MDS was a design "improvement" over the 6.2L. The engine is a CAR engine. It has MDS which is just asking for valve train issues. The MDS engine that was put into 5.7, 6.2, and now a 6.4 liter truck engine DOES NOT WORK!! It tears up the camshafts and the roller bearings on the lifters. trooper cars are losing their cam shafts at 45,000 miles. They use cheap mexican parts! If you think its ticking now... Just wait until the roller bearings fail and it flattens out your cam shaft. Be prepared for a 5,000.00 repair bill.... GET A DIESEL......
You know the 6.4 in the Ram is not the same 6.4 that was used in the cars, right?

js4024

Reaction score
You know the 6.4 in the Ram is not the same 6.4 that was used in the cars, right?
I had one, piss poor mileage and MDS issues. A real dog when pulling a 15k lb trailer. If you want problems buy the gasser. If you get on here and whine about the issues you have with your 6.4 or if you ask for an open forum opinion you get what you get. Most people today can’t spring for the extra 9500.00 for the Cummins. But then don’t come on here and whine about the “issues” that people run into with an under powered gasser and trying to make it more than it was designed to be. And I am aware of the difference between the car engine and the 6.4l truck engine. The improvements are not enough (with the MDS system). Had they not added the MDS it would have been a better motor. Many on here delete the MDS function to save the valve train. I believe running in tow haul defeats it.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I had one, piss poor mileage and MDS issues. A real dog when pulling a 15k lb trailer. If you want problems buy the gasser. If you get on here and whine about the issues you have with your 6.4 or if you ask for an open forum opinion you get what you get. Most people today can’t spring for the extra 9500.00 for the Cummins. But then don’t come on here and whine about the “issues” that people run into with an under powered gasser and trying to make it more than it was designed to be. And I am aware of the difference between the car engine and the 6.4l truck engine. The improvements are not enough (with the MDS system). Had they not added the MDS it would have been a better motor. Many on here delete the MDS function to save the valve train. I believe running in tow haul defeats it.
You had a $5000 repair bill…did it break your bank?
Buying a gas truck to pull 15k, ha.

Darkside

Reaction score
Hate to say it but honestly it seems the Cummins guys are actually having more issues than the Hemi trucks, so you can keep your diesel… both engines have their own problems, just with the Cummins you also have the trans to consider…..

js4024

Reaction score
Hate to say it but honestly it seems the Cummins guys are actually having more issues than the Hemi trucks, so you can keep your diesel… both engines have their own problems, just with the Cummins you also have the trans to consider…..

whitexc

Reaction score
This will inevitably turn into a pissing match. One which we don’t need here.

To your point about many of us not being able to pony up the coin for the diesel…..likely not the case for most gasser buyers. It is preference and need. I don’t need a diesel. I sold one to order my gasser. I didn’t need that one either. I wanted it at the time and it served me well. My gasser serves me well.

Sent from me

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What does the MDS have to do with that it just shuts the fuel off and collapses the lifters it does not really cause any cam issues thats an oiling issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The discussion in this thread so far has served no purpose other than to incite rude discourse. Thread closed.

OP, if you are looking for advice, please start a thread with a specific question. A rant with no clear request for help is just trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread