Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chase light with rambox and bed cover

Alligator John

Reaction score
One of the fabricators on the forum, how about designing us some brackets that use the bolt hole where this bolt is between the bed and cab? I spent the weekend closing wire gates in the dark behind my power wagon. I need lights on a switch back there. I would rather have some chase lights up high, but may have to settle on some flush mount pods in the bumper. Seems like that body bolt would be a great place for a simple 90 degree ditch light bracket.

1000002262.jpg

Mikerob14

Reaction score
I second this! Actually, what I really want is some sort of bracket that I can mount these lights on and move them from one side of the Rambox to the other, so I can use the light in the bed or move it to the outside and use it as a work light beside the truck.

I am highly interested if someone creates this! I also would not mind drilling a second hole since the bracket would be longer to move the lights for stability.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Maybe this EAG antenna mount could be altered to use there with those lights. Would have to get the dimensions of the light base and eag mounting surface to compare. They make a right and left bracket. It would be impossible to drill between the bed and cab, but for the one present bolt hole there is room to place a backing plate behind it. Use a strong hex head bolt and nut to sandwich the bracket with a pad of double side 3M foam tape. Just thinking out loud here.

1000002475.jpg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Check my build thread.
I put Baja design work lights in the bumper using a spacer from SDHQ to fit the contour of the bumper.
Not sure if they are selling the spacer yet as I got the prototype to try out. Lights work great.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Thanks, but yea there are lots of flush mount pod options I could mount into the bumper. I could easily do that, but I would rather have them up high. And without cutting anything or drilling any new holes if possible.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Lights on the truck are handy for sure! I have them where I need them.

in your post you mentioned messing with gates to property. Nothin beats a headlamp for working with your hands at night IMHO.
Plus, when you turn around to go back to the truck you aren't blinded by your own lights that are mounted on the truck.

Alligator John

Reaction score
I second this! Actually, what I really want is some sort of bracket that I can mount these lights on and move them from one side of the Rambox to the other, so I can use the light in the bed or move it to the outside and use it as a work light beside the truck.

I am highly interested if someone creates this! I also would not mind drilling a second hole since the bracket would be longer to move the lights for stability.

Being able to turn the light to the side as a work light would have been very useful during my hunting road trips and camping in the power wagon this season, so I did go with the swivel mount light you linked to. Thanks for the idea. I am making my own bracket. If I decide I don't like them, they will go on my boat but I think they will work out pretty good with a bracket idea I'm working on. I am shooting for a similar finish and rounded edges as the SDHQ mounts I used for ditch lights. I'm still bird hunting so may be a while, but I will post it up with pictures in the what did I do to my ram thread when I get around to the final install.

JustMeAndMy3500

Reaction score

Not sponsoring or have affiliation. I've order a bracket for another application. Just sending you in a direction that may help.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
Yeah I like it. But not quite what I’m looking for. With a Rambox having a mount like that will limit where you get light. I’d like something that I could maybe move side to side a couple of inches. Maybe alligator will use it.

ehubbard

Reaction score
If someone wants to design this I'm happy to print it. I'm looking for something that would rotate as well and allow ram boxes.

GODZ_MFG

Reaction score
One of the fabricators on the forum, how about designing us some brackets that use the bolt hole where this bolt is between the bed and cab? I spent the weekend closing wire gates in the dark behind my power wagon. I need lights on a switch back there. I would rather have some chase lights up high, but may have to settle on some flush mount pods in the bumper. Seems like that body bolt would be a great place for a simple 90 degree ditch light bracket.

View attachment 68533

It's possible, and we could certainly help, however that bolt is fairly long so I think you would be hard pressed to get it out with a Torx bit on it, even something low profile probably wouldn't fit by the time you get the bolt mostly backed out.

GODZ_MFG

Reaction score
It's possible, and we could certainly help, however that bolt is fairly long so I think you would be hard pressed to get it out with a Torx bit on it, even something low profile probably wouldn't fit by the time you get the bolt mostly backed out.

Now, that being said, you could slot the bracket and slide it under the bolt/washer. I think we could help you out.

GODZ_MFG

Reaction score
Like this.....

1707777889293.png

We'll do it, just ask and we'll wave the wand. This would be a spin off of our Chase Light/Antenna Bracket which is made of .125" Stainless Steel and Powder Coated Black.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
Alright I’ll bite. Any way to make that mount long on the top (and also slotted on the top) so I’d be able to slide a light (referenced above) from side to side? Maybe 3 or 4 inches wide? I think that would give enough clearance plus the ability to rotate the light. Also, I could be wrong, but wouldn’t the bracket design need to be reversed since the mount would then be on the outside of the bed? Thanks for taking the initiative on the project.

Users who are viewing this thread