Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SO vs HO - power difference that noticeable?

SpeyRam

Reaction score
Just a general question here and I know it's been asked before. How noticeable is the power difference between a current (19-current) HO 6.7 vs an SO? I know the transmissions aren't the same between the trims and power is delivered at a different gear/rpm for the 2 etc but just curious really from the "butt-o-meter" dyno! I have more than enough power with my SO for my towing needs so just wanted to hear some comments. I had a chance at buying a 21' HO a while back (never test-drove) but opted for a slightly cheaper and better-equipped SO 3500.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I own an HO and tow almost daily, a 22 mega. Mine was in the shop for two weeks for some body work, a guy hit me while it was parked. I rented a SO 3500. Here’s my take.

Empty the SO has much better get up and go. No contest. While towing with tow mode on I was surprised at how the tranny would shift so early in the game. At 40 mph it would let it drop into 4th and do 1000rpm. The rental was a 23 so tuning is probably the cause, but still. This is stock vs stock. I didn’t get a chance to pull more than 10k with it, but pulled 5k daily and had near 10k on it a couple times in those weeks.

The HO is sluggish from the start empty. Once the TC locks in at second gear it grabs ass pretty good. Towing up to 10k my HO doesn’t feel it. Really, I forget 5k is on it all the time. At 10k plus my HO is a dream. The truck was meant to tow.

My advice: if you only tow once per month or less and it’s under 15k, get the SO. She’ll keep you smiling when she’s empty, and work hard for you when you need it.
If you tow more frequently, heavier than 15k, or any amount daily….the HO is a worth while upgrade.

Fuel mileage between the two was negligible. Might as well not be a discussion. I saw similar enough numbers (within .5mpg) that it’s not a point. Maybe someone who drives with them more empty has a different experience.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
I own an HO and tow almost daily, a 22 mega. Mine was in the shop for two weeks for some body work, a guy hit me while it was parked. I rented a SO 3500. Here’s my take.

Empty the SO has much better get up and go. No contest. While towing with tow mode on I was surprised at how the tranny would shift so early in the game. At 40 mph it would let it drop into 4th and do 1000rpm. The rental was a 23 so tuning is probably the cause, but still. This is stock vs stock. I didn’t get a chance to pull more than 10k with it, but pulled 5k daily and had near 10k on it a couple times in those weeks.

The HO is sluggish from the start empty. Once the TC locks in at second gear it grabs ass pretty good. Towing up to 10k my HO doesn’t feel it. Really, I forget 5k is on it all the time. At 10k plus my HO is a dream. The truck was meant to tow.

My advice: if you only tow once per month or less and it’s under 15k, get the SO. She’ll keep you smiling when she’s empty, and work hard for you when you need it.
If you tow more frequently, heavier than 15k, or any amount daily….the HO is a worth while upgrade.

Fuel mileage between the two was negligible. Might as well not be a discussion. I saw similar enough numbers (within .5mpg) that it’s not a point. Maybe someone who drives with them more empty has a different experience.
Thanks. I definitely tow under 15k for now and will for a while and that was why i made the decision to get an SO... but you know how it goes sometimes when curiosity strikes on bigger/better/faster etc....

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Thanks. I definitely tow under 15k for now and will for a while and that was why i made the decision to get an SO... but you know how it goes sometimes when curiosity strikes on bigger/better/faster etc....
For sure. There’s not one that’s better or faster… they’re both just…different.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pulling 16K and was a bit on the fence, but had a bad taste re: xxRxE trans and pull mostly in the western terrain, so opted for the HO.

I'd mirror the sentiment that if you're pulling less than 15K or 16K and/or you don't have big mountains to deal with, the SO is a good choice and if you do decide to tune. the 68RFE is tunable as opposed to the Aisin. I also wasn't eager to do any tuning during warranty, so that also factored.

@Ionicbrick is right, the HO hooks up and pulls hard once you hit 2nd gear lockup.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
I am definitely in the mountains quite a bit out here in the PacNW. Couple sketchy mountain passes any time of year that are interesting on the descent with a camper and boat behind you!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not apples to apples on your question, but the power increase from my HO ‘18 to my HO ‘22 was substantially more than I anticipated for a 35/145 increase… I’m sure some of it is the 3.73’s but the ‘22 is noticeably more powerful.

Assuming the same axle ratio’s the HO has the gearing advantage in 1st and 2nd, and the SO has the advantage in 3rd and 5th. 4th and 6th are the same in both transmissions.

tchur1

Reaction score
I was in a similar spot when deciding whether to order SO or HO. I ended up going HO because I live in Lake Tahoe and am towing ~10k over/through the mountains 3-4 times a week all summer with our boat. Unloaded its quite sluggish up through 2nd until the TC locks like others have mentioned, once the TC locks though it pulls really hard. When I have the boat hooked up its easy to forget im towing anything. The power is effortless.

I test drove the SO a few times before deciding to order and it definitely feels quicker unloaded, shifts a bit smoother in 1-2nd but I cant speak to the towing experience with that powertrain.

reelman65

Reaction score

I owned a 22 mega HO, just traded for 24 rebel SO, I agree 100% with all points

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Couldn't disagree more. MPG on the HO is measurably worse by a few MPG. This is pretty well documented on this site.

Also, my 2021 HO DRW, heavy ass pig of a truck would mop the floor with my 2016 SO 2500 SRW. Loaded or unloaded. Not even a contest.

Users who are viewing this thread