Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Hemi options for 2023 Ram 2500 Limited Longhorn or Limited?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Albeit less aesthetically pleasing, RamBoxes are very practical....might want them with your steps too.....oh and ROUND wheel wells!
I was ambivalent about Ram Boxes until they came on the 2021 1500 BTS I got. We LOVED them... I then got a 2500 Laramie last March without them and miss them... And now after research I am finding quite a few people towing fifth wheels with them and there is one beckoning to me but I am showing great restraint. But it is likely the last of the 6.4's Limited Longhorns with the Ramboxes, mega cab, air suspension sunroof that will ever be...

mkmsr

Reaction score
I was ambivalent about Ram Boxes until they came on the 2021 1500 BTS I got. We LOVED them... I then got a 2500 Laramie last March without them and miss them... And now after research I am finding quite a few people towing fifth wheels with them and there is one beckoning to me but I am showing great restraint. But it is likely the last of the 6.4's Limited Longhorns with the Ramboxes, mega cab, air suspension sunroof that will ever be...
The deciding factor to not get them for me was the amount of them I see misaligned, it just draws my eyes to the bad lines when they are not perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
The deciding factor to not get them for me was the amount of them I see misaligned, it just draws my eyes to the bad lines when they are not perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Yep, I can't disagree with you on that... That's why I don't order but look closely as I peruse Car Gurus... AND, I do see ones obviously misaligned in the pics... My 2021 1500 were perfect, but not all of them are...

ClawSS

Reaction score
Yep, I can't disagree with you on that... That's why I don't order but look closely as I peruse Car Gurus... AND, I do see ones obviously misaligned in the pics... My 2021 1500 were perfect, but not all of them are...
I think that the 1500s are better applied than the 2500s. 5th gen bed vs. the 4/4.5 gen bed-sides....I assume.

Knock on wood-mine aren't that bad (only 1yr old) given a less than hot KY summer. The truck does sit outside all the time.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
It's about time the 6.4 was put out to pasture. Ran needs to up it's gasser game. Go drive a 7.3 gasser and tell me I'm wrong. More power, quieter and better mpg.
Okay. Pulling a skid steer with my 6.4 butte to Helena for the weekend netted me 8.8 mpg. Same route with my work truck (7.3) netted me 5.8. Exact same trailer.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Okay. Pulling a skid steer with my 6.4 butte to Helena for the weekend netted me 8.8 mpg. Same route with my work truck (7.3) netted me 5.8. Exact same trailer.
Ding Ding Ding... I live halfway between Helena and Clancy. I know that drive well. I got my 7K loaded travel trailer in Butte. That is a great drive for assessing MPG. For those of you that don't know, from Butte in a couple miles you go straight up to the top of "hill" from 5500 feet to about 6500 feet in three miles Then you cross a big "park" for miles and then into a windy, curvy valley (stream cut) with turns rated as low as 35 mph in a couple of places, then a short flat run, then to a small pass (Boulder Hill) and then pretty much a downhill run to Helena... I believe it is rated as a "scenic drive" in some publications...

I have been pleasantly surprised by my mileage on my 2500 Hemi doing about the same as you, close to 9 mpg, likely lighter load. You always gotta watch that predictable "wind gust" place as you go down the hill from Boulder Hill to Boulder... There's one place that always lets you know the relationship between your trailer and your tow vehicle and who controls whom... My 1500's with travel trailer always got blown around at that one spot, not so much for the 2500, much better planted compared to a 2021 1500... More than enough oomph for my needs. YMMV

Polo08816

Reaction score
It seems like the 2023 Ram 3500 Build and Price configurator allows you to configure a 3500 Limited with a 6.4 Hemi gas engine now. Did Ram reverse their decision on diesel only for higher trims?

ClawSS

Reaction score
Well there ya go. Thanks for that. Maybe that pushes back into the use cases and the larger load capability. I have no idea.

Polo08816

Reaction score
Well there ya go. Thanks for that. Maybe that pushes back into the use cases and the larger load capability. I have no idea.

So one thing that is odd about that configurator which makes me think this is an error... the interior pictures and options reflect a smaller screen which I didn't think would be the case for a Limited trim.

superjoe83

Reaction score
So one thing that is odd about that configurator which makes me think this is an error... the interior pictures and options reflect a smaller screen which I didn't think would be the case for a Limited trim.
I've seen some '23 limiteds with the 8.4 screen, so it's possible

tchur1

Reaction score
23 limiteds come with the 8.4 this year unless you get the level 1 package. You can’t select the 12” standalone like you could last year.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like maybe they brought it back on the Limited and Laramie. Still not available to select on Longhorn.

I don't know if prior years had a lower GVWR on the Hemi, but the current Hemi equip shows 11,400 (900 less than Cummins) on the SRW.

Polo08816

Reaction score
23 limiteds come with the 8.4 this year unless you get the level 1 package. You can’t select the 12” standalone like you could last year.

I'll tell you what, I'm kinda shocked at the MSRP. It's higher than a 2023 Super Duty Platinum with the 7.3 gas.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I'm kinda shocked at the MSRP. It's higher than a 2023 Super Duty Platinum with the 7.3 gas.
Yes but if you buy a 7.3 you get to have the lifters and cam changed every 30k miles…. Not to mention it looks like they are trying to compete with GM for the ugliest looking truck.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Reaction score
Yes but if you buy a 7.3 you get to have the lifters and cam changed every 30k miles…. Not to mention it looks like they are trying to compete with GM for the ugliest looking truck.

I've seen those threads on the Super Duty forums and I'm hoping that these issues are due to sub-par components that OEMs took the risk on during the pandemic years. I don't think these are affecting just Ford.

As far as aesthetics, I think they are all similar in that none of them look so horrendous that I would not purchase one.

Either way, I'm going to wait to Q4 2023 to Q2 2024 so all the OEMs can work out their supply issues.

Users who are viewing this thread