Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by 2manyprojects

1. 2manyprojects

Towing on 37s

Sowa, glad to hear you've got things working with the WDH and suspension adjustments. FWIW, comparing your numbers to mine, I see a 440 lb decrease in front axle weight with my fully loaded 8300 lb trailer (tanks full, 66 gal H2O), 1140 lb tongue wt. Your HQ21 is 720 lb heavier, but 120 lb...
  2. 2manyprojects

Towing on 37s

DOH! Didn't realize you have the Carli Dominator installed... Do you have the R2 rear springs at least? I suspect that you're under-sprung and damped; have you considered the airbag system they offer? Black Series caravans are heavy for their size, and generally tongue heavy, so they tax the...
  3. 2manyprojects

Suspension set up for towing

Without being too redundant here, I'd suggest a Thuren torsion front sway bar, and a set of aftermarket shocks like Bilstein or Fox. Of the suspension mods I've done to my truck, the torsion sway was immediately noticeable and substantially improved the front compliance on road. It's basically...
  4. 2manyprojects

Towing on 37s

FWIW, take your loaded rig over some scales and find out what your actual weight distribution is. I use the CAT Scale app on my phone and it's like $12.50 to get weights for front and rear axles, and the trailer. With this you can establish what your tongue weight and specific loads are. I...
  5. 2manyprojects

Towing on 37s

I've towed my B/S HQ19 over 10K miles with 37's and no issues at all. I'd be surprised if your HQ21 is "tail heavy", as their design usually makes them nose heavy. I've run my rig w/trailer over scales multiple times now, and have about 1k lbs. tongue weight for the 8k lbs. loaded trailer.
  6. 2manyprojects

AEV suspension discussion thread

It's interesting to go back and read each vendor's (AEV, Thuren, Carli) descriptions and tech info for their kits, in the context of fitting 37" tires. AEV created their product specifically for 37's (and 40's); Thuren and Carli give good explanations of the issues going up to that size and...
  7. 2manyprojects

I think the "benefit" of the AEV kit is providing a more comprehensive (but complicated) correction to all the geometry issues that come with lifting 3". Thuren/ Carli both acknowledge when the front is lifted beyond 2.75", you lose the ability to maintain front axle geometry forcing the...
  8. 2manyprojects

Titan 30gal Aux Spare Tank

I struggled w/ the fill port placement, as mentioned in my write-up. What I considered real hard, but couldn't follow through on was to recess it like main tank using this clip: Rear Fender Panel Figured I could use the fuel port portion and basically cut the hole and bond this piece to the...
  9. 2manyprojects

INSTALL DETAILS / MODS (Full instructions can be downloaded from the website linked in the 1st post) I was able to do most of the install in my driveway alone. The tank is awkward but light (<50lbs). It helped to remove the rear bumper and left rear fender liner. The plumbing is...
  10. 2manyprojects

Titan 30 gal aux spare fuel tank I’ve rec’d multiple inquiries and didn’t see much info on our forums for this tank since I installed it a year ago, so I thought I’d provide some details and my experiences. I performed the basic tank install April 2021 w/ 2900 mi on my truck, with about 20K...
  11. 2manyprojects

That's fair, it took me quite a bit of time to warm up to it. I may be the only person on earth that isn't smitten with AEVs front and rear bumpers.
  12. 2manyprojects

Amen! Try going from 245/70/17s @ 80psi training wheels my truck came with, to 37/12.50/17's @ 46/48 psi ... :oops:
  13. 2manyprojects

I'm way too cynical to be a fanboy of anything, so I hope I don't come across as one for AEV. :cool: I'm just glad this discussion hasn't decayed to fanboys vs. AEV haters... My point with challenging you on the "better performance" is that it's often in the eyes of the beholder. When I was...
  14. 2manyprojects

Lumpskie, very well "articulated".... :D Curious whether you considered adding a torsion front sway to your Prospector? I worked with Thuren to fit one on my truck, and immediately noticed more compliance without adding any noticeable lean during cornering. Also, I have considered adding the...
  15. 2manyprojects

I'm generally not a fan of spacers either. On wheels, people don't realize the forces they exert on the wheel hub, lugs, and bearings. They're generally cheap, generic add-ons that don't provide any performance benefit except providing some lift. I put body lifts in that category generally...