Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ft/Lbs for Lugnuts on a 2020 Ram Factory Wheel?

1FstGPa

Reaction score
I did some net searches for this and came up with 130 ft/lbs for cone nuts and 140 ft/lbs for flanged nuts.

Now my story and I'll try to keep this short...

Yesterday, I thought I would inspect the cone lug nuts under the caps and verify torque before we headed out the door for our road trip. So I grabbed my trusty clicker torque wrench, a 4" extension and the appropriate socket. I set the torque wrench to 130 ft/lbs and begun the task of checking the torque. The first go around on the 8 lugs showed no sign of socket movement before the wrench "clicked". Personally, I like to see a little movement to proof the setting. So, I set the torque wrench to 140 ft/lbs to test that setting. Again, no socket movement. From here I didn't go higher, but this has me concerned. I am assuming the wheels were installed at the factory without r&r somewhere down the line. I am also assuming my wrench is correct and that the 4" extension has little to no effect on the value of the setting.

Needless to say, I know this is an issue since over tightening the lug nuts can lead to warped rotors.

So, what am I missing here? Should I re-torque to the correct spec if I know what I know or leave it and give it a white collar - the factory knows what they're doing - approach???

406Linetrash

Reaction score
You'll be fine. It should take a pretty serious overage to warp. Mine were at 155 from the factory. I only know cause I switched to new wheels. No warping

pdavey

Reaction score
140 is what mine are at

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1FstGPa

Reaction score
When I had my 1500, I know this topic was a concern. Seems that exceeding the torque specs on the 1500 would, in fact, cause the rotor to warp.

I thought I would bring this to the table here as well.

Appreciate the answers!!!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
When I had my 1500, I know this topic was a concern. Seems that exceeding the torque specs on the 1500 would, in fact, cause the rotor to warp.

I wouldn’t believe that until I see it. Don’t believe all the internet lore

As far as over torquing severely, I would be more worried about stretching the lug stud threads so they no longer hold torque correctly or weakening the lug stud or breaking it. But not the brake rotor.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

I have my doubts on that as most shops just use the impact no checking tq so the majority of 1500s would end up with warped rotors if that the case besides even over tq they are still sitting an a perfectly flat hub surface no way they could warp from wheel tq.... the wheels from factory are over tq a bit so people dont loose their wheels from not rechecking the tq after 60miles

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Then you're probably not over TQing your lugs as much as people that use anti seize....

...I'm now going to unwatch this thread hoping it will now go on for at least 50 more posts. :)
I was a licensed mechanic for years aswell as a certified otr/ earthmover tire tech idk how many times during the courses they went over where not to use anti seize kind of exhausting lol

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
I did some net searches for this and came up with 130 ft/lbs for cone nuts and 140 ft/lbs for flanged nuts.

Now my story and I'll try to keep this short...

Yesterday, I thought I would inspect the cone lug nuts under the caps and verify torque before we headed out the door for our road trip. So I grabbed my trusty clicker torque wrench, a 4" extension and the appropriate socket. I set the torque wrench to 130 ft/lbs and begun the task of checking the torque. The first go around on the 8 lugs showed no sign of socket movement before the wrench "clicked". Personally, I like to see a little movement to proof the setting. So, I set the torque wrench to 140 ft/lbs to test that setting. Again, no socket movement. From here I didn't go higher, but this has me concerned. I am assuming the wheels were installed at the factory without r&r somewhere down the line. I am also assuming my wrench is correct and that the 4" extension has little to no effect on the value of the setting.

Needless to say, I know this is an issue since over tightening the lug nuts can lead to warped rotors.

So, what am I missing here? Should I re-torque to the correct spec if I know what I know or leave it and give it a white collar - the factory knows what they're doing - approach???
FCA Recall # Y26

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
Torque specification information included in vehicle Service and Owner's Manuals may cause flanged lug nuts to be torqued to a level that may cause the wheel stud to yield and eventually break during vehicle operation. A yielded wheel stud may eventually break, which could lead to a wheel separating from the vehicle during operation. A wheel separating from the vehicle could cause a vehicle crash without prior warning and/or the wheel/tire could pose a risk to other veh
Repair Description
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to inspect the wheel studs (Y26 only) and update the torque specification in owner's information and published service documents. Vehicles found with studs that are potentially yielded will have a new stud installed and the lug nuts tightened to the updated torque specification.
Recall Status
Incomplete but repair parts are not available

May 27, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V398000
Wheel Studs May Break
Wheel separation can cause a vehicle crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V398000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)
Components WHEELS
Potential Number of Units Affected 447,985
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2012-2021 RAM 3500, 3500 Cab Chassis, 4500 Cab Chassis, and 5500 Cab Chassis vehicles. Incorrect information in the Service and Owner's Manuals may cause the flanged lug nuts to be over-tightened, which could result in a broken wheel stud and possible wheel separation.
Remedy
Dealers will update the torque specification in the owner's manual and other published service documents. Dealers will also inspect the vehicle's wheel studs, replacing them if necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 16, 2021. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US's numbers for this recall are Y26 and Y36.

Vehicles​

MAKEMODELYEAR
RAM35002012-2021
RAM45002012-2021
RAM55002012-2021

MikeXM

Reaction score
So what are the correct specs for flanged nuts if its not 140ft/lbs?
Is it me or is that weird that it's not mentioned?... like only the dealer can check that???

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I have my doubts on that as most shops just use the impact no checking tq so the majority of 1500s would end up with warped rotors if that the case besides even over tq they are still sitting an a perfectly flat hub surface no way they could warp from wheel tq.... the wheels from factory are over tq a bit so people dont loose their wheels from not rechecking the tq after 60miles
The tire shops I use all use impact guns with the torque socket. Torque sockets can also fail.

Users who are viewing this thread