Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen or 4.5 Gen?

Ruffone

Reaction score
Question for everyone, when I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 HD I was told it was a Gen 5 by the dealer. Why are the new HD trucks on this site referred to as Gen 4.5’s? Just curious.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Question for everyone, when I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 HD I was told it was a Gen 5 by the dealer. Why are the new HD trucks on this site referred to as Gen 4.5’s? Just curious.
Cause its not a 5th gen. It utilizes most of the 4th gen with newer updated front ends interior and taillights. The 1500 is a 5th gen as they share nothing with the 4th gen.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
@Ruffone, there's a ton of info on what changed post "4th gen". there were quite a lot in changes.
not so much the cab, which do have changes, but the frame, engine, axles, etc.. all have major
updates.

you'll get a ton of various opinion on 4.5 or 5th gen :)

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
It is still designated as a 4th gen. The HD is still DJ (I got to check in this, i am having a middle age moment)

The 4th gen DS 1500 became the 5th Gen DT.

The "4.5 Gen" is basically all new, except the cab and the bed sides.

Once the cab and bedsides are redesigned, it will be the 5th Gen.

dalepres

Reaction score
I had no idea about generations of Ram until I had placed my order and came here. I wanted a Ram and that's what I got.

Truth be told, though, I'd rather have the last year of a generation than the first year of the next.

Reaction score
It is still designated as a 4th gen. The HD is still DJ (I got to check in this, i am having a middle age moment)

The 4th gen DS 1500 became the 5th Gen DT.

The "4.5 Gen" is basically all new, except the cab and the bed sides.

Once the cab and bedsides are redesigned, it will be the 5th Gen.

2500's are DJs, 3500's are D2s

slimchance

Reaction score
the problem is when you go to buy something for the trk ..... 5th gen stuff does not usually and 4th gen is a crap shoot ... everybody is confused .... cap dealer told me the other day he has had 2 different dealers order caps for 2019 2500 ram and when the caps came in they did not fit and he said there has been problems using the 2018 2500 ram caps

Ruffone

Reaction score
the problem is when you go to buy something for the trk ..... 5th gen stuff does not usually and 4th gen is a crap shoot ... everybody is confused .... cap dealer told me the other day he has had 2 different dealers order caps for 2019 2500 ram and when the caps came in they did not fit and he said there has been problems using the 2018 2500 ram caps
And for the stuff that has changed there is not a lot out there yet aftermarket wise. I guess that’s what happens when you release the truck so late in the year.

slimchance

Reaction score
it seems more like the factory has a pile of leftover parts laying on the assembly line, so what ever is handy is put on your trk as it is built ... my window sticker and my build sheet do not even match how do we expect to order anything to fit .... these 2019 Rams are truely a Johnie Cash build (remember the song)

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
it seems more like the factory has a pile of leftover parts laying on the assembly line, so what ever is handy is put on your trk as it is built ... my window sticker and my build sheet do not even match how do we expect to order anything to fit .... these 2019 Rams are truely a Johnie Cash build (remember the song)

This is just not true. The chassis is all new. The interior is all new. The grill and bumper all new.

The bed is EXACTLY the same size as a 2018....but the lip on the tailgate MAY be slightly longer. I have a tonneau cover for an 18 on mine and it fits EXACTLY like it should. I have a bed mat for a 2018 in mine and it is an EXACT fit.

Blanket statements like yours only serve to confuse potential owners who might not know. It is much better to highlight issues that you MIGHT have experienced, and suggest solutions. That approach helps everyone.

slimchance

Reaction score
This is just not true. The chassis is all new. The interior is all new. The grill and bumper all new.

The bed is EXACTLY the same size as a 2018....but the lip on the tailgate MAY be slightly longer. I have a tonneau cover for an 18 on mine and it fits EXACTLY like it should. I have a bed mat for a 2018 in mine and it is an EXACT fit.

Blanket statements like yours only serve to confuse potential owners who might not know. It is much better to highlight issues that you MIGHT have experienced, and suggest solutions. That approach helps everyone.
this is true ... the mud flaps from an 18 do not fit "exactly" ... my rubber bed mat does NOT fit "exactly", but good enough .... i also have a tonneau cover form an 18 on my trk, but the way a bed cover fits is hardly an endorsement to say the beds are the same and my cap dealer who i have bought caps from for the past 15 yrs says the caps for a 2018 do NOT fit the 2019 "exactly" but do fit good enough ...all a 2019 Ram 2500 trk owner need to do is try to buy anything for the 2019 Ram 2500 and they can experience the confusion Ram has created with this Johny Cash construction

dalepres

Reaction score
this is true ... the mud flaps from an 18 do not fit "exactly" ... my rubber bed mat does NOT fit "exactly", but good enough .... i also have a tonneau cover form an 18 on my trk, but the way a bed cover fits is hardly an endorsement to say the beds are the same and my cap dealer who i have bought caps from for the past 15 yrs says the caps for a 2018 do NOT fit the 2019 "exactly" but do fit good enough ...all a 2019 Ram 2500 trk owner need to do is try to buy anything for the 2019 Ram 2500 and they can experience the confusion Ram has created with this Johny Cash construction

I must be weird. I bought a 2019 Ram so I bought 2019 Ram mudflaps. They fit exactly. Bought a Tonneau cover to fit a 2019. That fit perfectly. Other than your post, I would never have considered that my 2019 was a kludge of 2018 and 2019 parts because I would never buy a 2018 part for my 2019 Ram. If I buy a part for my 2019 and it is, coincidentally from my point of view, the same part number that the 2018 uses, that's fine but has nothing to do with me. When the 2020 comes out, if some of the screws, bolts, washers, rubber parts, etc., will the 2020 just be a kludge of 2018, 2019, and 2020 parts?

If I try to buy a part for my 2019 and it's not available but someone convinces me the 2018 part will fit, and it does, that's a plus for me, not a negative.

slimchance

Reaction score
i bought Weather Tech mud flaps for my 2019 Ram 2500 and the rear flaps did not fit .... we ended up using a set for 2018 .... i see you joined in october 19 ... i have been following and commenting on this and it's sister site since sep 18 ... go check out the comments throughout this and other forums .... i am not alone ... i do not see what trk you have in your signature so it is hard to compare what you have to what i have

AKDoug

Reaction score
i bought Weather Tech mud flaps for my 2019 Ram 2500 and the rear flaps did not fit .... we ended up using a set for 2018 .... i see you joined in october 19 ... i have been following and commenting on this and it's sister site since sep 18 ... go check out the comments throughout this and other forums .... i am not alone ... i do not see what trk you have in your signature so it is hard to compare what you have to what i have
That's a Weather Tech issue. Husky has no problems making a set that fit perfectly for a 2019, and they make a rear set for the c.c. as well. Husky makes 2019 mud flaps that fit. Bushwacker makes fender flares that fit the new front fenders. Shear Comfort's seat covers fit perfect. Maybe back in Sept '18 this was an issue, but aftermarket is catching up rapidly and I had zero issues outfitting my '19 with accessories.

Capt. Derek

Reaction score
yah, i'm not really hung up on what generation it's called. it's a ram heavy duty ;)

there are some folks on forums hanging hard on the tree, on what you call it. not really a
big deal lol
Not a big deal unless you are ordering aftermarket parts, then you need to know, I ordered rear seat covers and based on the 60/40 split the seat cover company sent 4th gen , and they don't fit without cutting to access the seat belts, wish I knew what my 2020 3500 is?

Users who are viewing this thread