Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Based on everything I’m reading, it seems I made a mistake in the truck I bought

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I feel I picked the worst one I could have for towing.

Is this real life or the Matrix?

That ISB 6.7 punches so far above it's weight class its unreal. Your 1500 5.3 "towing capacity" is a sham. The SAE Davis Dam test they use for those phoney ass numbers is perfect dry weather, no heavy winds, no panic stops with a low profile deck trailer with some pallets of bricks on it. I had the 2016 version of that truck. my 11x33ft measly 7,600lb GVWR travel trailer tossed that truck around like a dog with a chew tow on flat, dry, freeways with no wind and cross traffic.

MPG will improve as the engine breaks in, but MPG and low running costs are not a good metric for why you buy a 850lb/ft modern emissions saddled diesel.

Now that I've repeated everything that everyone else already said, I'll throw the match on this tinder box:

Your payload is BS. The 10k GVWR cap is a fee violation, your GAWR are 6,000/6,040 and all the DOT will care about (other than tire ratings). People will say you'll be sued for everything you own if you wreck over 10k GVWR but can't provide evidence.

Suffice to say, to the ire of the 3500 crowd, there are likely far more 2,300+lb pin weight 5ers being pulled by 2500s than by 3500s every day in this country and they handle it just fine. If you need ridiculous payload to haul crap around, get a low deck trailer or a utility trailer for a few grand and continue to enjoy those coil springs while being able to load stuff lower and haul just as much as the bed of a dually.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Actually my 5.3 handled going down steep grades very nicely.
[mod: easy with accusations, it just boils everyone's blood.]

Towing downhill, with anything of any weight, using an exhaust brake - be it Ford, GM/Chevy, Ram - is *nothing* at all like towing downhill without an exhaust brake. There's no other way to get that across other then experience behind the wheel. And for now let's just pretend the actual "sticker" numbers of both vehicles really was the "real world capability" for each. The difference is when you hook up your max trailer on the Chevy (or any gas engine, not picking on Chevy) and you want to go up hill, what is that like? High RPM, foot to floor. Does it make it to the top? Of course it does ... now hook up the max trailer on your 2500 and go up the same hill. Does it make it to the top? Of course it does ... did it make it to the top with far less stress on the truck AND the driver? Again, you just have to experience it.

Plenty of people tow with gas engines and that's fine, this isn't a "right or wrong". I live in the West and towing here with heavy loads means you are going to buy diesel. If you are maybe somewhere far less mountainous like say Florida, then towing heavy with a gas engine is likely to be a far better experience.

All 2500's (3/4t) class trucks are vastly under rated because of political and/or tax/fee reasons - not one of them is only capable of the "limited payload" on the sticker.

Enjoy your new truck and if you really aren't trolling, come back to this thread after you've got time behind the wheel towing and let us know what you think about a possible mistake...

Last edited by a moderator:

Whatatruck

Reaction score
Hmm well I'll try one more time then either you are trolling or just not really wanting to hear what's being said.

Towing downhill, with anything of any weight, using an exhaust brake - be it Ford, GM/Chevy, Ram - is *nothing* at all like towing downhill without an exhaust brake. There's no other way to get that across other then experience behind the wheel. And for now let's just pretend the actual "sticker" numbers of both vehicles really was the "real world capability" for each. The difference is when you hook up your max trailer on the Chevy (or any gas engine, not picking on Chevy) and you want to go up hill, what is that like? High RPM, foot to floor. Does it make it to the top? Of course it does ... now hook up the max trailer on your 2500 and go up the same hill. Does it make it to the top? Of course it does ... did it make it to the top with far less stress on the truck AND the driver? Again, you just have to experience it.

Plenty of people tow with gas engines and that's fine, this isn't a "right or wrong". I live in the West and towing here with heavy loads means you are going to buy diesel. If you are maybe somewhere far less mountainous like say Florida, then towing heavy with a gas engine is likely to be a far better experience.

All 2500's (3/4t) class trucks are vastly under rated because of political and/or tax/fee reasons - not one of them is only capable of the "limited payload" on the sticker.

Enjoy your new truck and if you really aren't trolling, come back to this thread after you've got time behind the wheel towing and let us know what you think about a possible mistake...
No one is trolling. I’ve provided pics of my new truck. The Silverado was a dog towing anything up hill but it did have a tow feature that would increase the rpms by keeping it in a lower gear and I have taken my 26ft 6100lb trailer through the smokies multiple times and felt more comfortable going down than wondering if I could make it up the hill. I don’t need your sarcastic banter in here. If anyone is a troll it’s you looking for an argument. I owned the truck for 7 years and I’m aware of its capabilities. However it was gutless towing anything. My comparison if you would have read the original post was not between my old truck so much as it was between the Hemi 2500 or the 3500 HO Cummins.

Last edited:

Whatatruck

Reaction score
Hmm well I'll try one more time then either you are trolling or just not really wanting to hear what's being said.

243CCAAD-EC3C-4B45-B735-15F97F5E4B77.jpeg
Before and after. I don’t miss the truck for the record.

Attachments

• 6AFDA5CD-EAE3-40C3-9B40-7ABB42D520E7.jpeg
    6AFDA5CD-EAE3-40C3-9B40-7ABB42D520E7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Listen up jack. No one is trolling. I’ve provided pics of my new truck. The Silverado was a dog towing anything up hill but it did have a tow feature that would increase the rpms by keeping it in a lower gear and I have taken my 26ft 6100lb trailer through the smokies multiple times and felt more comfortable going down than wondering if I could make it up the hill. I don’t need your sarcastic banter in here. If anyone is a troll it’s you looking for an argument. I owned the truck for 7 years and I’m aware of its capabilities. However it was gutless towing anything. My comparison if you would have read the original post was not between my old truck so much as it was between the Hemi 2500 or the 3500 HO Cummins.
Nice you'll fit in just fine here.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Trust me you wont have any issue towing, i get 19-20 mpg in my 19 2500 unloaded it pulls like a freight train the 15k towing number you gave is out to lunch it will pull much more.... the hemi gets 14-15mpg unloaded btw..... ignore the payload number and go by axle weights, payload is more just registration bull.....
I work my 2019 hard and it has yet to have an issue

The park model in first picture is 14k

2nd pic is 800lbs of plow upfront and 800lbs of ballast weight in the back 12” of the box

3rd pic the dump trailer had 3k of brick and concrete plus it weighs 4k empty

4th pic is with 3500lbs of jeep in the 4k trailer got 15mpg over 500kms with a decent amount of large hills

your truck will handle anything you need and way more than the chevy you got rid of!

Attachments

• B4D5108B-0612-4544-99F6-A38EF8665BE2.jpeg
    B4D5108B-0612-4544-99F6-A38EF8665BE2.jpeg
    990.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 0F4EF25D-F4E1-4913-A16F-6594EF6F931F.jpeg
    0F4EF25D-F4E1-4913-A16F-6594EF6F931F.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 57
  • B7A3D6E3-D6C5-411A-B094-BC34C814F6C8.jpeg
    B7A3D6E3-D6C5-411A-B094-BC34C814F6C8.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 54
  • AA21C620-16FC-4117-B990-A0E860EDCFC3.jpeg
    AA21C620-16FC-4117-B990-A0E860EDCFC3.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Recently towed my holiday trailer with two ATV's on my sled deck. I thought my 2020 2500 Cummins SO did pretty well to be honest. This is the first diesel I've owned and I thought the exhaust brake and tow/haul mode performed very well. I was very impressed when slowing down... didn't even have to start braking early on as the truck did most of work. Pretty cool!

Whatatruck

Reaction score
Trust me you wont have any issue towing, i get 19-20 mpg in my 19 2500 unloaded it pulls like a freight train the 15k towing number you gave is out to lunch it will pull much more.... the hemi gets 14-15mpg unloaded btw..... ignore the payload number and go by axle weights, payload is more just registration bull.....
I work my 2019 hard and it has yet to have an issue

The park model in first picture is 14k

2nd pic is 800lbs of plow upfront and 800lbs of ballast weight in the back 12” of the box

3rd pic the dump trailer had 3k of brick and concrete plus it weighs 4k empty

4th pic is with 3500lbs of jeep in the 4k trailer got 15mpg over 500kms with a decent amount of large hills

your truck will handle anything you need and way more than the chevy you got rid of!
Very impressive. A lot here have given me positive vibes about the truck and the choice I made and I feel great about that. Thank you.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Listen up jack. No one is trolling. I’ve provided pics of my new truck. The Silverado was a dog towing anything up hill but it did have a tow feature that would increase the rpms by keeping it in a lower gear and I have taken my 26ft 6100lb trailer through the smokies multiple times and felt more comfortable going down than wondering if I could make it up the hill. I don’t need your sarcastic banter in here. If anyone is a troll it’s you looking for an argument. I owned the truck for 7 years and I’m aware of its capabilities. However it was gutless towing anything. My comparison if you would have read the original post was not between my old truck so much as it was between the Hemi 2500 or the 3500 HO Cummins.

Maybe you should lighten up. Your first post came across pretty rough, and you've made some seemingly questionable comments. I don't blame somebody for thinking you were trolling to be honest. Glad to hear that you're now, and you're generally interested.

For example, saying that you're 1/2 ton "handled going down steep grades while towing 6k quite nicely" would make anybody here scratch their head. If you were trying to say that it "felt" a lot worse climbing through the smokies than descending, well fine. But let's face it. There are no 3 mile long steep descents in the smokies. I've spent plenty of time pulling through there. Even so, the brakes on a Silverado 1500 are pretty much just passenger car brakes. The suspension is SOFT. "Can It do it"? Sure. But you obviously have no reference point other than what you experienced - and yet you criticized somebody who gave pretty factual information. The difference in descending hills between your old Silverado and a Ram HD with the Cummins and exhaust brake is remarkable by any description. A 6k trailer almost certainly has magnetically driven electric brakes. They ain't all that. You were putting some stress on your rig, and in the event of an unforeseen emergency (a deer jumping out, whatever) your ability to deal with that situation was "OK". Your new truck is in a whole different universe. It's a truck. Not an oversized family sedan with a bed on the back.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone needs a reminder:

1. Treat other members with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated! We welcome all discussions and understand everyone might not see eye to eye but keep it civil.

1.1 Educate, Don't Irritate (trolling)
Few enjoy posts that offer little or no information, contains emotion at the expense of reason, or attacks another person. Trolling will not be tolerated.

Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread