Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Longhorn Limited

Ramnew3500

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to start a thread to document the progress on my new truck.

I'm coming from a 2018 Ecodiesel, and decided to pull the trigger on my dream truck.

I've been looking around for a few months, evr since I saw the used truck prices on the Ecodiesels, and realized that it would be a good time to sell my truck.

My primary reason for upgrading initially was to get the MegaCab. I have three young girls (8, 5, and 2) that I take on a lot of trips, so I wanted the extra cab room.

I also liked the idea of upgrading to a Cummins, having already driven the baby diesel.

A lot of our trips involve towing travel trailers. We currently rent them, as we don't own one yet, but I'm hoping to change that soon.

The Ecodiesel has been surprisingly good at towing, but it still gets a little overwhelmed sometimes with some of the bigger trailers, so I figured the HD truck will be even better.

I was initially looking at the 2500's, but I liked the idea of getting the high output Cummins with the Aisin, so I figured I might as well go with the 3500... and if I'm getting a 3500, I might as well get a dually, right? I can't honestly say that I have a need for the Dually, but I've always wanted one since I was a kid, so I figured why not, right?

After going through the build process online I decided that I wanted a very specific combination of features, which proved to be rather hard to find at dealerships.

I wanted a two tone with brown leather, with just about every single option, including the air suspension and upfitter switches.

This proved to be an exceedingly difficult truck to find, but I stumbled across one on cars.com, located at Rockwall Dodge in Texas.

Here's the specs on the truck:

2021 Ram 3500
Laramie Longhorn
Diamond Black with two-tone RV match brown paint
Cattle Tan leather seats
Cummins HO
Dual Rear Wheels
Air suspension
Towing technology group
Safety group
Protection group
5th wheel prep (this is the only option it has that I would have passed on, as I have no plans to ever tow a 5th wheel)
Longhorn Level 1 group
4.10 axle ratio
Sunroof
Auxiliary switches
Dual alternators (440 amps)

I contacted the dealership, bought it online, and it's currently being shipped to me in California right now.

I'm planning on installing an RSI smart cap as soon as it arrives, so that we'll be ready for our next camping trip in April.

I look forward to updating you all here with my progress as I build up the truck the way that I want it.

I hope you all enjoy, and thanks to everyone who posts on here... I've already learned a lot by reading through old threads.

-Angus
2021 Ram changed the Longhorn name to Limited Longhorn instead of Laramie Longhorn. I special ordered my 2021 3500 Mega Cab, Limited Longhorn and just got it in and with the Cummins HO and Aisin Transmission and all the extras. Went with single rear wheels.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Congratulation and welcome. Post some pics. I almost went with the Longhorn but my wife did not care for the cowboy theme.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Congratulation and welcome. Post some pics. I almost went with the Longhorn but my wife did not care for the cowboy theme.
I didn't tell my wife about the cowboy theme. She does like to go to the Longhorn Cattle Company resteraunt in Harlingen, Texas so she might be OK with it. She also hates the fake wood. Not sure if she will be impressed with the real wood in these things. But will know for sure when she gets in it for the first time. LOL

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't tell my wife about the cowboy theme. She does like to go to the Longhorn Cattle Company resteraunt in Harlingen, Texas so she might be OK with it. She also hates the fake wood. Not sure if she will be impressed with the real wood in these things. But will know for sure when she gets in it for the first time. LOL

Don't tell her it's fake wood...

Can't say for sure in the Longhorn, but the Limited "real wood" is a BFL. If it's wood (not likely) it's "plasticized."

CdnHO

Reaction score
Don't tell her it's fake wood...

Can't say for sure in the Longhorn, but the Limited "real wood" is a BFL. If it's wood (not likely) it's "plasticized."
According to the sales literature it is real wood. Who knows. Looks nice on my buddy's truck but then I didn not take a knife to it to find out if it was fake or not. LOL My 2003 was definitly fake.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Because their interior design lead said so in a youtube video?

Real wood doesn't dent like a piece of plastic when a trim tool leaves a mark on it.
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited. It is real wood on the steering wheel, doors dash and the top glove compartment door. Also on the middle console. And it is coated for protection.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I'm asking how you know it is real wood?
The 2020 brochure for the HD trucks states the Longhorn has real wood accents and solid wood doors on the console. Now, you are not suggesting that FCA would like about the wood in their trucks are you???? Of course the last real wood I have seen on a vehicle was a Ford station wagon my dad had in the late 50s. LOL

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I'm asking how you know it is real wood?
In addition to Ram stating its real wood, I talked to a mechanic. They were working on a Ram that had been in an accident. The steering wheel was broken open and he said you could see plainly that it was wood. If you don't think so go get it tested. Ram makes a big deal of it being real wood (open pore in the Longhorn) I don't think they would want the negative press and potential lawsuit that would occur if it was not real wood.

CdnHO

Reaction score
In addition to Ram stating its real wood, I talked to a mechanic. They were working on a Ram that had been in an accident. The steering wheel was broken open and he said you could see plainly that it was wood. If you don't think so go get it tested. Ram makes a big deal of it being real wood (open pore in the Longhorn) I don't think they would want the negative press and potential lawsuit that would occur if it was not real wood.
There ya go Brutal. REAL WOOD. LOL

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There ya go Brutal. REAL WOOD. LOL

Steering wheel may be but I'm not buying it on the dash panels. My Limited has a small dent in one from a trim tool like a piece of plastic.

Negative press and Lawsuit for not real wood. LOL Worse than the CP4 I tell ya.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Steering wheel may be but I'm not buying it on the dash panels. My Limited has a small dent in one from a trim tool like a piece of plastic.

Negative press and Lawsuit for not real wood. LOL Worse than the CP4 I tell ya.
What can I say? If you would have bought a Longhorn you would have had real barn wood on that dash. LOL:)

Band1t

Reaction score
What can I say? If you would have bought a Longhorn you would have had real barn wood on that dash. LOL:)
Off topic with the real or fake wood, but here goes.
im expecting to have to order my truck, as the selection out there is notta. A dealer told me they would not know the price until the truck arrived. I called BS on them. Who would order a truck not knowing what they were going to have to pay for it?
thoughts from you that have ordered, and what kind of deal did you get? Thanks!

CdnHO

Reaction score
im expecting to have to order my truck, as the selection out there is notta. A dealer told me they would not know the price until the truck arrived. I called BS on them. Who would order a truck not knowing what they were going to have to pay for it?
No way. When you order the truck you need to get a Price Order Confirmation or POC that lists the price for the truck and the options. Once the truck ships from the Mexico plant the dealer is invoiced for the truck. BS!!! Find another dealer.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
When the truck is ordered they should give you a copy of the order sheet which includes sticker and invoice pricing. I waited until my truck came in to negotiate. As I had an uncommon build, and I was not in a hurry, I figured that would be a great time to negotiate. Either they agreed to a deal that was acceptable to me or they could have a truck on their lot they did not want. Ended up around 10% off MSRP and had them throw in mud flaps front and rear (installed) along with the all weather mats. Also agreed to sell me new tires at cost (Had to get rid of those Firestone Transjunks first thing).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The only unknown is rebates and incentives/programs at time of delivery.

Can't say what deals are right now with Covid still messing things up, but 10-12% off invoice was the normal. Some did better, some worse. There are several whole threads here detailing this.

The most you should ever pay:

Invoice - full holdback - $500. No dealer fees, add-ons, doc fees, etc.

JGMega2500

Reaction score
That is complete BS - I signed a P.O. for my order last week after getting them down from $84,420 MSRP to $76,500, paid a $1k deposit, and have it in writing that any rebates or incentives available at time of delivery (120 day estimate) will be applied

Users who are viewing this thread