Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel Hitches > I am So Confused!

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, when we purchased our Ram 2500, we did so with the factory installed 5th wheel towing prep package. On top of that, the wife and I, have settled for a 5th wheel that weighs 9338# dry and has a 1371# dry hitch weight.

The dealer that sells this particular 5th wheel would also like to sell us the hitch as well. My thoughts would be something along the lines of having it as light as possible and yet sturdy enough not to give and do damage to the truck. The dealer's recommendation was something aluminum that is constructed in a pyramid shape and has been only out on the market for a year. Yup! The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Hitch.

So far we have purchased nothing. I had my doubts that this was the hitch for us and I followed up with countless hours searching the web for options and reviews. Way more hours than I wanted to spend on the computer. It is amazing the hot and cold reviews I found for each hitch on the market. This included Andersen. I believe I have educated myself enough to know I really don't want the 5th wheel to break free from it's pin and smack the truck. I have also concluded that I need a slider hitch for my shortbed, one that doesn't chatter and one that has a four position head.

I believe I might have settled on the B & W Patriot 18k slider with the Curt X5 adapter for Ram (Anyone have this setup?). It seems to be light enough for removal and yet sturdy enough to keep everything in line when traveling without all the chatter.

So tell me...Is this a good selection or am I missing something? I really like the B & W Companion, but feel it's too heavy and a little more hitch than what I need.

I am a real novice at selecting something I really know nothing about...So a little help please.

LossPrev

Reaction score
The Andersen has been out a longer than a year, especially before it went aluminum. I don't think you'd have any issues with reliability but you could definitely hit your cab.

I am in the same boat but going with a slightly larger 5th this spring. I am pretty set on the Pullrite Superglide and would recommend you at least check it out. From people I've talked to, read comments and watched videos no one ever seems to actually use the manual sliders because 99% of the time there's no need. It's great for emergencies but if I'm going to hit the cab it's probably going to be when I didn't expect it...

The downside of course is it's a heavy mofo. I've also looked at the Pullrite superlite, similar idea to the Andersen but I think it is built much stronger.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I bought a PullRite 4100 Super glide in 2016 when I bought my first 5th wheel. I am glad I did and with my 2013 RAM 2500 Tradesman CC SB diesel it did work well. I was new to 5th wheels and towing anything that big. After a year or so I found the Demco autoslider. The biggest difference I see with the Demco is that one deosn't have to purchase the plates for the trailers. That means it is more versatile. Both are heavy hitches. I not seen one failure of either hitch.

The Anderson hitch is lightweight and has provided many with thousands of miles of issue free usage. I would not purchase one.

Thorvald

Reaction score
I am in the same boat and an RV owner myself but hopefully soon will make the move to fifth wheel now that I have the bigger truck. I’ve been researching hitches for four years now and I’m amazed at how opinions are all over the map.

I’ll distill it down to what I’ve found:

B&W companion Is top-of-the-line and you can’t go wrong. The only part that I (and many others) don’t like is it is freaking heavy especially if I want the slider version due to my short bed and how much of the bed it will take up because I will have to leave it in due to the ridiculously heavy weight. However that thing is built like a tank. After this I would put my trust in the full steel Curt units as once again they are built like tanks and they only fail when you fail to lock the king pin properly.

Anderson and the other models of super light tripod hitches. While they look like a cool idea they scare the crap out of me. Kind of like a CP4 pump, tons of people don’t have any problems with it but if you do, you have major problems. I don’t want to end up being an accidental statistic. I’ve seen enough images of accidents where it broke and that was enough for me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an image of a proper full steel fifth wheel hitch where the king pin has managed to break it and go straight into the cab (but hey I haven’t been looking for one either). I bought a 3500 so that I don’t need a super light hitch.

Reese goose box 2.0. This is probably the way I will go. As long as you have a Lippert frame for your trailer they will not void the warranty if you use this hitch on the trailer. The nice part is you just use a goose ball in your bed which takes up zero space and is very easily removable. Everything I’ve read about this hitch has been amazing lots of video reviews lots of foreign reviews people can’t get enough of it because they don’t have a monstrous fifth wheel hitch in their bed. Waze safe also just released a goose ball with the scale built-in.

However if I was towing a triple axle monster toy hauler fully loaded I’d probably stick with the B&W companion for peace of mind. But then I would have to trade for a Dually with a long box.

Currently we own a Grand Desig Imagine 2800 BH which is quite light for our new truck (so this season should be a freaking joke towing wise) but we are looking at a Grand Design Momentum 353G when we can afford it. The problem is this new truck cost as much (almost more) as my mortgage and now I have no money for a trailer... 1st world problems eh!

—-

The automatic sliding hitch is strangely I only recently discovered I don’t know why it didn’t show up in searches more often. Possibly because I didn’t realize it was an automatic slider. They definitely have my interest and will keep an ion them if whatever trailer I buy needs more clearance on the cab but again it’s going to eat my truck bed and weigh a ton to take it out. The goose box with goose ball is just the cats pajamas.

Cheers
Tim

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Always a tough choice when you have a short bed and need a slider or other solution. Tougher still when you have a 2500 with limited payload.

The auto-sliders are great but heavy and some are tough to get hooked up if off-angle. The Pullrite would be my choice unless I needed to pull ANY trailer, then the Demco.

The manual sliders like the B&W run the risk of hitting the cab with the trailer if you're not diligent. can't go wrong with any B&W.

As much as I am a self professed "disliker" (hater is such a strong word) of the AUH, I don't feel they're overly unsafe with lighter trailers (under 11-12K GVWR).

A similar solution to AUH is the Pullrite superlite but I don't know what sort of offset they have to clear cabs on shortbed trucks.

The Reese Goosebox is a great solution IF the trailer pinbox can be swapped (see below) AND you can install a B&W offset ball for shortbed trucks. I don't believe there's an offset ball solution available for the RAM factory ball mount unless you can find something like the Curt X-5 puck to GN adapter with an offset. Adding the offset will shift the weight back some behind your axle.

All things considered, I think what's being possibly overlooked is most lightweight FW have a Turning point hitch installed and can't take any other pinbox like a Goosebox. If they have a Turning Point or even if they don't then you really should consider a Reese Sidewinder pinbox and you can use literally any FW hitch of your choosing with the correct locking block. Downside is the same issues hooking up at an angle (though less so with a movable pinbox) as indicated above. Also not really a fan of shifting that pivot point back, but with a 10K trailer and HD pickup it shouldn't really be an issue.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just buy the slider you like you will do fine and as far as the bed adapter what ever you do dont buy the reese adapter it is garbage i had ti modify it to fit the truck and my hitch which is the same specs as the reese so it should have fit flawlessly....

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Have a short bed mega cab. I stared off with a BW slider. I never used the slider function. Went to a Gen Y gooseneck and love it since I don't have that huge slider hitch in my bed. Using a 4" extender like you mentioned above. Couple of videos on my YouTube channel about it if you'd like to see the setup.

roegs

Reaction score
I'm picking up my 3500 on Friday, and hopefully Monday I'll be driving to pick up a used Demco Autoslide. We'll be renting 5th wheels for a while to see if we like it, so the Demco works best for me (vs Pullrite) for reasons Brutal mentioned above. I've towed my share of travel trailers and I'm a big believer in the right hitch for the job. For the last travel trailer we owned, I purchased a used Hensly Arrow. It was not cheap, was heavy, and connecting at an angle was difficult, but man o man did it tow nice! Zero sway - even in cross winds with semi's passing. I'm going for an auto slider (Demco, Pullrite) for the same reasons as I learn pulling a 5th wheel. The 5th wheel thing is brand new to me. I know many people say that sliders are not needed, but since we'll be renting 5th wheels for a while, I cannot always plan on a rounded nose. Even if we do purchase something with a rounded nose, I'd probably still go for an auto slider unless we had a swing hitch such as Reese Sidewinder (or similar). Anderson and others push the pivot point further back towards the rear of the truck. While I love the lighter weight they provide, I'm a little leery of what I've read - especially for heavier 5th wheels. Damaging the rear window, cab, or side rails can ruin an otherwise fun trip. Like the saying goes, 'Go big, or go home'. I'll go for the big auto slider now while I get the hang of this. Later on I can always go with something lighter and less expensive.

foneguy

Reaction score
one reason i got the long bed. no slider worry.....and i bought the 20K curt from e trailer......curt makes ram's hitches.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am going to do some more research based on the replies here.

I have one more question, based on a comment in one reply. If the 5th wheel has a contoured front (Rounded or chamfered side to side or top to bottom) is it really necessary to buy a slider for a short bed truck? We are looking at a 2021 Forest River Ultra Lite that is contoured in the front. It never occurred to me, until last night, that the newer 5ths might not need a sliding hitch and perhaps that was what the salesman was eluding towards.

As I said, "I'm a novice!"

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
While they have cut corners that can help with the initial turn, the width of the trailer doesn't change and is still an issue.

A standard 96" 5th wheel is 48" from the kingpin to the side. If your hitch kingpin hole to cab distance is less than that, the trailer will contact the cab on tight backing turns approaching 90°.

Last edited:

roegs

Reaction score
I'm green on this 5th wheel stuff also... Assuming that I had a 5th wheel with rounded front that does clear the cab on sharp turns, I've read that uneven ground (e.g. backing into a low spot or up an incline) could reduce that clearance and a guy still could strike the cab. Is that correct? Maybe what I'm asking is how much 5th wheel to cab clearance is enough before a guy can consider himself safe?

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
honestly, it varies on where you go and what you do. I've been all over the country in mine and I would bet I haven't turned much over 65 degrees(just a guess), but that requires more backing up. I've had a few tight spots that took me a while because of my limited range. That was with my new gooseneck setup. I bet the slider hitch would have been better in that situation. However, as stated earlier, I never had a need to use the slider option when I had it. I only go on pavement so there isn't much off camber stuff. I've never had an issue. Do I wish I had an 8ft bed, yes, but I wouldn't give up the mega and to this point I haven't needed to turn anywhere close to 90 degrees to do what I need.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am going to do some more research based on the replies here.

I have one more question, based on a comment in one reply. If the 5th wheel has a contoured front (Rounded or chamfered side to side or top to bottom) is it really necessary to buy a slider for a short bed truck? We are looking at a 2021 Forest River Ultra Lite that is contoured in the front. It never occurred to me, until last night, that the newer 5ths might not need a sliding hitch and perhaps that was what the salesman was eluding towards.

I had a 2014 2500 with a short bed and a curt A20 for the factory puck system and never had a problem with chucking or any issues with the hitch. I have a grand design reflection 290BH which does have a fairly rounded cap and I have never been in a position where I needed a slider. If you are needing to do a 90 degree turn you are screwed yes but a 90 degree turn is hard on the axles and suspension of the rv anyway so I have no desire to do it.

bfs673

Reaction score

The whole "Is a fifth wheel OK in a shortbed truck" conversation is more complicated than most like to admit. I am no expert, but I've pulled a couple different 5th wheel with a SB RAM and have mixed experience.
I had a Keystone Cougar 333MKS 5th wheel paired with a B&W Companion. This was a VERY smooth tow with no clearance issues. Yes, I had to be cautious, but honestly plenty of clearance for tighter turns, even with moderate grades involved.
This hitch was a beast!

I upgraded to a Grand Design Solitude, 344GK and things changed significantly. The GD is a wide body trailer, different front cap design, and not cut away as aggressively as the Cougar was. I was still "OK", but really had to be cautious. This would've continued to work OK, but certainly not ideal. Until I had to make a tight turn into a campground with a downward sloped driveway. As careful and slow as I was, I "kissed" the cab. This was extremely upsetting and I went and got the DEMCO autoslider. A manual slider wouldn't have helped in the previous situation, as I would've never stopped on a busy country road, with traffic at 60MPH+ to get out and slide the hitch.

I never liked the DEMCO much. It performed its job well, and resolved my clearance issues, but the setup caused more bucking than I was used to with the B&W companion. Oh... and if you think the companion was heavy at 203lbs... The autoslider was ridiculous. Top that off with even less space in the bed of the truck. It was so heavy, I just never removed it.

Unfortunately my rig was totaled in a wreck, re-thought the whole set up and went with a Reese Goosebox and long bed set-up!

If I were to go back in time, I would've replaced the factory gooseneck adapter with the B&W turnover ball. This would allow you to use a 4" offset ball and the Reese Goosebox. With your trailer, this would offer good clearance and an empty bed when not towing.

Forest River may use the Turning Point pin box; if that's the case, then the Goosebox would not work (as far as I know).

Bes of luck, and enjoy the camping experience !!!

jackel1959

Reaction score
PullRite auto slider for me. I have towed 2 different 5th wheels (40' Montana & 39' Bighorn) with 2 different short bed trucks. I used a Reese manual slider in both trucks and never had a problem with the first truck, but with my last RAM, while making a turn at a campground I was familiar with, I kissed the cab. What a terrible feeling. After that trip I purchased a PullRite SuperGlide and have never looked back. Yes, the hitch is heavy and you do have to use a pin-box specific adapter plate, but the piece of mind is worth it. JMHO. The PullRite will be going into the new truck whenever it gets here.

VIC0280

Reaction score
new to 5'er towing as well. my new truck 2021 mega 3500 HO SRW with factory puck system.

I just ordered a Retrax pro XR tonneau and settled on a pull rite slider. waiting for our new Grand Design Solitude to come in.

my concern is if I have enough clearance to close the tonneau? I hear that it has 19 3/4 room from the floor. I see that the hitch is less than that, but I also have to add a demco adapter for the puck system. the #2315 hitch is on backorder.

anyone running he pull rite with a retrax tonneau???

Dunner

Reaction score
I pulled my 5th wheel with my short box 1500hd and GMC 2500hd short boxes 6.5' I have never had any issues. My father pulls a 42' big horn with a Ford 6.7 shortbox. I know guys had to have sliders with 5.5' boxes. Am I missing something with the Ram 3500 SB CC that all of a sudden I must have a slider to tow? Sorry This is my first Ram and I'm just wondering If I'm missing something.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I pulled my 5th wheel with my short box 1500hd and GMC 2500hd short boxes 6.5' I have never had any issues. My father pulls a 42' big horn with a Ford 6.7 shortbox. I know guys had to have sliders with 5.5' boxes. Am I missing something with the Ram 3500 SB CC that all of a sudden I must have a slider to tow? Sorry This is my first Ram and I'm just wondering If I'm missing something.
All 6.5’ boxes are the same idea no you dont need a slider but you cant back up as sharp thats where the slider comes in to play

Users who are viewing this thread