Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

str_8_shot

Reaction score
What emission standard “change” was instituted year models 19-20? I had this researched and they found nothing. I’m not doubting you, but if you know I’d like to see the change. The MARPOL Annex VI starting in 2020 was for fuel, not emission. The EPA.gov shows no (that we found) emission requirement changes that would’ve prompted FCA pump change.

Seems odd this EPA change would’ve required an immediate pump change by FCA, that couldn’t wait 1.5yrs ( if they had the CP-ISB21 pump in the works)? And the use of an inferior pump as a stop gap, instead of another adjustment to meet emission requirements, just doesn’t add up.
If I’m wrong please show me, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mra400ex

Reaction score
After driving a 7.3L gas at a local dealer on Saturday. 2/20/21, I got online with several other Ford dealers, sent pictures of my 3500, etc. Worked on price and what they would give me. One dealer really worked and I traded my 3500 drw today. Maybe a mistake but everyone I know has raved about the new 7.3L gas and the 10 speed. Driving the F250 Tremor package home I was very pleased and got similar mileage with the truck being brand new. The 3500 is an amazing pulling machine, but the 7.3 gasser should do what I want it too. Talking to my son this evening he sighted 3 people he knew that had issues with their Ram. The father-in-law of one friend just got his 2019 back for the CP4 failure. The brother of another friend just had his Aisin transmission in a 2016 Ram replaced at 140,000 miles. The 2018 that his company owns has been a frequent flyer to the dealer for various things. A good friend of mine has a 2016 Ram with 150,000 miles. Before going out of warranty he had a leaking trans line, water pump lock up and burn off belt, starter, complete DPF replaced, and def injection issues. And most recently after warranty expired was a turbo out of his pocket. Sort of ironic that so many have had issues from a few you know that have the Ram trucks.

I have had excellent service from Ford trucks for years. Went with the Ram for the Cummins and the good reputation. Then all the talk about CP4 failures. And then learning someone I know having a failure, (Not sure of details, miles, etc.) But in the guys construction business with his sons they have had several Ram trucks. My thoughts were if FCA has not done anything yet concerning the CP4, they have dropped the ball on this short term Ram owner. Like I said, I may have made a mistake, but my 60 miles home showed a 14.3 mpg average. Just soured on this fuel pump issue. Also to note the door hinges were so flimsy on the Ram. The Superduty doors are really built. The mirrors are designed much better and extend electrically, The Tremor package is really neat also. Limited slip in front axle. Extended vents to allow crossing 33 inch deep water (LOL) Skid Plates, off road mode with creeper drive, special shocks, and a few other things. I think this older kid is going to like this thing. Good luck to all you guys on your CP4s.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Dude was respectful, no need for salt.

Shows more evidence this CP4 nonsense is more than just failure rate talking points. Perception is reality. Ram should get on the ball soon. No more BS. Fast track it and get it done. "Service solution" mystery talk has already worn thin. Another month and it will be time to gather the forks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What emission standard “change” was instituted year models 19-20? I had this researched and they found nothing. I’m not doubting you, but if you know I’d like to see the change. The MARPOL Annex VI starting in 2020 was for fuel, not emission. The EPA.gov shows no (that we found) emission requirement changes that would’ve prompted FCA pump change.

Seems odd this EPA change would’ve required an immediate pump change by FCA, that couldn’t wait 1.5yrs ( if they had the CP-ISB21 pump in the works)? And the use of an inferior pump as a stop gap, instead of another adjustment to meet emission requirements, just doesn’t add up.
If I’m wrong please show me, thanks in advance!
I misspoke when I said emissions. As I understand, it was for the torque wars to get to 1000 lb-ft. We can only assume they did both SO and HO dirty to save costs. That was the other part of it for certain - cost.

Newto5thGen

Reaction score
And tons of people claim to have seen the bigfoot. what does a ford 7.3 advertisement have to do with this topic?

str_8_shot

Reaction score
Thanks brutal-HO for the reply.

I’ve hear all this talk about adding another fuel tank also, or running it low on fuel was the cause of pump failure...this isn’t credible to me either. I can speak from experience, I never ran mine below 1/2 tank ever. When the pump exploded they drained over 15 gallons of fuel from the truck. The truck was 6 months old with 6k miles on it. It failed because it was a poor design, plain and simple.

They’re two types of CP4 pumps in the 19-20’s the ones that have exploded, and the ones that will explode. It’s scary, if use it to put food on the table.

Last edited:

mra400ex

Reaction score

Shows more evidence this CP4 nonsense is more than just failure rate talking points. Perception is reality. Ram should get on the ball soon. No more BS. Fast track it and get it done. "Service solution" mystery talk has already worn thin. Another month and it will be time to gather the forks.
Thanks EP, The RAM3500 was a great running truck. Just odd my son talking about what his buddies had just been telling him. My towing needs changed and the DRW and diesel was not really needed. With all this emissions on the diesels this day it is a constant battle. If you need the torque and towing the Ram is great. Not knocking them at all, just FCA. Knowing someone who had the CP4 fail hits closer to home. For the area I roam the 7.3L will be good for my usage. My 3500 purchase was to pull an equipment trailer with a D4 on it. So around 23000 lbs total. But by the time you license, etc. it was not worth it. A buddy has a F350 dually I can borrow or rent when I move the D4. The F250 will handle all my other hauling ( L4760 Cab tractor and implement or L39 TLB) And with the SRW I should be good and easy to use personally for a long time. My buddy just spent about $4K on the turbo and install. I would have installed it for him and checked around more but was on the mend from a broken hand, which has not been fun, LOL.

Last edited:

mra400ex

Reaction score
And tons of people claim to have seen the bigfoot. what does a ford 7.3 advertisement have to do with this topic?
Sorry you think my post as an advertisement. I have mixed thoughts on my trade. Just felt the dealer treated me well and the DRW was too much for my usage and when I started pricing they gave me a trade in within $2K of what I bought the Ram for. I orgionally drove the 7.3L because a couple buddies and a fellow mechanic was talking shop and said how everyone who has gotten the 7.3L has been happy with them. My thought was if FCA did not do a recall I was going to do the CP3 conversion, When trade pricing among dealers was way too high, the one dealer really got in the ballpark. I believe the major winter storm had them completely closed for 3 days and then the rest of the 2 weeks there was no one on the lot. While I was there 2 other vehicles went out the door. I think they were really dealing to make up the loss from the last 2 weeks. I learned about fordtremor.com site tonight and had no idea how popular the Raptor is. Hopefully the truck satisfies my requirements and hope FCA come thru for everyone. Owners of the RAM with the Cummins deserves a solution and is an amazing truck. FCA needs to quit messing around dragging their feet on this issue.

99ls1tj

Reaction score

Got to rag him a little for buying a Ford. I have my fork ready!

mra400ex

Reaction score
Got to rag him a little for buying a Ford. I have my fork ready!
Hey...... Even thought I traded I will still help out my RAM HD buddies and sharpen up the old hay fork to get something done. Spare plug wires on order !!!!! I may need my fork for the Ford Service Desk, LOL

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
LOL, I hope so. I had a 2001 CTD dually flatbed for a while. Had muffler delete. Was a pulling machine. Ahh, the good ole days
After my last ford grenaded the engine and 2 transfercases at 41k km i will never buy a ford again thats why i call the fords rolling turds

I hope you have better luck than me lol

UglyViking

Reaction score
All brands have their pros and cons. The market is so competitive, buyer expectations are so high, and practical knowledge of how to take care of a vehicle is so low. (General claims, not applying them to anyone on this forum)

I hope the Ford takes care of you. I almost bought a SD but I just couldn't turn away from the cummins, as lethargic as it is from the factory.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
the sad part is that when you buy a high end truck you expect it to be as good as or better then the previous years model. FCA should have seen from the competitions issues with the CP-4 and not switched. I bought my 2020 because of the reliability of my 2014 and that is a huge reason I did not go to Ford and now to have to worry about a known issue that Ford has been having is sad.
I did the same. Had a 2016 thought I'd upgrade...smh. Hopefully I'm one of the 150K mile lucky ones..

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
What does the CP3/CP-ISB21 do for fuel return to be different than the CP4?

The 4 sends blown bits to the engine and injectors, where does the 3/21 send it to?

mra400ex

Reaction score
All brands have their pros and cons. The market is so competitive, buyer expectations are so high, and practical knowledge of how to take care of a vehicle is so low. (General claims, not applying them to anyone on this forum)

I hope the Ford takes care of you. I almost bought a SD but I just couldn't turn away from the cummins, as lethargic as it is from the factory.
I loved the Cummins too!!!! Just my needs changed and was more comfortable without the DRW. Thought the 7.3L gasser might be a better fit down the road. Will see. All brands can have issues and certain weak spots. And as a mechanic we know hear about them all, LOL A buddy at a Mercedes dealer talked about all the problems with them. All the owners of luxury brands will make excuses for the things that go wrong. "I had to put a new motor in my Mercedes SUV. The dealer told me it was very rare, so that's ok. It only cost me $22,000 for the new motor" That is what he has actually witnessed owners say. BY the way, had seen your posts. Do you have a Yamaha Viking and were you a member on the Viking Forum...... I got a 2014 Camo Viking.

Users who are viewing this thread