Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 3.73 vs 4.10 thread - placed order with dealer and second guessing my decision

jrhoads23

Reaction score
Newbie here. Just placed an order with my dealer for a 2021 Big Horn 2500 (Crew cab 4x4 gasser). This will be my first Ram - I am upgrading from a Silverado 1500. I had lots of questions when deciding what to order for it - gas vs diesel, 2500 vs 3500, Big Horn vs Laramie... and color :) This site was great is helping me research and make my decision. My order is placed and I have a couple days to change anything if I want... the last item I am still up in the air on is if I should go with the 3.73 or 4.10. I have read a number of threads on the topic - many deal with older models prior to the new 8 speed tranny. From what I read, the 3.73 was inferior when it was with a 6 speed, but the 8 speed changes that a lot. My order currently has it with the 4.10, but after speaking with some truck friends (none of them have a 2019+ Ram 2500) they say I should certainly get the 3.73 and I am starting to second guess my decision.

My justification is it seems like people have gotten the 3.73 and wished they did the 4.10. Not many people are the opposite of that.
However my big fear is gas mileage will suffer a lot and RPMs will be obnoxious at high speeds. This will be my daily driver so if there will be a large (2 MPG or more) difference, that might persuade me to change to 3.73

Now that the 8 speed has been out for a couple years, was wondering if people have some feedback on their thoughts on the 3.73 vs 4.10 after a couple years of use. I read one post and I think I should get the 4.10. Then I read another post and think I should get the 3.73

It will be my daily driver and I typically put 15,000 miles per year on. Only 1,500 miles or so of that will be towing, and currently it is a small-ish TT camper (23 foot). I could see us moving up to a slightly larger camper at some point in the future, but it would only be 1 size up. Not a fiver or any kind of beast bumper pull. We live in Wisconsin and never leave the state to camp, so large hills and grades are not really a concern.
When not towing probably 50/50 in terms of city vs interstate driving. I plan on keeping it stock (famous last words!) but I don't know... they sure do look nice with a little bigger tires on them :) I certainly wouldn't want to base my decision on that tho as it may never happen

Anyone with a 2019+ 2500 who got one or the other and really regrets their decision? Anyone who has owned and driven both a lot who can provide some feedback?

This is probably the best topic on the issue. Very good read. After reading it all, sounds like there is no clear winner?

Another good disussion on the topic:

Another MPG discussion:

User in pretty much the exact same situation as me. This post was right when the new 8 speeds came out

MikeXM

Reaction score
If you want to change, now is the time.

But for comparison, here is my personal experience with an "underpowered" truck:

My previous megacab had the 5.7L gasser (345hp, 375lb-ft), old 5 speed, and 3.73. I pulled a 10K-ish 32ft TT in all road conditions with it. Oh, and I had oversized tires (34.1" vs 31.6" stock) too. The tires increase alone would make it a 3.45 effective ratio compared to stock.

Did I fee it was a bit underpowered, yes, kinda. But once at highway speed, it went as fast as I cared to. Did it really bothered me or even made my change my travel plans? Never. I went everywhere with that TT for 12 years.

Being a DD, the 3.73 did make sense, a lot. That thing was thirsty for sure. When towing, I was doing 6 mpg tanks and sometime less!

Given the very small number of miles in your case, the 3.73 would be better imho. I mean the 6.4L (410hp and 429lb-ft) with the 8 speed is a beast compared to what I had. And if you keep your stock tires, you will be more than happy.

Last edited:

b307a1

Reaction score
Depending when you placed the order you might have to live with your decision because once it goes into D1 status you can't make changes.

mhurlburt1201

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes I would choose the 3.73. Reasons
1. Gas prices are only going to go up for the next 4-8 years. Quick research tells me you are gonna get an average of 2-3 MPG's better with 3.73 in daily driving.
2. Assuming short bed - You are going from roughly 14,100lbs Max Tow with 3.73 to 16,500lbs with 4.10. It doesn't sound like towing something 15-16k is in your future.
3. Your payload doesn't change. (Using the Ramtrucks.com towing capacity guide). so no real consideration there.

This is just quick research, but it sounds like you have done more. Your only real loss is MPG's. It may cost you $300-$500 more per year to run the 4.10 (depending on gas prices). If that is okay...then go that way.
The cost when ordering of $145 is nominal..so not really a discussion point.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Went up and back on this when configuring our truck. Then my wife says are we buying this for capability or MPG? The 4.10 is very peppy off the line when not towing, and of course tows great. The only thing I would say is that this is not a vehicle you buy for MPG. If you are that worried then get a different vehicle for daily driving. It's the old adage, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

jadmt

Reaction score
If given a choice I would do 4.10 no ifs and or buts. in everyday driving your mpg will be so close and at some point you will want bigger tires. Cheapest time to get gears is when ordering from the factory. I have rarely ever read a post where someone with 4.10's wished they had went lower numerically but many times the other way around.

jadmt

Reaction score
for reference I have a 2020 with 6.4 and 4.10's and 35's and it is a DD I get ~15mpg speedo has been calibrated. How much better could 3.73's get? not enough too make it worth to me anyway.

wjcook68

Reaction score
I had the same decision to make when I was looking at mine. The truck I wound up getting had the 4.10's and the 50 gallon tank. I have had no regrets getting the 4.10's in my 2020 2500 6.4L 4x4 CC long box. As stated by JohnandDonna above, I would rather have the extra towing capacity and not need it then be limited later on. BTW mine is my daily driver, 50 miles round trip five days a week. Just my $.02

Wayne

jrhoads23

Reaction score
Depending when you placed the order you might have to live with your decision because once it goes into D1 status you can't make changes.
Kind of what I was thinking too. I got the Priced Order Confirmation (POC) from my dealer and that shows the order was placed last Thursday (Feb 11). When I asked my salesman today he said I should have a couple days to make changes

jrhoads23

Reaction score
I had the same decision to make when I was looking at mine. The truck I wound up getting had the 4.10's and the 50 gallon tank. I have had no regrets getting the 4.10's in my 2020 2500 6.4L 4x4 CC long box. As stated by JohnandDonna above, I would rather have the extra towing capacity and not need it then be limited later on. BTW mine is my daily driver, 50 miles round trip five days a week. Just my $.02

Wayne
Thanks. What kind of MPG are you getting when not towing?

Pronto

Reaction score
Sounds like your more sensitive to mileage than towing capability. My first thousand miles in my 4.10 Hemi, I'm only seeing about 10 mpg, but all my highway miles have been towing. Unless, you're planning on putting on bigger tires, you'll probably be second guessing your choice of 4.10 if you get similar mileage. That's not to say that you're going to get a lot better mileage with the 3.73, I really don't know. From a towing standpoint, it sounds like 3.73 will be fine for you.

jrhoads23

Reaction score
MPG is pretty much the only thing holding me back. I like the extra towing capacity (if ever needed), more pep around town and a better option for 35s if I want.

For arguments sake, lets assume gas is $3/gallon (currently around $2.35 by me for 87*)

15,000 miles @ avg 12 MPG = 1250 gallons x $3 = $3,750 / year in gas
15,000 miles @ avg 14 MPG = 1071 gallons x $3 = $3,213 / year in gas
Difference of around $540 more per year I will pay in fuel having the 4.10 (again, if my assumption/guess of 2 MPG is correct).

* This also assumes 87 is ok for these, which it sounds like it is - even tho Ram's website says it recommends Premium unleaded.

I think I would be fine with $500. If people tell me that there is a net 4 MPG difference, then we are talking near $1,300 per year difference - which would be tougher for me to swallow.
And I am not sure about this, but I would think if I ever wanted to sell it the 4.10 might be an advantage since they are more rare, but that's just a guess.

jrhoads23

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how long do you plan on keeping it?
No firm time but I had my half ton Silverado for around 5 years. So possibly around that length? If 5 years from now I want a newer truck and can financially swing it, I could see myself pulling the trigger. Just depends on what is out there at the time and how bad I want a new one. Ha. Who knows.... maybe I will have it for 10-15 years if I really love it - but if I had to guess right now I would say 4-5

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No firm time but I had my half ton Silverado for around 5 years. So possibly around that length? If 5 years from now I want a newer truck and can financially swing it, I could see myself pulling the trigger. Just depends on what is out there at the time and how bad I want a new one. Ha. Who knows.... maybe I will have it for 10-15 years if I really love it - but if I had to guess right now I would say 4-5
If you plan on lifting it or running bigger tires then its worth getting the 4.10 if not then your just throwing money away there are tons of 4.10 hemis out there they are not rare at all

wjcook68

Reaction score
Thanks. What kind of MPG are you getting when not towing?
Driving 'gently' I get an average of 13.7 and that is mixed 75% highway and 25% city driving. If I enjoy the HEMI it goes down to the low 12's. I have a little over 10,000 on the truck now and it has been a real joy to own. My last truck was a 2007 F150 4X4 Extended cab that I bought new and sold it to my father in law at 200,000 miles. This new RAM with the 8 speed gets better gas mileage than that old 4-spd 5.4L Triton did.

b307a1

Reaction score
I agree the 3.73s are the way to go.

If you are going to change things I wouldn't wait. Since your salesman used the word "should" that tells me that he is guessing.

yarnellm

Reaction score
No opinion either way, but I own a 2019 CCLB 6.4 with the 4.10 It runs 2000 RPM at 70mph in 8th gear (not towing) and certainly doesn't 'roar' with RPM's. It's quieter on the highway than my wife's Pacifica. Currently getting 14.5 mpg on my daily commute to work 60 miles round trip. Warm weather this easily goes to 16-16.5mpg. Pulling my 5500lb travel trailer I get right at 10mpg. I certainly do not regret buying my truck with the 4.10 rear axle.

b307a1

Reaction score
I have 3.73s and the best mileage that I have gotten so far with nothing behind it is 14.5. But YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread