Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axle Vents/Breathers

el_barto

Reaction score
Anyone relocated/extended the axle breather/vent tubes yet? Where did you route them do/what materials did you use?
Front breather is ridiculously short, rear is better, but still not great. I think I’ll try to get the front up into the engine bay, rear maybe up by the taillight or gas filler neck?
Any idea on the trans breather too? Didn’t really look to find out last time I was under my truck.

Attachments

• FECAD47C-E52E-4EE4-90FD-9C3F41B9C10E.jpeg
    FECAD47C-E52E-4EE4-90FD-9C3F41B9C10E.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 2F7B2474-7B0F-467E-ADD3-235B5F610130.jpeg
    2F7B2474-7B0F-467E-ADD3-235B5F610130.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 144
  • EE5F4BC6-4305-499A-8870-D4018A3181D4.jpeg
    EE5F4BC6-4305-499A-8870-D4018A3181D4.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 7DC4C7EF-ACD1-472B-883B-DDC286949576.jpeg
    7DC4C7EF-ACD1-472B-883B-DDC286949576.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 141

jupp0r

Reaction score
It’s on my list of things to do. Rear diff goes to the tail light area, everything else into the engine bay. People use 1/4 in fuel line.

There is also transmission and fuel vent hoses as well if you want to go all the way and extend all 5.

I’m looking forward to more infos from people who have actually done this.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Anyone relocated/extended the axle breather/vent tubes yet? Where did you route them do/what materials did you use?
Front breather is ridiculously short, rear is better, but still not great. I think I’ll try to get the front up into the engine bay, rear maybe up by the taillight or gas filler neck?
Any idea on the trans breather too? Didn’t really look to find out last time I was under my truck.

I extended all of mine. I did not add-on to the existing line. I replaced them entirely. Less points of failure and less points for water to get into that way.

Front diff, Trans, Transfer case - These went up to the engine bay and up the firewall on the drivers side. Make sure you leave enough slack for suspension articulation for the front diff (with the sway bar disconnected).
Rear diff - ran up behind the tail light from under the truck. Again, make sure this is routed so the rear can articulate. I just followed the route/slack of the OEM line as a base.

The trans breather sits directly on top of the trans and is pointed straight up a few inches. You won't be able to see it from under the truck. You can barely just see it from the side of the truck.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Tmr customs sells this guy works great no need to run extra vent hose i will never extend a vent line again after using these

Very interesting! I think I'm going to order this for the front diff breather so I don't have to be paranoid about suspension articulation.

Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
I extended all of mine. I did not add-on to the existing line. I replaced them entirely. Less points of failure and less points for water to get into that way.

Front diff, Trans, Transfer case - These went up to the engine bay and up the firewall on the drivers side. Make sure you leave enough slack for suspension articulation for the front diff (with the sway bar disconnected).
Rear diff - ran up behind the tail light from under the truck. Again, make sure this is routed so the rear can articulate. I just followed the route/slack of the OEM line as a base.

The trans breather sits directly on top of the trans and is pointed straight up a few inches. You won't be able to see it from under the truck. You can barely just see it from the side of the truck.
Good info, thanks for sharing! Sounds like the trans breather is at least pretty high already, but definitely want to on the safe side with the ZF trans.
What size hose did you need? 1/4? 3/8”?

Any pictures of the relocated vents in the engine bay?

el_barto

Reaction score
Tmr customs sells this guy works great no need to run extra vent hose i will never extend a vent line again after using these
I would be concerned with this in extreme changes in altitude...If you’ve ever seen a bag of chips at high altitude you’ll understand

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would be concerned with this in extreme changes in altitude...If you’ve ever seen a bag of chips at high altitude you’ll understand
it has an incredible amount of ventilation movement i have freinds out in the rockies high elevation with these that have never had an issue

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

it has an incredible amount of ventilation movement i have freinds out in the rockies high elevation with these that have never had an issue

My main concern is that if water does enter the diff then there is no longer anywhere for it to evaporate to as the diff heats up (no more vent line). That would also mean your diff seal has gone bad (to let water in). Also, make sure you install it in a way that the force of water itself doesn't pull it off.

Knowing that, I went ahead and ordered myself one and will install it.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Good info, thanks for sharing! Sounds like the trans breather is at least pretty high already, but definitely want to on the safe side with the ZF trans.
What size hose did you need? 1/4? 3/8”?

Any pictures of the relocated vents in the engine bay?

I don't remember the size. I just look off the front breather and matched it at the auto store.

No pics right now, sorry.

kobra

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

My use is launching the boat in summer; if the water levels are low I can end up submerging the rear axle. I think this may be a great solution for that.

B

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

My use is launching the boat in summer; if the water levels are low I can end up submerging the rear axle. I think this may be a great solution for that.

B
Idk what part of canada your in but if its in the gta area you can go right to their shop great guys to deal with

kobra

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm out in SK. Appreciate the feedback as there are not a lot of online specialty shops in Canada.

B

noizy21

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the noob question..... What is the purpose of doing this? Is it in the case where your differential is submerged (like launching a boat) and to keep the water from getting in?

jupp0r

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the noob question..... What is the purpose of doing this? Is it in the case where your differential is submerged (like launching a boat) and to keep the water from getting in?

Exactly. Water crossings offroad are problematic for the same reason. When diffs are submerged they cool down, lowering the pressure inside which heightens the probability of water being sucked in if the vent hose exit is in contact with water.

kobra

Reaction score
I never worried about it too much, but after one boating season where I dipped a few more times than normal I changed my rear diff oil. I was glad I did as it was a bit cloudy.
A buddy of mine never did change his on his RAM 1500 but after a few seasons of boat launching he developed a noisy rear diff. He traded it in like that, so I don't know what the repair bill would have been; and I don't want to find out the hard way ;)

B

zblink1888

Reaction score
I did my diffs, t case and trans about a year ago

Just buy a roll 26ft of 3/8 fuel line and some oetiker clamps

Tcase amd front axle up into engine compartment on drivers side

Transmission up into engine comparment on passrnger side to avoid the egr system

And route the rear diff up higher

Dont mess with the bellows they suck

Just resuse the little ball caps or if you wanna get crazier use the arb breatjer filters up in the engine compartment

Users who are viewing this thread