Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Size Calibration, Shift Points and Tire Pressure Adjust(warnings/setpoints)

desert_wagon

Reaction score
First a tuner/calibrator that does the above.
Second, going to 35" tires, does it really affect the shiftpoints?
Third, 35" tires, new setpoints/warnings...again a calibrator or tuner that does this.

Forth, can the dealership just do this and be done with it?

Sorry if this has been asked before but so many different answers out there.

oh and its a 2020 power wagon.

Singlefin

Reaction score
I'm using hypertech to just reprogram tire size and have my TPMS light on, so not ideal. I felt like the truck drove better with the tire size corrected. Been hoping AEV's procal would be updated to support the PW. Some have used it with success.

Tazer RAM and AlfaOBD are options that I know of where you can change tire diameter and TMPS along with a lot of other options, both require a security module to be bypassed. From my understanding the Kaodtech security bypass is the easiest option. Think there is a thread on here about it.

jadmt

Reaction score
I use an aev procal snap on my 2020 power wagon and speedo is calibrated for my toyo 35’s and my psi thershod has been set to 45 psi which means the warning won’t trigger until they drop below 33psi.

jadmt

Reaction score
You need to call aev and ask. the inventor of the pro cal told me on Thursday it shoud be ready as he gave them the code for the power wagons a long time ago.

desert_wagon

Reaction score
I use an aev procal snap on my 2020 power wagon and speedo is calibrated for my toyo 35’s and my psi thershod has been set to 45 psi which means the warning won’t trigger until they drop below 33psi.
So just the procal snap or does it need the security module bypass as well?

I will probably call aev Monday as well.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Does the Procal set the shift points like it did with the JKs?

jadmt

Reaction score
Does the Procal set the shift points like it did with the JKs?
yes it does. I used the procal on jks since 2012. the snap does not use dip switches but uses the radio controls to set it but basically works the same way. your shift points use speed as one of the calculations for shifting so it makes a difference. Does not get far enough into the computer to void warranty. it is nice not having the tpms senor warning if you want to run lower psi.

Last edited:

Squatch

Reaction score
In my experience the dealer is very little help for something like this and they will likely tell you it is not possible. I used the AEV snap on my 3500, it comes with the bypass harness and is an easy job. Just use the actual measure of the tire diameter with a tape cause the specs vary quite a bit from what is posted on the tire or even what the manufacturer of the tire states it is. Also, the pictures of where to connect the bypass harness in the AEV directions were not the same as what I found under my dash and at first I had the connector in the wrong spot, connect it to the set of connectors that is closest to the driver when looking up under there. It did some weird stuff until I figured that out.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I've used the PC in the JK for a lil while now. Just recently saw AEV had something for the Ram so I'm interested in feedback on it as well. Thanks!

jadmt

Reaction score
As @Jimmy07 has pointed out before, the Procal harness is not setup to bypass the SGM the same way as a KOAdTECH cable or similar and won't work for all functions available in AlfaOBD if yo later decide to use it.
but it does do everything the OP stated he wants to do.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
but it does do everything the OP stated he wants to do.

Did not indicate it didn't, just making a point for the OP to consider.

FWIW, nothing short of a tune is going to change shift points, also in the OP post.

jadmt

Reaction score
Did not indicate it didn't, just making a point for the OP to consider.

FWIW, nothing short of a tune is going to change shift points, also in the OP post.
maybe better verbage on my part would be it restores the shift points to where they were with stock size tires and where RAM intended them to be which is what the procal does when calibrating the speedo for increased tire size. I definitely noticed a difference as did my buddy who got one shortly after I did and he had been running 35's for a while before getting the snap. I only ran 35's for a short time before recalibrating mine.

Singlefin

Reaction score
Ordered the AEV procal. Returned hypertech to stock. Did procal settings. No tpms light, all good.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
One thing to note with the AEV procal, make sure you don’t have the audio page hidden in the gauge cluster display. That page is necessary for the operation. The audio page in the cluster is where you will see the error codes etc.

I had the Audio page hidden/deselected. Maybe it always was hidden or maybe i deselected it when i first got the truck.. anyway when I tried to calibrate the first time I ended up with all the check engine lights. No traction control, no backup cam, no 4x4, no speedometer etc etc. basically fubar’d everything.

a reset to defaults with the procal and tried again after finding the audio page and everything worked perfectly

kobra

Reaction score
I've gone from the OEM 285/60R20 to 295/70R18, which if I have it right is about 2.5% larger. Is this enough of a difference to make a difference?

BTW, I can't find the AEV Procal Snap in stock anywhere

Thanks!
B

Users who are viewing this thread