Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Time Buying a Hitch: Need Recommendations

jmc512

Reaction score
Given the pandemic, we found that camping was a great way to spend time together as a family. I also enjoyed seeing my boys outdoors and doing "other" activities. But I did NOT enjoy sleeping in a tent when it was 90 degrees until midnight. So, I picked up a 2020 2500 with intentions to rent travel trailers to see what we like. Then after 6 months to a year and we frequent camping, possibly pick up our own. BUT...next steps, I need to pick up a hitch so I can actually tow something.

Issues/Questions
1. I read about WDH and sway control. A friend tells me that I shouldn't need a WDH because I have a 2500 but I'm not sure about sway control. I thought I read that the truck has sway control built in (or perhaps it's just assistance). Given this, do I need WDH? Sway control? Neither and just get a drop hitch?

2. If I can do it with a drop hitch, what size drop should I be looking at? I'm a 6.4 CC SB. Stock suspension on stock tires. (Laramie night edition)

3. Can the WDH part be used minus the bars? Will that cause issue or damage to the hitch?

4. From what I understand, the WDH has to be set for each TT you tow. And if I'm renting for a bit, that means I would have to set it for each trailer I rent and tow (sounds like a pain). Is there an easier way to do this? Better stated, is there a more efficient way to do this?

I believe it's obvious I don't have experience in this field but I'm hoping to learn more and get recommendations based upon the conversation we can get going here.

To note, the trailer size will be in the range of 6k-8k. I can't imagine needing more than that (family of 6). I'm also looking forward to any feedback for a first time tower/renter.

Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Given the pandemic, we found that camping was a great way to spend time together as a family. I also enjoyed seeing my boys outdoors and doing "other" activities. But I did NOT enjoy sleeping in a tent when it was 90 degrees until midnight. So, I picked up a 2020 2500 with intentions to rent travel trailers to see what we like. Then after 6 months to a year and we frequent camping, possibly pick up our own. BUT...next steps, I need to pick up a hitch so I can actually tow something.

Issues/Questions
1. I read about WDH and sway control. A friend tells me that I shouldn't need a WDH because I have a 2500 but I'm not sure about sway control. I thought I read that the truck has sway control built in (or perhaps it's just assistance). Given this, do I need WDH? Sway control? Neither and just get a drop hitch?

2. If I can do it with a drop hitch, what size drop should I be looking at? I'm a 6.4 CC SB. Stock suspension on stock tires. (Laramie night edition)

3. Can the WDH part be used minus the bars? Will that cause issue or damage to the hitch?

4. From what I understand, the WDH has to be set for each TT you tow. And if I'm renting for a bit, that means I would have to set it for each trailer I rent and tow (sounds like a pain). Is there an easier way to do this? Better stated, is there a more efficient way to do this?

I believe it's obvious I don't have experience in this field but I'm hoping to learn more and get recommendations based upon the conversation we can get going here.

To note, the trailer size will be in the range of 6k-8k. I can't imagine needing more than that (family of 6). I'm also looking forward to any feedback for a first time tower/renter.

Thanks.
Most rentals wont have the anti sway bar ball on them so thats out, and most are weighted right to have more tongue weight so it wont sway anyway, i just run a curt adjustable drop hitch with the dual balls set it so the trailer is level (2 quick pins on hitch) and you should be good if you get over 1000lbs tongue weight then start looking at a wd hitch

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Bulletproof hitches. They're spendy, but come with a lifetime warranty and with the different attachment options they're really flexible as well. I use the pintle attachment for my military surplus utility trailer, the weight distribution block for whatever trailers we rent throughout camping/hunting seasons (usually a 5-10 minute swap to add their setup to my shank) and the dual ball setup for a variety of trailers in between.

BAT3500

Reaction score
I found on my old stock 2500 a 5 -6" drop hitch was required to get most trailers ride level, boats, utility flat beds, cargo, etc. You are looking for the bottom of the hitch to about 16" to 19" above the ground in most cases. i would suggest just getting a cheap hitch from somewhere for now until you settle on trailer size/type or actually buy one. Then adjust or upgrade your hitch accordingly.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I've noticed that most of the larger bumper pull RV rentals actually come with the hitch, many including weight distribution and/or sway control.

roegs

Reaction score
Some of this will depend on what size travel trailer you are looking at. Something super small may not need weight distribution. I personally would not tow anything of decent size without a WD hitch. It just makes the trip that much more enjoyable. You are camping to relax, not stress out. My two travel trailers were 24 ft and 29 ft. Both needed WD in my opinion. To properly set up the hitch, I always stopped at CAT scales. While you could be fine towing without WD, just one bad sway episode can ruin your day.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some of this will depend on what size travel trailer you are looking at. Something super small may not need weight distribution. I personally would not tow anything of decent size without a WD hitch. It just makes the trip that much more enjoyable. You are camping to relax, not stress out. My two travel trailers were 24 ft and 29 ft. Both needed WD in my opinion. To properly set up the hitch, I always stopped at CAT scales. While you could be fine towing without WD, just one bad sway episode can ruin your day.
Wd hitch is not for sway an anti sway bar is for sway and aslong as there is good tongue weight you wont have sway the only trailers i have had sway are ones that are almost center balanced.... i have pulled lots of 15k park models with just my 21k rated regular everyday hitch many kms without even The slightest hiccup

Last edited:

roegs

Reaction score
Wd hitch is not for sway an anti sway bar is for sway and aslong as there is good tongue weight you wont have sway.....
Gotta disagree. They work in combination. One of the main purposes of a WD hitch is to get weight back on the steer axle when heavy tongue weight is applied to the trailer hitch. A sway bar is then used in addition if you still have issues. Using an anti sway bar without WD hitch will basically do nothing.

jmc512

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm curious if there is a drop hitch that I can build from.

Let's say I get the drop hitch now to try it out. If it's determined I need to do WD, then I could just buy the WD piece to tie into the drop hitch shank. Towing anything else, just put the ball (not WD) back on the drop hitch shank.

Or are there sway bars to add without WD? Sounds like from above that's not ideal.

I don't want to drill into the frame of the travel trailer as if I rent (and it doesn't come with a WD hitch), I don't want to damage their trailer. So it would have to bolt around the frame. And it's possible I'm making this process entirely too complicated!!!!! (I do that)

How long does a WD hitch take to setup?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Gotta disagree. They work in combination. One of the main purposes of a WD hitch is to get weight back on the steer axle when heavy tongue weight is applied to the trailer hitch. A sway bar is then used in addition if you still have issues. Using an anti sway bar without WD hitch will basically do nothing.
That is not true a sway bar works wonders on its own i used to use one on my old jeep with a tent trailer that was almost center balanced without the sway bar the trailer would sway all over ..... and trailer sway is mainly from lack of weight on the tongue of the trailer if you have enough weight to take that much weight off your steer axle you have the wrong truck for that trailer

Xflight29

Reaction score
Besides equipment problems, sway can also be caused by issues that are encountered while on the road like speeding or being passed by a semi-tractor and trailer and wind. Rule of thumb is to reduce your speed by 20 percent when hauling a large trailer.

roegs

Reaction score
OP....this whole WD hitch / sway control topic has been going on in RV forums for years. Unfortunately there is no 'one size fits all' answer. There are many youtube videos and forums dedicated to RV's that you can take a look at. There are people that will dead ball their travel trailers (just connect to a standard hitch) and swear there are no problems. Typically this happens with those that have larger 2500 / 3500 longbox trucks. Since you'll be renting, you'll have various trailer weights and lengths. Its all about physics. If you apply weight on one end of a lever, you gotta keep in mind what happens at the other end. Longer wheelbase trucks have less impact. The WD hitches that I'm familiar with all have adjustable height. I'm not aware of any that build off a standard drop hitch - but just because I'm not aware does not mean it does not exist. There are multiple WD hitches out there that have built in sway control. Equalizer and Reese Dual Cam are just a couple of them. I've personally used Reese Dual Cam and had very good luck with it. Spend a few hours searching and reading...that will help you get to a good starting point. Don't cheap-out though. Keep in mind this is your family and you're towing a 3-4 ton wind sail behind you down the freeway at 60 - 70 mph.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
there is no reason to over pay for a hitch they are all engineered with a weight rating for a reason no need to buy the most expensive ones that does not mean its safer buy a quality steel adjustable like this curt i use and never look back

Attachments

• 013E1D4D-2F35-45D6-A02C-D9AD54857DC4.png
    013E1D4D-2F35-45D6-A02C-D9AD54857DC4.png
    952.5 KB · Views: 39

Jozzz

Reaction score
I drop pull enclosed trailers daily that range from 8k-10k. Pull vehicle is a 2500 mega cab 6.7L 4x4 ORP. I use the Bulletproof all over Tampa area with zero sway at 75mph on I75. Very stable and no slop in the hitch at all. Their hitches have a lot of options, including sway control. Not discounting WD, as it has it’s advantages, but not necessary for my application.

4189c048abc5ca49213ac69388b9b19f.jpg

984b480926c243a6940a8d43e25b40de.jpg

1f18b0fc4d41c18b6f392a1eca151ab9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just for reference here is just one of the many 15-18k park models i have towed with just an everyday drop hitch..... that old truck was rated less than the new one still the same results with my 19 2500

Attachments

• F91D83A9-9805-4F5E-93D6-BB7D0A14E3AA.jpeg
    F91D83A9-9805-4F5E-93D6-BB7D0A14E3AA.jpeg
    900.4 KB · Views: 60

Aketay

Reaction score
Works for me, granted I have bagged the rear for level towing.

Attachments

• 7741059D-31F1-4DF8-B9B0-3A700CD3A092.jpeg
    7741059D-31F1-4DF8-B9B0-3A700CD3A092.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 24F3865D-9C1B-4825-9DE1-ABC8FC09ACC5.jpeg
    24F3865D-9C1B-4825-9DE1-ABC8FC09ACC5.jpeg
    978.2 KB · Views: 67

Wrapdev

Reaction score
I drop pull enclosed trailers daily that range from 8k-10k. Pull vehicle is a 2500 mega cab 6.7L 4x4 ORP. I use the Bulletproof all over Tampa area with zero sway at 75mph on I75. Very stable and no slop in the hitch at all. Their hitches have a lot of options, including sway control. Not discounting WD, as it has it’s advantages, but not necessary for my application.

4189c048abc5ca49213ac69388b9b19f.jpg

984b480926c243a6940a8d43e25b40de.jpg

1f18b0fc4d41c18b6f392a1eca151ab9.jpg

Do your rear parking sensors go off ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobohio

Reaction score
I'd like to know where I could rent a 5th wheel or TT for vacation...going from Arizona to Montana if anyone can help

Issues/Questions

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread