Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog hair proofing a Crew Cab ?

OuterUB

Reaction score
My 2022 Big Horn is a few weeks away... and it's coming with cloth seats... and we a VERY hairy dog !

Any recommendations for a second row dog hammock ?

Nick

Reaction score
I use one of those covers that you buy on line that snap behind your head rests . I also use a harness and a dog chain collar that I connect to the harness and use a large threaded link and attach ti to the head rest . The dog can move around and lay down . It keeps him from becoming a 4 legged projectile in an emergency situation.

OuterUB

Reaction score
I use one of those covers that you buy on line that snap behind your head rests . I also use a harness and a dog chain collar that I connect to the harness and use a large threaded link and attach ti to the head rest . The dog can move around and lay down . It keeps him from becoming a 4 legged projectile in an emergency situation.
Definitely. Never good to have 65lbs of unconstrained dog in the back seat!

OuterUB

Reaction score
Anybody know off hand whether the Crew Cab would require the XL or XXL cover?

OuterUB

Reaction score
I also have one of these that work great. Bought it in 2014 and we rv 4 months of each year. Under this I use old sheets to further trap hair from traveling around the cab.
Excellent idea ..... I'm about to pay $225 dollars to a detailer to scrape out the dog hair from my carpets in my 2017 thats going bye bye .....

Branog

Reaction score
We have two labs (a yellow and a chocolate) and I say the yellow lab should be bald with the amount of fur he seems to lose when he's riding in the truck. Thanks for the pic and suggestions for the second row covers.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Excellent idea ..... I'm about to pay $225 dollars to a detailer to scrape out the dog hair from my carpets in my 2017 thats going bye bye .....
Will not do for real detail job, but for initial cleanup i periodically open the doors at home and use my electric leaf blower for the initial pass at cleaning. I also use one of the covers similar to the previous posts. These covers tend to contain the hair a good bit and the blower gets at least 80-90% of the remaining hair out of the truck.

OuterUB

Reaction score
We have two labs (a yellow and a chocolate) and I say the yellow lab should be bald with the amount of fur he seems to lose when he's riding in the truck. Thanks for the pic and suggestions for the second row covers.
Haaaaaaaahahaha... Should be bald

OuterUB

Reaction score
Will not do for real detail job, but for initial cleanup i periodically open the doors at home and use my electric leaf blower for the initial pass at cleaning. I also use one of the covers similar to the previous posts. These covers tend to contain the hair a good bit and the blower gets at least 80-90% of the remaining hair out of the truck.
Excellent idea

el_barto

Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to get this for a while…covers all the carpet with canvas which is easier to defur. I probably wouldn’t use the floor piece though since I have mats, but everything else seems useful.
EE5D0282-6876-46F6-884D-2205A606A833.jpeg

Also, I bought a “Lily” brush a while back, I works magic for removing fur from the carpeted and fabric surfaces in the truck. Also good at home for couches, etc. I have a short haired GSD mix, so the fine down undercoat fur gets everywhere…especially during shedding season.

OuterUB

Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to get this for a while…covers all the carpet with canvas which is easier to defur. I probably wouldn’t use the floor piece though since I have mats, but everything else seems useful.
View attachment 30767

Also, I bought a “Lily” brush a while back, I works magic for removing fur from the carpeted and fabric surfaces in the truck. Also good at home for couches, etc. I have a short haired GSD mix, so the fine down undercoat fur gets everywhere…especially during shedding season.
That's a NICE looking system !

Reaction score
View attachment 30767

I bought this for when my German shedder is riding with me and I've gotta say this was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I also got the canvas divider to keep him from getting up on the center console. Some hair still gets in the carpet between the bpillar and seats but overall this has been so easy to help keep the hair under control.

Also a quick vacuum weekly helps a lot as well.

TosaInu

Reaction score
I originally posted this on 5thgenrams.com before I realized I was not in the "HD" forum but in any case, reposting here for those who choose to transport dogs (or heaven forbid some nasty cats) with the seats up, using the flat fold out platform.

I have tried so many dog hammocks that it is ridiculous, I even made my own at one point. Most hammocks, even when they say they are designed for crew cab trucks, are not wide enough (front to back) even if they are long enough (door to door). Most seem to be designed as though you will use them with the seats down, rather than using the fold out platform with the seats up. When I purchased my new 3500 about two weeks ago, I swore to do everything I can to keep my truck as clean of dog hair as possible even though with my 185-pound Mastiff, that will prove to be difficult. The best hammock I had previously found was this one:

The length (door to door) was really good as it was just about the same length as the fold out platform, however, the width (front to back) was still pretty bad. I had to extend the straps in order to even get it to rest on the platform but even then, the width just looked very confined for my large dog. I will say, if you are on a budget, this one isn't a horrible option but just be warned that it's nowhere close to being perfect.

Anyway, I recently got this one:

Obviously, this is not the cheapest hammock but my oh my, it is as close to perfect as I have found, and the quality is way better than any other hammock I have owned (guessing I have owned close to a dozen at this point). This one also extends the full length of the platform but also the full width of the platform as well. The straps and buckles are probably 2-3 times as thick as standard, and I don't anticipate any buckles breaking anytime soon. You still won't get "full coverage" up the front and rear seats, but I am pretty sure at this point that a hammock like that doesn't exist unless you custom make one. Anyway, this is not an advertisement (I know I am new so questions may be asked) but just passing along my review. This is far and away the best hammock I have used for a Ram crew cab, no questions asked.

For the record, I owned my previous 2017 Ram 2500 for just over 7 years and likely tried out at least 5 hammocks for comparison. If you can stomach the $135 for this one I think you will be impressed (likely not as great for a Mega Cab). I still plan on putting down a layer under this hammock as well since it seems, no matter what I use, my beast of a dog still ends up getting a ton of hair into places that just don't seem possible.

This is my Amazon review on this hammock, along with the same pictures I have attached here in case I left out any details.

Attachments

• 20240305_171400.jpg
    20240305_171400.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240305_170706.jpg
    20240305_170706.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240305_170645.jpg
    20240305_170645.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240305_170638.jpg
    20240305_170638.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240305_170614.jpg
    20240305_170614.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 14

Outdoordb

Reaction score
My 2022 Big Horn is a few weeks away... and it's coming with cloth seats... and we a VERY hairy dog !

Any recommendations for a second row dog hammock ?
I just got Ruff Liners I got the XL and fits great. Door to door seat to seat.

Attachments

• Picture223.jpg
    Picture223.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture224.jpg
    Picture224.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 9

Limey

Reaction score
We got this and are very happy with it - so are the dogs!! :)
URPOWER Dog Seat - Amazon

URPOWER 6-in-1 Dog Car Seat Cover for Back Seat, Waterproof Dog Car Hammock 40/60 Split Dog Seat Cover with Mesh Window and Side Flap Pets Car Seat Protector Dog Backseat Cover for Car, SUV, Truck​

Users who are viewing this thread