Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody running 15-40 in 19+ CTD

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Like the title says, is anyone running 15-40 oil in their 19+ Ram Cummins truck? Just curious as there are synthetic 15-40’s that should not have a problem with deposits in the hydraulic lifters like a cheap dino oil. Most of the synthetic 15-40’s are thinner than their dino counterparts also. Just curious. TIA

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Like the title says, is anyone running 15-40 oil in their 19+ Ram Cummins truck? Just curious as there are synthetic 15-40’s that should not have a problem with deposits in the hydraulic lifters like a cheap dino oil. Most of the synthetic 15-40’s are thinner than their dino counterparts also. Just curious. TIA

I’ve thought about that scenario with good synthetics, such as Amsoil Signature 15w-40 as it would probably be fine, but it’s not worth it when 5w-40 will work and be just fine.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I was wondering if the 15-40 might have less volatility and maybe not quite as much vapor being pulled in to the turbo through the CCV.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
On paper that’s 100% true, but at the oil temps most engines operate at I don’t think it’s as drastic as the spec sheets show. The standard ATSM D5800 is done at 250°C, but our oil doesn’t get that hot. Likely not above 110-115°C very often and certainly not for 60 minutes at a time like the test is ran.

The oil I run, Amsoil 5w-40 HD Diesel oil ADO, has a NOACK Volatility rating of 9.2%. The same series oil in 15w-40 is only 3.6%.

Time will tell, but I haven’t seen any difference in oil consumption between 15w-40 in my 2018 and 5w-40 in my 2022.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
On paper that’s 100% true, but at the oil temps most engines operate at I don’t think it’s as drastic as the spec sheets show. The standard ATSM D5800 is done at 250°C, but our oil doesn’t get that hot. Likely not above 110-115°C very often and certainly not for 60 minutes at a time like the test is ran.

The oil run, Amsoil 5w-40 HD Diesel oil ADO, has a NOACK Volatility rating of 9.2%. The same series oil in 15w-40 is only 3.6%.

Time will tell, but I haven’t seen any difference in oil consumption between 15w-40 in my 2018 and 5w-40 in my 2022.
I’m running T6 5-40 in mine and I have had no consumption so far that I can tell and haven’t had any unexplainable regen issues. Currently have 22 hours since my last regen and the DPF gauge is on zero but I wondered if it might help some who are having issues. Things to ponder when you are retired.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
But. My truck does seem to regen sooner after an oil change using the same oil. I don’t know if it is somehow a different drive cycle or just coincidence. Only just now turned 10k miles so not a lot of data to compare. So far it’s been doing great and the shortest time I’ve had between regens after switching fuel brands has been 20 hours.
I’m thinking seriously about switching oil brands and see if there is any correlation between regen frequency and the volatility. The T6 I think is around 12-14%.

56ram2500

Reaction score
I’m running T6 5-40 in mine and I have had no consumption so far that I can tell and haven’t had any unexplainable regen issues. Currently have 22 hours since my last regen and the DPF gauge is on zero but I wondered if it might help some who are having issues. Things to ponder when you are retired.
My last oil run I used T-6 5w40 ( prior to that I ran it for years in my 06 5.9) but will not run it again in my 22 being the 100c Viscosity was down to 10.2 from 14.6 in just 4743 miles on the oil, guess it couldn't handle the 4.7% fuel in the oil

OLEJOE

Reaction score
My last oil run I used T-6 5w40 ( prior to that I ran it for years in my 06 5.9) but will not run it again in my 22 being the 100c Viscosity was down to 10.2 from 14.6 in just 4743 miles on the oil, guess it couldn't handle the 4.7% fuel in the oil
I don’t think any 5-40 or 10-30 can handle that much fuel dilution. That’s light 30 weight range. That’s why I wondered if anyone was trying or running a synthetic 15-40 in the 19+ trucks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

What are you going to run? The other recommended viscosity, 10w-30, will fare much worse with that much fuel in the oil.

FWIW, Cummins states 5% fuel dilution max for these engines.

But. My truck does seem to regen sooner after an oil change using the same oil. I don’t know if it is somehow a different drive cycle or just coincidence. Only just now turned 10k miles so not a lot of data to compare. So far it’s been doing great and the shortest time I’ve had between regens after switching fuel brands has been 20 hours.
I’m thinking seriously about switching oil brands and see if there is any correlation between regen frequency and the volatility. The T6 I think is around 12-14%.

I’ve only done 2 oil changes in the 21K miles on my truck, but there haven’t been any unusual regens following either oil change.

T6 has a 12.8% NOACK volatility from what I can find, which is higher than the other 5w-40’s I’ve looked at.

56ram2500

Reaction score
What are you going to run? The other recommended viscosity, 10w-30, will fare much worse with that much fuel in the oil.

FWIW, Cummins states 5% fuel dilution max for these engines.

I’ve only done 2 oil changes in the 21K miles on my truck, but there haven’t been any unusual regens following either oil change.

T6 has a 12.8% NOACK volatility from what I can find, which is higher than the other 5w-40’s I’ve looked at.
Right now it running Amsoil ADO 5w40, I will be doing its first UOA shortly as it only has around 1785 miles on the oil, I still don't understand the why, other than its recommended :rolleyes:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now it running Amsoil ADO 5w40, I will be doing its first UOA shortly as it only has around 1785 miles on the oil, I still don't understand the why, other than its recommended :rolleyes:

Understand which “why”?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Why change and why do they think it will be better an make a difference, think I spent to much time around my grand kid asking why so much :eek:

Changing the oil will get rid of the fuel.

Changing the brand may or may have an effect on viscosity with nearly 5% fuel.

The important thing is that brand of oil should have no impact on fuel making its way into the oil, and Cummins states 5% max fuel dilution for the ISB.

How many miles on the previous oil at 4.7%.

Any frequent regen issues?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 19 i have run 15k mile oil changes always 5w40 and the oil is always at the same level when i change it as when i filled the truck. 5w40 is a better oil where i am in the winter anyway

56ram2500

Reaction score
Changing the oil will get rid of the fuel.

Changing the brand may or may have an effect on viscosity with nearly 5% fuel.

The important thing is that brand of oil should have no impact on fuel making its way into the oil, and Cummins states 5% max fuel dilution for the ISB.

How many miles on the previous oil at 4.7%.

Any frequent regen issues?
4473 total miles on oil... BTW the >4.7% fuel in did not faze the service manager, at first he tried to blame it on my oil, it was there Rotella T-6 oil in the uoa report not my Amsoil they had just installed EDIT: yes had some regens have been as low as 350 miles this last one almost 800 ( that I know of it could have regen without me knowing) but one trip was 450 miles non stop trip

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 19 i have run 15k mile oil changes always 5w40 and the oil is always at the same level when i change it as when i filled the truck. 5w40 is a better oil where i am in the winter anyway

Better in summer too, if you’re towing.

4473 total miles on oil... BTW the >4.7% fuel in did not faze the service manager, at first he tried to blame it on my oil, it was there Rotella T-6 oil in the uoa report not my Amsoil they had just installed EDIT: yes had some regens have been as low as 350 miles this last one almost 800 ( that I know of it could have regen without me knowing) but one trip was 450 miles non stop trip

Fuel dilution is not the oils fault.

Track hours between regens, as that’s what the ECM uses in addition to soot loading.

56ram2500

Reaction score
Better in summer too, if you’re towing.

Fuel dilution is not the oils fault.

Track hours between regens, as that’s what the ECM uses in addition to soot loading.
How many hours between regens does EN+MC look at or use? As I said my dealer is totally Clueless, they had no answer when I asked this question.. If I just had a passive regen on the hwy, why then then about 15 miles later when I notice the regen sound & smell in city driving to then check the EVIC see auto regen in progress, as I said they had no answer or clue as to why....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
How many hours between regens does EN+MC look at or use? As I said my dealer is totally Clueless, they had no answer when I asked this question.. If I just had a passive regen on the hwy, why then then about 15 miles later when I notice the regen sound & smell in city driving to then check the EVIC see auto regen in progress, as I said they had no answer or clue as to why....

Active regen is activated by one of two things.

Time, at most 24 hours since the last active regen complete.

Soot loading, which is indicated by ~45% on the EVIC DPF gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread