Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T Tire that's good for wet traction

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Is there even such a tire that exists? I've had Duratracs, Wildpeaks, and now Recon Grapplers from Nitto. These Recon Grapplers are the worst tires I've ever had. When it rains it feels like I'm riding with WD-40 on my treads. My Wildpeaks were pretty good, but the treads started cracking at around 30k miles. And Duratracs were bad and slippy around 15-20k on my last truck. I'm looking for an occasional off-road tire and good wet traction. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The 20" Goodyears that came on my '21 3500 High Country seemed fine. I believe they were Trailrunners.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there even such a tire that exists? I've had Duratracs, Wildpeaks, and now Recon Grapplers from Nitto. These Recon Grapplers are the worst tires I've ever had. When it rains it feels like I'm riding with WD-40 on my treads. My Wildpeaks were pretty good, but the treads started cracking at around 30k miles. And Duratracs were bad and slippy around 15-20k on my last truck. I'm looking for an occasional off-road tire and good wet traction. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Copper AT3 XLT’s.

Which Duratrac’s did you have? The 3PMSF version?

If I get 30-35K out of a set of tires on my trucks I’m happy, but that’s lots of off-road towing. This is also why I buy my main tires with a mileage warranty.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Copper AT3 XLT’s.

Which Duratrac’s did you have? The 3PMSF version?

If I get 30K out of a set of tires on my trucks I’m happy, but that’s lots of off-road towing.
I had the 3 mountain peak snowflake, yes. Great when I lived in rural PA in the snow. Not so great out of the snow.

Finn5033

Reaction score
I will second the Cooper AT3 XLT. I have them right now. It’s been raining where I live for 4 days straight and I haven’t had any slippage issues. They are 3 peak rated and a great looking tire

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I edited after you responded:

Great when I lived in rural PA in the snow. Not so great out of the snow.

I’m surprised they work good in the snow but not in the rain.

What do you run for tire pressure?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Were the Wildpeaks you had the old AT or the AT3W?

There’s a big difference, and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone complain about the at3w.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Were the Wildpeaks you had the old AT or the AT3W?

There’s a big difference, and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone complain about the at3w.
I had the AT3W.
Tread blocks were cracking where the blocks meet the tire.

Attachments

• cracked 1.jpg
    cracked 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 66
  • cracked 2.jpg
    cracked 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 66
  • cracked 3.jpg
    cracked 3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66

jsalbre

Reaction score
Weird, I’ve never seen that happen before on those.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Maybe a year and a half. As you can see the tread wasn't that low on them. It perplexed me because of the great rep these tires had and they had been really good up until I noticed that. I have a set on my wifes Wagoneer so we'll see how long those last.

unclelala

Reaction score
I had my Toyo Open Country AT3 now since November and around 7,000 miles. I'm not gonna say they are the
best tire in the world BUT they tow well, they are very good in our snow up here, in the summer
I have no skidding or slipping on the wet roads, so I got to say they have been a good all around tire.
They also are wearing very evenly, even the rears after a pretty hardy towing season.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Toyo's are what I need next. Consensus seems to be good on them here.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe a year and a half. As you can see the tread wasn't that low on them. It perplexed me because of the great rep these tires had and they had been really good up until I noticed that. I have a set on my wifes Wagoneer so we'll see how long those last.

What was the date code on them? Did you get them warranty replaced?

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Toyo's are what I need next. Consensus seems to be good on them here.

I’ll personally never buy another Toyo. Worst tires I’ve ever owned. Overpriced and severely underperforming. 25K miles and they were 4/32 where they pretty much stayed for 15K miles with unsafe traction. It was summer and I wanted a mileage refund, it was dumb. Dad got 16K out of his first set and 24K out of the warranty replacements.

I’ve heard better things about them lately, but they were such crap when I ran them that I’m not willing to give them another penny.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
What was the date code on them? Did you get them warranty replaced?

I’ll personally never buy another Toyo. Worst tires I’ve ever owned. Overpriced and severely underperforming. 25K miles and they were 4/32 where they pretty much stayed for 15K miles with unsafe traction. It was summer and I wanted a mileage refund, it was dumb. Dad got 16K out of his first set and 24K out of the warranty replacements.

I’ve heard better things about them lately, but they were such crap when I ran them that I’m not willing to give them another penny.
I just considered it a lost lesson learned. I've dealt with "warranty" on other things throughout my life. The hassle and time isn't worth it. Plus I moved out of state so the place that put them on wasn't around anymore.

BTW I meant the Cooper Discoverer not the Toyo. I have been hearing and reading good things about the Coopers.

Kldugas

Reaction score
I have Cooper rugged trek and just turned 30k on them still above 2/3 tread showing very good in light off road and have very good traction in wet situations.

Attachments

• 20211211_112538.jpg
    20211211_112538.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 56

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Cooper rugged trek and just turned 30k on them still above 2/3 tread showing very good in light off road and have very good traction in wet situations.

How much towing do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread