Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filled DEF for first time - DEF gauge shows zero then 100 percent and check engine light on

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have a cattle farm and have had lots of Crap and pee and after birth on me and none of those could eat a whole through concrete Luke that nasty def junk.

As far as all def is the same, I would have to politely disagree. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I look at it like, not all oil, gas, fuel, food, clothes quality is the same. Sure there genetic make ups are all pretty much the same, every manufacture has there own recipe ( per say), so they can set there products to compare to other manufacturers and say this is why were better. I don't think I'd be going to far out on a limb to also say, probably most people have there favorite ( whatever, you name it), most folks get certain products because they believe for what ever reason that product is of better quality than other like products.
In saying all that, I'm the guy who will only use rotella t oil and shell fuel. I'll only drink great value soda and eat Oscar meyer dogs . For 40+ years I've only worn dickey work pants. So as you can tell, I'm a firm believer in the old adage of all things are not created equal. Whatever that equal bottom line is, is up to each individual to decide. MOPAR DEF ONLY IN MY TRUCK, , unless I can't find a dealer that sells the 2.5 gal jug. Thats why I always start looking for one once i get to half a tank full, then put it in once i get down to a quarter

Does MOPAR make their own oil. No.

MOPAR will have regional contracts to bottle DEF from one or more of the following mfr... IMHO, huge waste of money to pay an egregious price for MOPAR DEF.

List of licensed manufacturers and the brands sold under (extensive.)

All are ISO 22241 certified and licensed.

List of brands from just this one mfr: https://dieselexhaust.api.org/Directory/DefResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10060&resultsUrl=/Directory/DefResults?accountId=-1

AdBlue
Alliance DEF
AutoZone DEF
BlueAg
BlueDEF
BlueMax
CARQUEST DEF
CNH
Fleetpride OTR
High DEF
KleenDEF
NAPA
PRODEF
Race Pro
Road Choice DEF
Talon
Titan
Traveller DEF
Victory Blue
BlueDEF

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

I used to have a cattle farm and have had lots of Crap and pee and after birth on me and none of those could eat a whole through concrete Luke that nasty def junk.

As far as all def is the same, I would have to politely disagree. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I look at it like, not all oil, gas, fuel, food, clothes quality is the same. Sure there genetic make ups are all pretty much the same, every manufacture has there own recipe ( per say), so they can set there products to compare to other manufacturers and say this is why were better. I don't think I'd be going to far out on a limb to also say, probably most people have there favorite ( whatever, you name it), most folks get certain products because they believe for what ever reason that product is of better quality than other like products.
In saying all that, I'm the guy who will only use rotella t oil and shell fuel. I'll only drink great value soda and eat Oscar meyer dogs . For 40+ years I've only worn dickey work pants. So as you can tell, I'm a firm believer in the old adage of all things are not created equal. Whatever that equal bottom line is, is up to each individual to decide. MOPAR DEF ONLY IN MY TRUCK, , unless I can't find a dealer that sells the 2.5 gal jug. Thats why I always start looking for one once i get to half a tank full, then put it in once i get down to a quarter
I totally understand where you are coming from,and in most cases I would agree there is a difference. I was in the paint business, is paint paint? Heck no, big difference in raw materials and quality of formulations, resins, pigments, and binders. Motor oil, tires, etc., I agree. Red Wing or Danner US made boots for me. In this case, though, the API sets the formula percentages of two prescribed, and ONLY ingredients, and there is ZERO room whatsoever to fiddle with the formula, or enhance it.

Last edited by a moderator:

carlrx7

Reaction score
PH value of Urea is 5.5. Which means it can be considered acidic. But in no way will it eat off concrete. Diesel Exhaust Fluid by spec has a PH of 9.5. Which is not acidic at all, slightly alkaline. I think someone played a trick on @Rich and spilled some Muriatic Acid on the ground. I don't expect any of this to change anyones mind. I'll stick to a brand that's under $15 for 2.5 gallons

Squatch

Reaction score

Good god man, you don’t stray from Oscar Meyer hot dogs! There’s a whole great big world out there!

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Like i said, and ill stait again. These are our own personnel opinions and were all entitled to them, nobody is wrong. We all know what opinions are like and we all have one of those. And some are also right were these posts won't change minds. I have seen def eat through concrete and anything else that it touches for long term durations. Also Did some of my examples stray a little bit, yes they did. I'm trying to prove a point. even if you take just items that are mopar or fca brand, all company's have there own marketing of 1 little thing that sets them apart and makes them better. Thats what's so great about the chat forum. No one person has all the answers or a complete list, there's always going to be another point of view we didn't hear from or another brand that didn't make the list. My final point stands, i bought a high end vehicle and I will only use high end fluids to service it with, not from Wal-Mart. Others are free to choose there own and we all can voice our opinions. Now my fruit of the loom underwear boxers, ill stick with Wally world, those don't need to be high end.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Been traveling for the last wk now, so all highway travel and man o man, she has guzzled down the def. In 1700 miles , drank around 4 gallons. At least I know everything is burning properly or a code would of come up by now. The particulate gauge has went up to 25% a couple times then burned it off quickly. I'd definitely rather it work than not work.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used a " DEF Refractometer for Measuring Diesel Exhaust Fluid " to see if the DEF Fluid is up to par? I just got mine in and haven't had to add any DEF to the truck yet..

BTW, What is the difference between the one in the link Above and This One? They both have the Urea Graph/Scale..
You've not had to add any, have you not ran that baby. . That tool is pretty interesting, how's it work and what's it measure. In 2300 miles so far, I've went through 6 gallons of def.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
You've not had to add any, have you not ran that baby. . That tool is pretty interesting, how's it work and what's it measure. In 2300 miles so far, I've went through 6 gallons of def.

I have about 1700 miles on her now. 20% of that is pulling heavy equipment around and the rest is mixed between city and hwy driving. My DEF Gauge shows I have about 60% left in the tank. I figured I would wait until I reach 20% or 30% before I fill it up. About a week after I took delivery I think I caught the truck Re-generating as I recognized that smell and a lot of heat coming from under the truck near the front passenger door. I immediately check my filter gauge and it was at 0 and It has been there every time I checked.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have about 1700 miles on her now. 20% of that is pulling heavy equipment around and the rest is mixed between city and hwy driving. My DEF Gauge shows I have about 60% left in the tank. I figured I would wait until I reach 20% or 30% before I fill it up. About a week after I took delivery I think I caught the truck Re-generating as I recognized that smell and a lot of heat coming from under the truck near the front passenger door. I immediately check my filter gauge and it was at 0 and It has been there every time I checked.
On my 1700 mile trip I've noticed the dpf gauge jump up to 25% a couple times but no problems . Knock on wood. I ran it to low today and the warning light came on then later the 200 mile warning light came on to warn of 5mph restriction, so I had to do like some of the guys and put the Waly world stuff in it. Yikes, I'm scared

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
When I first picked up my truck the dealer had filled the DEF (and fuel) tank(s). The first eighteen-hundred miles it drained the DEF fairly low. Refilled with just over four gallons of Peak BlueDEF and it didn't use half of that the next 1800 miles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When I first picked up my truck the dealer had filled the DEF (and fuel) tank(s). The first eighteen-hundred miles it drained the DEF fairly low. Refilled with just over four gallons of Peak BlueDEF and it didn't use half of that the next 1800 miles.

Dealer probably watering down that pricey MOPAR DEF.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I tell yah, you all know how i freak about the wally world stuff, but I had to do it today since I was out while traveling. So went into Wal-Mart to just buy a gallon wich wax like $5 , and the 2.6 gal was only $8. They had 6 : 1 gal jugs, but every one of them had a broken seal under the cap and the white flaky junk was all over the bottles. Do you know me , that freaked me out and I picked up one of the 2.5 jugs that was clean and seal was still good. 1/4 off the price as mopar, let's see how it does, I don't see myself converting over but it was nice in a pinch.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading something about throwing codes if the DEF tank is over-filled, and this was aside from the freezing/cracking hazard if too full. CRS, again.
I'm pretty sure Ram produced one of their instruction videos that says it's okay to overfill the DEF Reservoir and not to worry about it, so that's interesting that it throws codes because of that.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading something about throwing codes if the DEF tank is over-filled, and this was aside from the freezing/cracking hazard if too full. CRS, again.
Thanks.. I'll search around. It's strange, I have drove it several times and the gauge goes up to 100% and then after ~2 miles, it drops back to 0%. I'm thinking I have to lower/use some of the DEF before the sensor is able to register the DEF level. Live in the Portland OR area so freezing was not an issue.
I'm pretty sure Ram produced one of their instruction videos that says it's okay to overfill the DEF Reservoir and not to worry about it, so that's interesting that it throws codes because of that.

When I was taking delivery of my Ram a short while back, I was standing in the drive through service bay watching the sales person putting DEF in my tank from a one gallon jug, he overfilled it with DEF running down the side of the truck soaking his pants as well. I am now at about 60% on my gauge and haven't had and problems with the gauge or any warnings. I haven't had to add any DEF yet but will check it out again when I have to add some in a few weeks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I tell yah, you all know how i freak about the wally world stuff, but I had to do it today since I was out while traveling. So went into Wal-Mart to just buy a gallon wich wax like $5 , and the 2.6 gal was only $8. They had 6 : 1 gal jugs, but every one of them had a broken seal under the cap and the white flaky junk was all over the bottles. Do you know me , that freaked me out and I picked up one of the 2.5 jugs that was clean and seal was still good. 1/4 off the price as mopar, let's see how it does, I don't see myself converting over but it was nice in a pinch.

I'll admit, I check the seals too on anything I buy and went through a few 2.5 jugs before I found one intact. I wonder if the DEF breaks down the bond.

D

Deleted member 80

Some seals are broken, but I think some of it is splash from the fill process, and I know for sure some of them that are properly sealed break just by unscrewing and removing the lid when I check them.

Users who are viewing this thread