Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heater Matrix Death Bolt Thing!

Southernspeed

Reaction score
I was unaware of this problem but it’s kind of worrying to say the least. The more I read, the more I worry!
If I were to switch to a Banks Monster intake on my ‘21 HO, would it void the warranty?
I’m surprised this hasn’t been a recall item, or is it not actually such a big problem as the internet would have me believe?

Riddick

Reaction score
Yes, this is an issue and has been for many years. The chance of this happening is extremely low but the risk is there. There is a member on here who has a 22' and had this happen to his truck and it took out his engine.

As for the Banks intake horn and your warranty that will depend on your dealer. In my opinion any part that increases airflow to the engine creates an opportunity for RAM to deny any warranty claim on your engine. Worst case you would lose the warranty on your engine but everything else should be covered. You are removing OEM systems from the truck (grid heater) and replacing them with non OEM parts that "potentially" add power to your truck. RAM would have a solid argument if you took them to court over an engine warranty claim.

My advice is dont watch the Banks videos which lead you to believe this will happen to all trucks. Drive and enjoy your truck while you have a warranty and maybe RAM will have a recall on this one day. Once your warranty is expired if it still bothers you then you have aftermarket options. If you search for "jiggle test" it shows you a method to check your grid heater to see if the bolt is backing out takes literally 10 seconds.

Last edited:

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
1k to save your 20k engine plus the driveability difference is worth it imo....it might be a little costly but you'll like the change....no weekly tests ....no worrying....plus it looks pimp under the hood....lots of banks haters will say it does nothing and then turn around and say adding power will void your warranty....they can't seem to make up their minds....warranty? Who knows....the dealers I frequent I've asked about mods and they don't care about hard parts....it's the tuning they care about...I say put that sucker in there and enjoy the benefits...

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_145927543_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230211_145927543_HDR.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 52

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
1k to save your 20k engine plus the driveability difference is worth it imo....it might be a little costly but you'll like the change....no weekly tests ....no worrying....plus it looks pimp under the hood....lots of banks haters will say it does nothing and then turn around and say adding power will void your warranty....they can't seem to make up their minds....warranty? Who knows....the dealers I frequent I've asked about mods and they don't care about hard parts....it's the tuning they care about...I say put that sucker in there and enjoy the benefits...
If they had a better heater i would do it too but its not good enough for the cold winters we have

gimmie11s

Reaction score

What are the benefits other than "looking pimp" and avoiding the bolt problem that most will never ever ever have.

You mention drivability.. if this is actually a thing, I might be interested.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
What are the benefits other than "looking pimp" and avoiding the bolt problem that most will never ever ever have.

More air to turbo faster....takes out a chunk of the turbo lag....I've put 2 in....one on an HO and one on an SO....it's more noticeable on the HO...still a nice gain on the SO....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

The banks horn i had put on my 05 did help the turbo spool slightly faster it was a noticeable improvement with that and the banks dual exhaust.

It was 700$ at the time for both. Do i think the 1000$ is worth it not really. But good ol inflation has everything over priced these days

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The banks horn i had put on my 05 did help the turbo spool slightly faster it was a noticeable improvement with that and the banks dual exhaust.

It was 700$ at the time for both. Do i think the 1000$ is worth it not really. But good ol inflation has everything over priced these days

Holy crap I had no idea it was that expensive. Id imagine someone other than Banks makes a similar produce for half the price if that's the case.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score

I agree....it is pricey...but hey...you can't take it with you....YOLO!

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Hi IndyRamMega. What is the doohickey coming off of your oil filler cap in the picture?

Riddick

Reaction score
Holy crap I had no idea it was that expensive. Id imagine someone other than Banks makes a similar produce for half the price if that's the case.

There are a few aftermarket grid heater delete plates and intake horns available. However, I believe Banks is the only one to offer an intake horn with provisioning for the "pimp" EGR components and provisioning for a grid heater as well.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
There are a few aftermarket grid heater delete plates and intake horns available. However, I believe Banks is the only one to offer an intake horn with provisioning for the "pimp" EGR tube and provisioning for a grid heater as well.

That makes a lot of sense.

Did you put one on your truck? Interested in your thoughts if so..

Riddick

Reaction score
Did you put one on your truck? Interested in your thoughts if so..
Negative, cannot bring myself to spend that much coin. Truck is under warranty, once expired I will more than likely pull stock horn and cut out OEM grid heater and reinstall. For this option you 1) Have to be tuned for it unless you like staring at orange lights and 2) Do not live in a cold climate. I have started my truck by bypassing grid heater in 20 degree temps with no problems. We plan on settling down in the South so I will not need it. I have a box of parts sitting in the garage waiting to go on but not until warranty is up. I do not have faith in the 68, must keep warranty :).

Users who are viewing this thread