Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filled DEF for first time - DEF gauge shows zero then 100 percent and check engine light on

gyoung360

Reaction score
I fill the DEF reservoir for the first time (2200 miles) and filled till it stopped, level showed 100%. The truck sat for 5 days and when I started the "check engine light" was on and the gauge showed 0%. I drove for a bit and the gauge bounced to 100% then back to 0 %. Check engine light remained on.
Questions:
Do I need to run the DEF reservoir lower so the sensor can register the tank? Will the "Check Engine Light" go off once the DEF gauge registers 100%?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
You need to first find out what DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are behind the illuminated MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) aka check engine light. The indicating system in your DEF tank might be pooched.

D

Deleted member 80

I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading something about throwing codes if the DEF tank is over-filled, and this was aside from the freezing/cracking hazard if too full. CRS, again.

gyoung360

Reaction score
I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading something about throwing codes if the DEF tank is over-filled, and this was aside from the freezing/cracking hazard if too full. CRS, again.
Thanks.. I
ll search around. It's strange, I have drove it several times and the gauge goes up to 100% and then after ~2 miles, it drops back to 0%. I'm thinking I have to lower/use some of the DEF before the sensor is able to register the DEF level. Live in the Portland OR area so freezing was not an issue.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I fill the DEF reservoir for the first time (2200 miles) and filled till it stopped, level showed 100%. The truck sat for 5 days and when I started the "check engine light" was on and the gauge showed 0%. I drove for a bit and the gauge bounced to 100% then back to 0 %. Check engine light remained on.
Questions:
Do I need to run the DEF reservoir lower so the sensor can register the tank? Will the "Check Engine Light" go off once the DEF gauge registers 100%?

I was having problems with the DEF gauge until the dealer installed the DEF update. See TSB 18-052-19 REV. A which fixes, "Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) level gauge inaccurate." Note that TSB 18-052-19 was superseded by the VB6 update.

gyoung360

Reaction score
So wanted to circle back on this post since the dealership resolve. It appears there was a leak at the DEF pump, which they replaced.. When the issue was not resolved, they discovered DEF fluid (which is very corrosive) damaged the wiring harness to the DEF pump and this also had to be replaced. Now the DEF gauge is stable.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Not sure on these residential models but on the commercial side, the Cummins technicians always told us don't let our mechanics or drivers ever top of the def tank to maximum capacity. I can't remember the rational behind there reasoning, I must remember when ever someone would full it to the top they would end up breaking down.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The tank is 5 gallons right?

When it's well under half, if you feel the need, top it off with a 2.5 gal jug or pump 2 gals from a truck stop. That's my plan. I "filled" mine from a jug when it was around 1/4" tank.

thestuarts

Reaction score
The manual contains a winter warning about topping off the DEF tank. If the DEF tank is completely full, the fluid has no place to expand into when it freezes.

1588236804953.png

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
The manual contains a winter warning about topping off the DEF tank. If the DEF tank is completely full, the fluid has no place to expand into when it freezes.
That's why I maintain the DEF level at about half full when the 6 to 7 months of freezing heck arrives. Moreover, the heater is much more effective when the tank is only half full.

carlrx7

Reaction score
My plan is to run the def down to the warning then add 2.5 gallons of fresh boxed def. It's gets HOT here and DEF doesn't last more than 2 months over 104 degrees

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
My plan is to run the def down to the warning then add 2.5 gallons of fresh boxed def. It's gets HOT here and DEF doesn't last more than 2 months over 104 degrees
I wouldn't think that it would get that hot being under the truck and in the shade, but who knows. I always just put the 2.5 gal jug in once it gets to a quarter tank. I always buy the mopar stuff kept indoors, ( not the pilot stuff sitting out in the heat), and if I don't put it in right away, I keep it indoors out of the heat or direct sun. It always makes me cringe seeing people buying the cheap stuff sitting outside at a gas station.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Don't buy it by the gallon, it's to expensive that way. I only buy it by the 2.5 gallon jug for $25. Everyone has there own brands they stick with, I'm very loyal to mine. When it comes to def and my regen system , I'm not looking for a deal, I'm looking for the best product I can by and that the manufacturer recommends. Weather it makes a difference or not, i believe it does and it makes me feal better to use it. I do stand by my comments of buying the stuff at fuel stations setting outside ( in my opinion) is just rolling the dice with your money, and I'm not a gambler. I've Seen what can happen to these systems. There extremely finicky and once you open yourself up to problems, it just don't seam to stop and your wallet book stays open

carlrx7

Reaction score
Don't buy it by the gallon, it's to expensive that way. I only buy it by the 2.5 gallon jug for $25. Everyone has there own brands they stick with, I'm very loyal to mine. When it comes to def and my regen system , I'm not looking for a deal, I'm looking for the best product I can by and that the manufacturer recommends. Weather it makes a difference or not, i believe it does and it makes me feal better to use it. I do stand by my comments of buying the stuff at fuel stations setting outside ( in my opinion) is just rolling the dice with your money, and I'm not a gambler. I've Seen what can happen to these systems. There extremely finicky and once you open yourself up to problems, it just don't seam to stop and your wallet book stays open
I understand. When I had my VW Passat I only ran the holy grail VW adblue. At least that was only $13 for 2.5 gallons at the dealership. I wish kept the car, but that buyback offer was too good pass up. #dieselgate

bearcat

Reaction score
Filled DEF for the first time and used a battery pump from Harbor Freight no mess.Tank was ar 1/2 put in 2.5 gallons shows full20200522_154322.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Filled DEF for the first time and used a battery pump from Harbor Freight no mess.Tank was ar 1/2 put in 2.5 gallons shows fullView attachment 4684
I wouldnt think that pump would last very long against that nasty stuff, you'll have to keep us posted. I've used an 1/8th of a tank on 750 miles. Bear cat, your gonna give me a stroke using that Wally world def on a new truck. You guys make me drink. o_Olol

D

Deleted member 80

DEF is DEF. 32.5% urea, and 67.5% DI water. No additive packages or custom formulas. Other than one top off at a Flying J, my truck has only seen Supertech DEF. If NAPA or O'Reilly has a deal on theirs, that's fine too. I always check date codes, and make sure the seals on the bottles are intact. I plan to get a tester just to do spot checks.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Cow urine is cow urine.....
I used to have a cattle farm and have had lots of Crap and pee and after birth on me and none of those could eat a whole through concrete Luke that nasty def junk.
DEF is DEF. 32.5% urea, and 67.5% DI water. No additive packages or custom formulas. Other than one top off at a Flying J, my truck has only seen Supertech DEF. If NAPA or O'Reilly has a deal on theirs, that's fine too. I always check date codes, and make sure the seals on the bottles are intact. I plan to get a tester just to do spot checks.

As far as all def is the same, I would have to politely disagree. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I look at it like, not all oil, gas, fuel, food, clothes quality is the same. Sure there genetic make ups are all pretty much the same, every manufacture has there own recipe ( per say), so they can set there products to compare to other manufacturers and say this is why were better. I don't think I'd be going to far out on a limb to also say, probably most people have there favorite ( whatever, you name it), most folks get certain products because they believe for what ever reason that product is of better quality than other like products.
In saying all that, I'm the guy who will only use rotella t oil and shell fuel. I'll only drink great value soda and eat Oscar meyer dogs . For 40+ years I've only worn dickey work pants. So as you can tell, I'm a firm believer in the old adage of all things are not created equal. Whatever that equal bottom line is, is up to each individual to decide. MOPAR DEF ONLY IN MY TRUCK, , unless I can't find a dealer that sells the 2.5 gal jug. Thats why I always start looking for one once i get to half a tank full, then put it in once i get down to a quarter

Users who are viewing this thread