Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7L vs ecodiesel mpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Why does 6.7L deleted and tuned get near 30mpg but an ecodiesel vehicle weighing half as much deleted or not can't get much better?
Why can't 6.7L magic be reduced in size get twice or even half again as good of results?

Because people lie about their mileage…

They aren’t getting 30 mpg with a HD truck.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
18-20 empty on the deleted HD. Maybe if your out in the plains you could see 22.
I'm stock, get about 22ish highway only, but am in the flatlands of NC. Biggest grade I see out here is .5%

I've seen the dash read up to 24 averaged over about 150 miles hwy driving, but did not hand calculate and have my suspicions.

MtnRider

Reaction score
People lie, (or most likely don't know common math) and the computer lies.... 30mpg is a pipe dream.

jasonjjn

Reaction score
30MPG?

LOL
I haven't calculated at the pump and I know the computer isn't 100% but I can easily pass 29 mountain highway driving. WA doesn't really have any flat to test on. Before the delete my average was 18. Now my average is always over 27 if I am not towing.

whitexc

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Kidding with yah but if you get that kind of mileage it belongs in a museum.

jasonjjn

Reaction score
I will try a pump back to pump calculated trip some time to see if the mpg calculator is that far off.

sanda

Reaction score
I'm stock, get about 22ish highway only, but am in the flatlands of NC. Biggest grade I see out here is .5%

I've seen the dash read up to 24 averaged over about 150 miles hwy driving, but did not hand calculate and have my suspicions.
The evic mpg is nothing but a feel good guage. Hand calculate to see your true mpg.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't calculated at the pump and I know the computer isn't 100% but I can easily pass 29 mountain highway driving. WA doesn't really have any flat to test on. Before the delete my average was 18. Now my average is always over 27 if I am not towing.

If your tune involves added or modified duration then the lie-o-meter is even less accurate than stock as you’re burning more fuel than the truck thinks.

jasonjjn

Reaction score
If your tune involves added or modified duration then the lie-o-meter is even less accurate than stock as you’re burning more fuel than the truck thinks.
Yes, it is, also air intake and cp3 pressure pump.

Firebird

Reaction score
My ecodiesel got 31mpg in flat Florida hand calculated, never going above 70 mph. I had 3.55 gears and air suspension with aero mode. Never had an HD Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 get above 20 mpg in same terrain

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
6000 miles on my new 6.7, leveled running 35’s. Hand calculated I’ve never seen better than 17 if I drive it easy. Of course I didn’t buy it for the mileage I bought it cause it’s a beast !!!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Lie-o-meter could be pretty accurate in some (most??) situations. It is more than likely using a "fuel burnt over the most recent XXX miles" formula. If you're just doing flat highway driving it would be pretty accurate, if you towed heavy through a mountain gange and then unhitched and drove like a 80yo grandpa then it will show waaay too optimistic MPG.

jebruns

Reaction score
Lie-o-meter could be pretty accurate in some (most??) situations. It is more than likely using a "fuel burnt over the most recent XXX miles" formula. If you're just doing flat highway driving it would be pretty accurate, if you towed heavy through a mountain gange and then unhitched and drove like a 80yo grandpa then it will show waaay too optimistic MPG.
The one in my 18 2500 CTD was not. The most inaccurate runs for it were unloaded highway cruising. Best I ever saw with it was on a long unloaded trip. I was always at 9mph over the limit, so 79-84mph for a couple thousand miles. EVIC indicated as high as 23.5mpg. Hand calc said 21.5. Which I was still happy with, but a pretty big delta. Towing, it's closer, but rarely what I'd call accurate. I hand calculate pretty much every fillup and compare. I don't have enough miles on my 22 to say yet. I expect about the same though.

IMO, if you're not hand calculating your mileage, you really don't know what it is.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mine is pretty close other than idling in the winter. My last 600km trip the dash said 24.5mpg and hand calculated was 24mpg so thats not bad

Users who are viewing this thread